• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
PremierAndrew said:
How I'd go about the double bid

Tour:

Froome
Thomas
Henao
Kwiat
Nieve
Ellisonde
Kiry
Stannard
Rowe

Vuelta:
Froome
Landa
Deignan
Nieve
Kennaugh
Poels
Dibben
Puccio
Moscon

well we know Landa and Poels will be at the Tour so not sure what your approach proves ??

I think the Tour team might look something like:

Froome
Thomas
Landa
Henao
Poels
Nieve
Kwiatkowski
Kennaugh (Kiri)
Stannard (Rowe)

In that form looks ridiculously strong. Of course if they need more mountain doms, they could add Rosa to the mix :D

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site

bambino said:
I think the Tour team might look something like:

Froome
Thomas
Landa
Henao
Poels
Nieve
Kwiatkowski
Kennaugh (Kiri)
Stannard (Rowe)

In that form looks ridiculously strong. Of course if they need more mountain doms, they could add Rosa to the mix :D
Given their performances this season so far, I think they would prefer Rowe over Stannard (although I'd pick both, instead of Kennaugh I guess). But yeah, ridiculously strong, given that they have the luxury to leave great riders at home...

Stannard wasn't great in the spring, but I'd be very surprised if he wasn't selected. Both he and Rowe are very strong on the flat which means Sky can pick 6 climbing doms for Froome. If they don't choose Stannard the only other rider who can offer similar is Knees.

Four climbing doms who seem to be shoe-ins are Thomas, Nieve, Henao and Kwiatkowski. That leaves Landa (wants to do Vuelta but maybe forced to ride the Tour) and Poels (recovery permitting).

Whichever way you look at it, it's an incredibly strong team. They could easily have 5 guys in the last 20-25 riders in the mountains.

Re:

rick james said:
Rowe and Stannard will be there

and probably Knees too (he's been on all the pre-Tour camps). The route this year is pretty light on mountains with only a handful of days where you'll need significant climbing support. A lot of the race will be decided on the flat in crashes and crosswinds.

Reading interviews earlier in the season it was indicated that Sky would have one less climber than last year.

Froome
Thomas
Kwiatkowski (replacing one of last year's climbers)
Knees (replacing Kiryienka)
Stannard
Rowe

Then three climbers out of Landa, Nieve, Poels and Sergio Henao. Poels will have to show very well at Route du Sud after being out injured for so long. It's probably more likely that Landa takes Poels' place in the team.

No place for Kennaugh, Lopez or Boswell. None of them have done enough to push out the superior climbers in the team. Kiryienka and Rosa rode the Giro and will be rested for the Vuelta.

Riders who definitely won't be going: Doull, Dibben, TGH (neo-pros), Viviani and Van Poppel (sprinters), Moscon (Vuelta), Wisniowski and Intxausti (long term injured/ill), Golas, Puccio, Elissonde, Seb Henao, Deignan (Giro doms).

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

Sky's Tour Team: I'm confident on this

1 Froome
2 Thomas
3 Rowe
4 Kwiatkowski
5 Landa (Dave Brailsford has said he's riding!)
6 Poels (If he's slightly recovered)
7 Stannard (If he's slightly recovered)

At this point, you have 1 leader, G, 2 classics doms, 2 climbing doms, 1 all rounder in (Qwiat)
I think they have enough firepower in Kwiatkowski, Thomas, Stannard & Rowe on the flat.
And Sky like to add climbers so I think they'll take

8 Nieve
9 Henao

Who have ridden the Tour previously and are reliable.

With Moscon filling in if they wanted a classics rider.
Moscon

Knees just isn't a top level rider anymore imo.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I pretty much agree with this post:

The_Beach said:
My take on the Tour team:
100% certain:
Froome
Thomas
Henao
Rowe
Kwaitkowski (In Sestriere with Froome atm)

95%
Poels (depending on his performance in Route du Sud, if terrible they might select another mountain dom)
Nieve (Could pick Kennaugh, but besides his stage win in Dauphiné, he hasn't showed anything this season)
Landa (pretty much confirmed it himself)

Last spot between Stannard and Knees. I would pick Knees, been better all season, and also a better climber, which might be useful in rolling terrain.

I think Knees is in 99% now since he's training with Froome and Stannard still looked weak today in Sud and has all season. Honestly I don't see Knees not starting right now.

Then 3 of Poels,Nieve,Landa,Kennaugh.

Poels looked ok today but the real test is tomorrow. If he goes well then ofc he's in, if he goes badly then I guess not. Kennaugh is probably in since he's reccing TDF stages with Froome also. Landa if they want him is there. Which makes it Nieve vs Poels for the last spot, which I guess we find out tomorrow how Poels goes.

