• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TDF 2012: Titans Collide. Dennis Menchov Versus Cadel Evans...possible rivalry.

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The big favourites in my view are Cadel, Andy and Wiggins. Nibali, Sanchez and maybe Menchov ( the maybe is only because of him being non- existent ) are the other people who i think could challenge realistically.

Vino exceeds realistic views of course so he shall also be counted.

At this moment I would rate the favourites for the Tour as follows (taking into account past form, this year's form, and the Tour parcours.)

***** Evans

**** Wiggins, Sanchez

*** Nibali, Schleck

** Van den Broeck, Rolland, Menchov

* Klöden, Leipheimer, Gesink, Mollema

Before this season, Schleck and Menchov would have been rated higher.

That said I have already had a flutter e/w on both Nibali and Menchov, as this is where the value bets lie.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
***** No one deserves 5 stars at this point, 5 stars would be for Armstrong or Contador types

**** Nibali, Schleck, Menchov, Wiggins, Sanchez, Evans

*** Leipheimer, other RSNT,

** Mollema, JVDB, Valverde

* some other folk.

If Leipheimer hadn't crashed he could well be on 4* being OPQS and all.

Pretty open IMO.

karlboss said:
***** No one deserves 5 stars at this point, 5 stars would be for Armstrong or Contador types

* some other folk.

Pretty open IMO.

Yep, cant wait :)

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Please don't forget that Evans is 35 now.He already was the oldest winner of the last 40 years. So I don't believe he can keep his form for 3 weeks at this age.

Menchov is 34. Men in my country are known to decline early. So he is too old for the win.

Sanchez is 34 and he was not good in 2011 Grand tours. May be he can but he is not the best climber and not the best TT.

Wiggins? He never was good in the mountains. He lost EVERY stage in the mountains in GT to the favourites.

Andy Schleck lost 2001 TDF because he worked for Franck and lost about 2 minutes because of it. And remember that he is now with Bruyneel and he will be stronger than ever because of excellent doping system of Bruyneel. He will get his win.

Nibali will be second and hope Menchov will be 3rd. Van den Broeck 4th and Cadel 5th.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Angulo said:
Please don't forget that Evans is 35 now.He already was the oldest winner of the last 40 years. So I don't believe he can keep his form for 3 weeks at this age.

Menchov is 34. Men in my country are known to decline early. So he is too old for the win.

Sanchez is 34 and he was not good in 2011 Grand tours. May be he can but he is not the best climber and not the best TT.

Wiggins? He never was good in the mountains. He lost EVERY stage in the mountains in GT to the favourites.

Andy Schleck lost 2001 TDF because he worked for Franck and lost about 2 minutes because of it. And remember that he is now with Bruyneel and he will be stronger than ever because of excellent doping system of Bruyneel. He will get his win.

Nibali will be second and hope Menchov will be 3rd. Van den Broeck 4th and Cadel 5th.

There is not much that is right here, but the bit about Nibali coming second and Menchov 3rd could possibly materialise.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
karlboss said:

* some other folk.

Pretty open IMO.

I think Menchov is more of a ***, hes closer to Levi than he is Nibali, thats for sure.

I think the presence of Nibali changes the dynamic of the race considerably:
he has been attacking alot this year and is one more good climber.

It adds another climber to the ranks which could make the race better.

Jan the Man said:
At this moment I would rate the favourites for the Tour as follows (taking into account past form, this year's form, and the Tour parcours.)

***** Evans

**** Wiggins, Sanchez

*** Nibali, Schleck

** Van den Broeck, Rolland, Menchov

* Klöden, Leipheimer, Gesink, Mollema
Let me re-shuffle it a little bit to reflect a more realistic scenario
***** Nibali, Evans
**** Sanchez, Wiggins
*** Gesink, Rolland, Van den Broeck
** Menchov, A. Schleck
* Klöden, Leipheimer, Mollema

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Nibali is a climber of "Menchov, Sanchez" league. And he is better TT than Andy Gesink, Rolland and van den Broeck. And he is young.

Who can beat him in the mountains? Only Aschleck.
He can beat everyone except Sanchez on downhill.
He CAN attack in the mountains.

Hope he will have strong team.

Angulo said:
Nibali is a climber of "Menchov, Sanchez" league. And he is better TT than Andy Gesink, Rolland and van den Broeck. And he is young.

Who can beat him in the mountains? Only Aschleck.
He can beat everyone except Sanchez on downhill.
He CAN attack in the mountains.

Hope he will have strong team.

Nibali is by now a better descender than Sanchez.

Samu admits that he is a worse descender these days than he was before, often misinterpreted by resident experts as him saying he doesn't want to take risks now that he has kids, which ignores the fact that he had a son before he had even completed a gt.

In the mountains, based on past form though, Sanchez should drop Nibali. Of course Nibali on Giro 2010 form is something to be reckoned with, particularly looking at Grappa and Mortirolo, but I think Sanchez in Tour 2010 clearly 3rd best, and some of his 2011 performance, particularly Gap, is slightly better.

cineteq said:
Let me re-shuffle it a little bit to reflect a more realistic scenario
***** Nibali, Evans
**** Sanchez, Wiggins
*** Gesink, Rolland, Van den Broeck
** Menchov, A. Schleck
* Klöden, Leipheimer, Mollema

lol, ignoring the tongue in cheek decleration of Nibali as the favourite, where exactly are Gesink, Rolland and Van den Broeck going to take time on Andy Schleck?

The Hitch said:
lol, ignoring the tongue in cheek decleration of Nibali as the favourite, where exactly are Gesink, Rolland and Van den Broeck going to take time on Andy Schleck?
TTs among other stages ;)
The question is, rather, where Andy Schleck is going to take time on anybody?

Actually, let me correct myself:
** Menchov,
* Klöden, Leipheimer, Mollema, A. Schleck