• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Astana's shameful legacy

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Vino rose through the ranks during the Ferrari years. Honestly, we'd be crazy to think he wouldn't contact Il Mito to train his riders.

I'll be honest though. I loved watching Vino race. He raced with panache. He was the anti-Armstrong. Vino was the wildcard in what was otherwise a stacked deck.

Moose McKnuckles said:
Vino rose through the ranks during the Ferrari years. Honestly, we'd be crazy to think he wouldn't contact Il Mito to train his riders.

I'll be honest though. I loved watching Vino race. He raced with panache. He was the anti-Armstrong. Vino was the wildcard in what was otherwise a stacked deck.

It's much easier to race with panache when you are loaded like a mule with PEDs. It is for that reason that I have never appreciated Vino's drug fueled attacks.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Armstrong: Doped his way to 7 TDF victories
Paid off other riders to win races (see Thrift Drug Classic)
Paid off the UCI to cover up positive tests
Protected and tipped off to OOC tests by Nat. Fed.
Blacklisted journalists
Threatened anyone who spoke out against "the myth" with law suits
Started a "Charity" which personally enriched himself by millions as a shield to his doping
Lied about doping to his teams major sponsor

Vino: Doped his way to Olympic RR a number of classics and to race like an out of control berserker in TDF
Paid of other riders to win races
Protected by his Nat Fed
Sued the UCI
Didn't need to lie to his team's major sponsor about anything. ;-)

I would say Lance is the clear winner here.

All i am saying is that Armstrong had reason to believe in his own greatness, while Vino was doped to the max and couldn't even stand in his shadow apart from when he was handing out money to other riders. The guy is useless and obviously has mental problems. But hey, if it makes you happy, I will rephrase. Vino is the biggest crook currently active in cycling. Happy now?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
And yet, most PED-loaded folks don't race like that.

People were more aggressive before the EPO era. I doubt Vino's tactics had a lot to do with PEDs.
probably true, though obviously we would not have seen much of his tactics in the first pace if he had not been maximally jacked up. I don't think such tactics bring you much profit when you're trying to hang on at the back of the pack.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm not convinced that riding at his peak that Vino doped that well. On some days he looked amazing on others his legs would go. He seemed to struggle with recovery. I'm sure he would have had a GT or 2 more to his name. It's difficult to know, say for instance when he was riding at telecom if he was getting the same degree of advice " shall we say" as Jan did.

ray j willings said:
I'm not convinced that riding at his peak that Vino doped that well. On some days he looked amazing on others his legs would go. He seemed to struggle with recovery. I'm sure he would have had a GT or 2 more to his name. It's difficult to know, say for instance when he was riding at telecom if he was getting the same degree of advice " shall we say" as Jan did.
Or maybe he wasn't so talented.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Or maybe he wasn't so talented.

Good point. I Agree. When you look at some of the climbing talent that can last a full tour their's not to many. Most have a bad day or 2. I would say Bertie never seems to have a bad day. Froome always has a bad day or 2. Be interesting to see how Quintana does against a fully gassed Bertie and I would also be interested to see how Talansky go's. Nibs has never been able to climb with the likes of Bertie, Horner etc etc and I would be surprised, curious if he manages it this year. Valverde surprised me in the Vuleta with some of his climbing. He could be a dark horse to win a GT this year.

the guy was a fuccin machine from the start

photo_8919.jpg

1162152923.jpg

how much i miss him :(

hrotha said:
And yet, most PED-loaded folks don't race like that.

People were more aggressive before the EPO era. I doubt Vino's tactics had a lot to do with PEDs.

Honestly hrotha I would expect better than this from you.

It's like saying nice guys don't dope. There isn't a standard "doper" and different dopers use dope to apply different tactics. Cippolini and Armstrong had different tactics - both mega dopers.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/kazakhs_considered_to_close_astana_team/

After the doping cases of last year, the Kazakh Cycling Federation considered to close the Astana WorldTour team of Tour de France champion Vincenzo Nibali.

At the official team presentation in Dubai, the President of the national federation, Darkhan Kaletayev, revealed the considerations. "I can not deny that we considered to pull the plug on this whole project," said the president. "We have stopped the continental team and also looked at the image of the professional team. But it was clear that the Astana team is an incredibly successful project for Kazakhstan."

The Astana riders Maxim and Valentin Iglinsky tested positive for EPO while three riders from the continental team were caught doping. Kaletayev has asked the International Cycling Union UCI for advice about how to get rid of the problems

"In many areas, changes have been made," Kaletayev continued. "We have already introduced a biological passport for juniot riders and track riders. There will be more control at races in Kazakhstan. During the winter, the pro team has been investigated by the University of Lausanne. Our internal regulations have been sharpened. We will keep a closer eye on all of our riders."

LOL... This is what happens when a team is under scrutiny...

They perfect their doping systems, and head of federation basically admits that they are "too big to fail"....

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
?We want to get our credibility back as a matter of urgency,?
?I can hardly put each rider under guard,? he said. ?We still want to win Grand Tours, but we will prove that we are credible.?

However he faulted the young riders of the country, saying that they didn?t have the right mentality.

?With all the policy makers of our country, I am convinced that the culture of the Kazakh youth must change urgently,? he said. ?They think they cannot win without false means.

And how do you get your credibility back? With an independent investigation of course. Can't wait to see the results which will of course show that Astana are cleans.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Vino-Kolobnev. Two names, forever entwined.
Credibility.
I know Kolobnev at CSC. He had a brilliant Evans Mondrisio Worlds. Was that 2009? He, Cancellara, and the Slipstream rider with the mustache Cozza, we all brilliant in that race. Canc was mvp, but Kolobnev went away with Evans on the final 7 kms or so on the last lap.

But it was Kashechkin who was the tied at the hip Astana rider when they were fighting over the spoils for GC leadership.I thought Kashechkin had the better ability tho

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vinokourov-questions-bmc-and-team-skys-absence-from-mpcc

Vino said:
I have discussed this with Roger Legeay, the president of the MPCC. We are affiliated to the MPCC and we really do everything to prevent our riders from doping. Teams like BMC and Team Sky talk about doping but they refuse to join the MPCC. How harmful is that for the image of cycling?

Vino said:
I have always maintained that this is a different matter than, for example, Rabobank or T-Mobile [for whom Vinokourov himself raced - ed.], where there was talk of organized doping from the team, In our team, there was only the family scandal of the brothers Maxim and Valentin Iglinskiy, who acted on their own

Vino on credibility

&#8220]

And on doping prevention

Every directeur sportif accompanies five or six riders and has contact with them every three days. The same applies to our doctors. We require that all of our riders send their training data to us daily. If someone puts out different wattages, there’s an immediate alarm bell. What more can we do? Put a guard next to each rider?

Vino:
Every directeur sportif accompanies five or six riders and has contact with them every three days. The same applies to our doctors. We require that all of our riders send their training data to us daily. If someone puts out different wattages, there?s an immediate alarm bell. What more can we do? Put a guard next to each rider?

Well you could resign and the guy who would take over could get rid of half the doctors on the team (random selection). Replace a few more DSs down the road.

Result: Slight increase in credibility and some cost savings to boot.

TRENDING THREADS