• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Targets of grand tour riders in 2020

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I would also expect those 2 to start (Selig certainly and Schwarzmann very likely) and then I guess its also very likely that the last spot goes to Benedetti to pull in the peloton. Indeed its extraordinarily early planning, but I guess that can be a good advantage in the preparations, and it will be a strong Giro-team for sure. The big surprise for me is not saving Konrad for the TDF. I would have thought they'd use someone like Poljanski instead as Majka helper.
Poitschke said Konrad had been of no use at this year's TdF so they will bring someone else next year.

Unless he crashes he won't leave the Tour. You from all people should know this.

That's very likely. Heck in 2002 when he went to la Vuelta for the first time it was decided before the race started he was going home on the first rest day. (Team didn't want to burn him out). He tried talking them into letting him finish the race. However, he is claiming he's going to leave the Tour early to go to the Olympics. However, you have a point that his own personality may not let him leave unless the team basically puts him on a plane. His comment about making the decision on when to leave during the race, could easily end up with him riding all the way to Paris because he can't bring himself to abandon a race early.

So with a few days left this year, the list of the teams which already comunicated the targets for the next year of their grand tour riders gets longer and longer.

What we alreday know:
Trek (Nibali, Porte, Mollema)
CCC (Zakarin)
Movistar (Valverde, Mas)
Arkea (Quintana, Barguil)
Astana (Fuglsang, Lopez)
Bora (Buchmann, Konrad, Majka)
FDJ (Pinot)
Israel (Martin)
Sunweb (Keldermann)
AG2R (Bardet. Latour)

What´s still not certain, although we've already heard some rumors:
Jumbo Visma (Dumoulin, Roglic, Kruiswijk)
Ineos (Froome, Bernal, Thomas, Carapaz, Sivakov)
Mitchelton Scott (S.Yates, A.Yates)
UAE (Aru, Pogacar)
Bahrein-Merida (Landa, Poels)

A bit of a surprise if true, Gianetti and Saronni wanted to send him to the Giro. He prefers lower temperatures, so the Giro should be better for him. It would also be easier to give him a team that is filled with climbers for the Giro, at the Tour he'll have to coexist with Gaviria and his train.
Imo it's one year too early, let him ride Giro-Vuelta in 2020.

A bit of a surprise if true, Gianetti and Saronni wanted to send him to the Giro. He prefers lower temperatures, so the Giro should be better for him. It would also be easier to give him a team that is filled with climbers for the Giro, at the Tour he'll have to coexist with Gaviria and his train.
Imo it's one year too early, let him ride Giro-Vuelta in 2020.
I think there's 1 argument against that Giro and that's that it's early in his career for Giro/Vuelta and Giro also means you have to ride a light spring schedule. Plus it means the Olympics are mostly out as targets.

But not sure how big the championships would be for him as targets. Depending on where Pog feels his qualities lie, he could go either way.

And I think the "best" option depends a lot on where Ineos and Jumbo send their team leaders.

Interesting. He will also ride the tour.
So I think now that at least one of the others two (Roglic or Dumoulin) will ride the giro as captain. Otherwise they should lead Kruiswijk the giro and not the vuelta.
My tip is
Giro: Dumoulin
Tour: Roglic, Dumoulin, Kruiswijk
Vuelta: Kruiswijk
Add Groenewegen Giro/Vuelta.

Dumoulin man, I hate how he keeps getting *** route screwed at the Tour, although he probably should've gone to the Tour in 2018.

Also, Giro/Tour Olympics is pointless for Dumoulin. If he goes to the Giro he should just copy Nibali's schedule, go to Olympics without Tour, add Vuelta and Worlds. Vuelta is the best route Dumoulin's gonna get there.

Thomas said, that he wants to target the tour.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/geraint-thomas-im-looking-at-targeting-the-tour-de-france-in-2020/
Carapaz says that he wants to defend his title at the giro.
https://www.wielerflits.be/nieuws/richard-carapaz-ook-in-2020-naar-giro-ditalia/
Froome wants to target his fifth title of the tour.
Bernal said a few weeks ago, that he wants to target the double.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/egan-bernal-keen-to-target-giro-tour-double-in-2020/

So if we assume that the team management will follow the statements of their riders the decision they will communicate is more or less obvious.

Giro: Bernal, Carapaz
Tour: Froome, Thomas, Bernal

The only question is, if Carapaz will also ride the tour (as a dom for the other three) and who will ride the vuelta.

I still think Bernal won't do the Giro but only the Tour while Carapaz will do Giro-Vuelta.
We will have to see.
In Thomas case I am more or less sure that he will not ride the giro next year. There had to be a few talks with the team management already about the topic and you don´t say a few days before the start of the new season a statement like this, if there still exists a chance that you will ride this race:

"You have to weigh up your position in the team and it's about what motivates you," Thomas said. "There is no point going to the Giro just to be the leader and only being 95% motivated. You need to be all-in. I'd love to do the Giro [to win] one year, but next year what excites me is the Tour again."

So if Bernal will not race the giro that would mean that their three top riders will have the tour as their one and only target for next year. Don´t think that this is what the team management really wants...

We will have to see.
In Thomas case I am more or less sure that he will not ride the giro next year. There had to be a few talks with the team management already about the topic and you don´t say a few days before the start of the new season a statement like this, if there still exists a chance that you will ride this race:

"You have to weigh up your position in the team and it's about what motivates you," Thomas said. "There is no point going to the Giro just to be the leader and only being 95% motivated. You need to be all-in. I'd love to do the Giro [to win] one year, but next year what excites me is the Tour again."

So if Bernal will not race the giro that would mean that their three top riders will have the tour as their one and only target for next year. Don´t think that this is what the team management really wants...
Or Thomas is talking in the press to try and put pressure on managment to send him to the Tour.

Groenewegen was talking about wanting the Tour again, but Jumbo would be insane to send him there for example.

Unless there's no chance Froome is competitive, Froome/Bernal at the Tour and Thomas/Carapaz at the Giro seems like a no brainer to me. Carapaz can lead the Vuelta while you fill out the mountain train roles with the likes of Sivakov, Hart, Sosa et al.

TRENDING THREADS