So

Froome
Thomas
Henao
Rowe
Kwaitkowski
Knees
Kennaugh
Landa
Poels (or small chance Nieve)

As much as I like Stannard he's not getting in and I'm surprised at how many people still think he is. Even when he wasn't ill in the spring he wasn't performing at all. When the team is that competitive you have to show something at least once this year and he hasn't. He will be at la Vuelta I guess.

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
Re:

deValtos said:
I pretty much agree with this post:

The_Beach said:
My take on the Tour team:
100% certain:
Froome
Thomas
Henao
Rowe
Kwaitkowski (In Sestriere with Froome atm)

95%
Poels (depending on his performance in Route du Sud, if terrible they might select another mountain dom)
Nieve (Could pick Kennaugh, but besides his stage win in Dauphiné, he hasn't showed anything this season)
Landa (pretty much confirmed it himself)

Last spot between Stannard and Knees. I would pick Knees, been better all season, and also a better climber, which might be useful in rolling terrain.

I think Knees is in 99% now since he's training with Froome and Stannard still looked weak today in Sud and has all season. Honestly I don't see Knees not starting right now.

Then 3 of Poels,Nieve,Landa,Kennaugh.

Poels looked ok today but the real test is tomorrow. If he goes well then ofc he's in, if he goes badly then I guess not. Kennaugh is probably in since he's reccing TDF stages with Froome also. Landa if they want him is there. Which makes it Nieve vs Poels for the last spot, which I guess we find out tomorrow how Poels goes.

So

Froome
Thomas
Henao
Rowe
Kwaitkowski
Knees
Kennaugh
Landa

As much as I like Stannard he's not getting in and I'm surprised at how many people still think he is. Even when he wasn't ill in the spring he wasn't performing at all. When the team is that competitive you have to show something at least once this year and he hasn't. He will be at la Vuelta I guess.
As I also write in my comment, I completely agree with you regarding the Knees/Stannard debate.
And to some extent also with your point regarding Peter Kennaugh, but I think it would be stupid of them to bring him. Besides his win on the stage to Alpe d'Huez, his only other decent performance this year, was 28th on La Molina in Catalunya. In stage 6 he was dropped from the front group almost from the bottom of Mont du Chat, and before both Boswell and López. And in the Tour in 15' he didn't show anything either and DNF on stage 16.
So to sum up, I think they may bring both Kennaugh and Standard but I think it would be a huge mistake and could se both DNF at some point in the third week.

So, Froome was doing a recon of the stage 18 of this year's TDF with Kennaugh, Kwiatkowski and Knees. Of course, it probably means nothing, but we can assume that the lineup will be something like,
Froome
Thomas
Henao
Poels( depending on how he feels at RDS)
Nieve
Stannard
Rowe
Kwiatkowski
Kennaugh
Knees( 10th option)
So, there is a chance that Landa wont participate at the TDF and instead go to the Vuelta, hopefully =.=
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome-tackles-col-dizoard-in-tour-de-france-recon-news-shorts/

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Well the Route du Sud isn't really helping clear up this particular quagmire. Moscon (?!?) finishing 2nd on the hardest mountain stage, Henao and Elissonde finishing the stage top 10 while Thomas, Poels (and Stannard) are nowhere, not even keeping it together on the flat.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Question is what does ok mean? He wasn't awful today. I'm still sticking with

Froome
Thomas
Henao
Rowe
Kwaitkowski
Knees
Kennaugh
Landa

Just a bigger chance for Nieve now. Maybe moreso than Poels.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Pricey_sky said:
portugal11 said:
Sky looks really weak for le tour. Only landa seems to be a great help to froome in the mountains.

The only concern is Poels, no need for the rest to show anything at this stage. You can almost guarantee the train will be up and running in a few weeks.
Nieve, thomas, henao don't seem stellar too. And kwia isn't a climber at all

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site

portugal11 said:
Pricey_sky said:
portugal11 said:
Sky looks really weak for le tour. Only landa seems to be a great help to froome in the mountains.

The only concern is Poels, no need for the rest to show anything at this stage. You can almost guarantee the train will be up and running in a few weeks.
Nieve, thomas, henao don't seem stellar too. And kwia isn't a climber at all
I would say that Nieve is climbing pretty well in Suisse considering he hasn't raced in over two months. He was beaten by Kruijswijk, Hirt and Dombrowski coming from the Giro, and Špilak, Izaggire and Caruso who all are probably peaking for this race, while Nieve was scheduled to ride in Dauphiné supporting Froome.
Thomas hasn't raced since his injury and it seems reading the race rapport that he pulled a lot before the race was on tv.
And you can't really judge Henao by his perfomance today, he split the group but had to wait for Elissonde, so we never got to se his true form
And Kwiatkowski's climbing in Dauphiné was his best showing in over three years in the mountains