• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 76 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

del1962 said:
Bolder said:
Singer01 said:
Oliwright said:
DL and Brailsford really hate each other. Brailsford knows DL effectively leaked the salbutamol case and DL dislikes Brailsford as he's never going to be a quiet critic. It's a brilliant rivalry from 2 people urgently out of their depth in their jobs.

DL is proving to be remarkably stupid, his quotes today defending the fans who assault team sky, is a whole new level of incompetency. Brian Cookson was infinite my better than this ASO pupet.
Whatever you think of Brailsford his job is to win the tour de france, he does this with monotonous regularity. How can he be out of his depth?

Brailsford is brilliant at his job. He may be an absolute sh**, but he is getting results and his diatribe on Monday was a clever way to deflect attention from the Moscon fiasco. He knew exactly what he was doing. Put it this way: If your goal was to win the Tour de France, wouldn't you want him on your side? I would. It is not a race that is generally won by nice guys, let's put it that way.

Edit: But guys like Brailsford generally get their comeuppance. His day may very well be coming.

Lappartient...I have no idea if he's any good -- how would you measure it? I would think that being UCI president is a thankless job given the presence of ASO. It's not good when the owner of the biggest races has more power than the organizing group.

Did he leak the Salbutamol case? I don't see why he would. I think it came from deep within Sky itself, to be honest. You'd have to look at means, motive and opportunity.

Plenty haven't such as Alex Ferguson

Its a good comparison...there's a definite sense of the siege mentality tactics that some of the great football managers (Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho etc) habitually try to create around their teams at strategic times...

Re:

MartinGT said:
LA's recent podcast has Brailsford and Sky NAILED!

TBF whatever Lance says is probably not worth taking seriously. Since he will never have any credibility ever again.

I rigorously recommend some of the other excellent cycling shows other than Lance's. Lance has about as much credibility as Breitbart, Fox News or the Daily Mail.

Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
rick james said:
tell us what got said

Then please just ask that question in the first place, instead of posting silly pictures, it just makes everything run a little smoother.

Also what was said in the interview MartinGT? Unless its clinic related in which case any reference to the interview shouldn’t be posted here of course.

I did ask the question... with a picture

Oliwright said:
MartinGT said:

TBF whatever Lance says is probably not worth taking seriously. Since he will never have any credibility ever again.

I rigorously recommend some of the other excellent cycling shows other than Lance's. Lance has about as much credibility as Breitbart, Fox News or the Daily Mail.
On the contrary, Lance has a fairly unique perspective as a (disgraced) multi-Tour winner. Also, he doesn't have to hold back on anything anymore, so I'd say his comments can be quite enlightning.

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site

Moviefan1203 said:
wouterkaas said:
I noticed they left Moscon off the special jersey for today. I looked it up and in 2015 they included Kennaugh who abandoned during the Tour. Strange...

Sky might have had enough of his behavior.
Well yes. It’s just speculation, but my first thought was that it might’ve been intentional

Jagartrott said:
Oliwright said:
MartinGT said:

On the contrary, Lance has a fairly unique perspective as a (disgraced) multi-Tour winner. Also, he doesn't have to hold back on anything anymore, so I'd say his comments can be quite enlightning.
but he knows nothing about sky or what the team is doing

Jagartrott said:
Oliwright said:
MartinGT said:

His podcast is absolutely brilliant.
And the addition of GH for this TdF has been great.

Always fun to listen to the episodes.
And a lot of interesting insights into the race from someone that knows it perfectly.

rick james said:
Jagartrott said:
Oliwright said:
MartinGT said:

but he knows nothing about sky or what the team is doing

He doesn't need to know about Sky, he knows enough about cycling and Hincapie's input is even better. I think it's pretty good. Sometimes he gets other guests on there as well.

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Well sometimes their analyses can be quite interesting, but the next moment Lance advocates getting rid of helmets riding up a mountain because that would add more personality to climbing stages. :lol:

After winning Four Consecutive Grand Tours I think it would be
lovely if Sir Dave assembles a team only concerned with going
for Vuelta stage victories as rewards for all of the amazing and
unselfish contributions by SKY's super doms over the last year.

Oliwright said:
MartinGT said:

The credibility slope is a slippery one. History suggests that Armstrong is not in a group of one in that regard. It's just that he had more success than everyone else and had further to fall. To say he knows nothing about the sport or his opinion doesn't count for anything is ridiculous. Each to their own.

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site

oldcrank said:
De la Cruz is supposed to be leading, I think. I can't see him winning, which should give room for others (Kwiatkowski, Geoghegan Hart, Elissonde, Seb. Henao) to go for stages.

A lovely season so far for SKY's stagiaire Ethan Hayter on the track:
-Team Pursuit Gold at the World Championships in the Netherlands
-Team Pursuit Silver, Points Race Bronze at Commonwealth Games
-Team Pursuit Bronze, Omnium Gold and Madison Bronze (and the
only rider to medal in all three Olympic track endurance disciplines)
at the Euro's currently taking place at the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome.

I guess very soon we will be seeing how he does out on the roads,
maybe some 1-day races in Italy during September and October?

rlntlssly said:
oldcrank said:
De la Cruz is supposed to be leading, I think. I can't see him winning, which should give room for others (Kwiatkowski, Geoghegan Hart, Elissonde, Seb. Henao) to go for stages.

How about sexy Sergio? He's in Poland, his first race since the Giro - I would think he's gearing up for the Vuelta.

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
So what about the upcoming Vuelta squad?

So far we have:
- Kwiato
- De La Cruz
- Geoghehan Hart

What about the rest of the squad? Something along these lines I guess?
- Kiryienka
- Elissonde
- Sergio Henao
- Stannard/Knees
- Puccio/Castroviejo/Van Baarle

Re:

wouterkaas said:
So what about the upcoming Vuelta squad?

So far we have:
- Kwiato
- De La Cruz
- Geoghehan Hart

What about the rest of the squad? Something along these lines I guess?
- Kiryienka
- Elissonde
- Sergio Henao
- Stannard/Knees
- Puccio/Castroviejo/Van Baarle

Sergio and Seb Henao should ride. If the plan is to give De La Cruz a free role for GC and the rest target stages, they could be useful.