• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 81 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

These discussions are getting silly. I usually don't like to write a post in a "I am right and you are wrong way", I usually want to make arguments and be open to other opinions, but I've reached the point of thinking, why should I even care about this nonsense.
I'm usually rather bad at picking riders I become a fan of, as they usually don't live up to the expectations. Nibali is pretty much the only rider who won big races while I called myself a fan of him (and I only became a fan of him after he had already won big races), while I became a Contador fan in 2016 and rooted for Andy Schleck for his whole career. But then again since my childhood I find myself rooting for Real Madrid, and as a big Austrian alpine skiing fan I've always rooted for Marcel Hirscher. Real Madrid won four of the last 5 champions league titles and Marcel Hirscher won the overall world cup (the biggest thing you can win as an alpine skier) for unprecedented 7 times in a row. I'm still happy when they win, but to be honest, even I hope a different team will win the Champions League this year and if Hirscher doesn't win his 8th title in a row I definitely won't be mad and you know why? Because even I find that kind of dominance boring.
Yet year after year I find myself arguing with sky fans trying to find ways to explain why I'm not a big supporter of their team and at the same time trying not to be subjective but to look at things in a completely neutral way, because hey, everyone can have his opinion, right? And again it's fall and I'm staring at my screen in disbelief reading that the next big talented climber just terminated a seemingly already done deal with trek because he might now also want to join sky. Bernal, Sivakov, Sosa, I think if Sky somehow gets Evenepoel to sign for them they might have a bingo.
The thing is though, as many have written, the problem is not what sky is doing with their money, it's that they have so much money. As great as Bernal has been so far, this amount of money for a 21 year old is insane, but for them it's reasonable because as they have the money, why shouldn't they use it. As annoying as this disparity is and although it still makes me angry, I have accepted it. However what I do not accept and what motivated me to write this post is the ridiculous position the sky fans once again take in this discussion. Because they don't want to understand why what their team is doing is bad for the sport, because while I always tried to consider their opinions just like the opinion of anyone else, they apparently don't give a f*ck about what anyone else thinks and take their own opinion as granted. "The 2018 tour got rated way lower than the 2018 Vuelta? Oh f*ck it, that's nonsense, just admit the tour was better, just be honest" "Sosa might join Bernal at sky next season? Oh how beautiful it will be to watch sky throwing money at him while he is only the 6th last men for Froome in the next boring tdf mountain stage" Never do I find any posts by sky fans admitting that although they root for whoever sits in 2nd to last position of the train, the strength of the team is boring for the sport. Nowhere a spark of understanding. So are there just no sky fans who care about more than just their guy winning, are they too full of themselves to admit that, are they all just delusional or are they simply all trolls? What the f*ck is wrong with the fanbase of that team, serious question, what the f*ck is wrong?
I'm sorry for losing my patience and I will probably regret posting this tomorrow, but I just couldn't hold this back. This whole debate is just annoying and in reality a discussion between people who love a sport and people who love a team.

Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
rick james said:
And I wasn’t in the Vuelta as much because life got rather busy, dealing with a 18 week old baby boy takes its toll in other things in life

I have weirdly and very happily found that my baby daughter is pleasantly stupefied by televised cycling. That and snooker. I’ve never given a rats anus about snooker before, but now I think it’s a cultural treasure that should be on 24 hours a day.
Yes, my boy could sit and watch the cycling for hours, I think it’s the colours of the jerseys that he can see, and with them being fast moving it catches his attention

Gigs_98 said:
And again it's fall and I'm staring at my screen in disbelief reading that the next big talented climber just terminated a seemingly already done deal with trek because he might now also want to join sky. Bernal, Sivakov, Sosa, I think if Sky somehow gets Evenepoel to sign for them they might have a bingo.
They also did try to sign Evenepoel :Neutral:
Agree with the rest of your post. If I read here that someone finds it amusing that a Sky domestique is toying with all the other teams leaders, then I find myself wondering if that person actually is a cycling fan. It really is becoming ridiculous.

rick james said:
LaFlorecita said:
Robert5091 said:
But please, be honest and admit, TdF was much more entertaining than Vuelta...

I think you need to go back and watch the first week of TdF again ... zzzzzz ....
The Vuelta was boring for SkyBot because Sky were donkey crap.
can't win them all, 2 out of 3 isn't that bad a return
There is no need to reply to sb who admitted during Finestre stage: "I hate him".

rick james said:
LaFlorecita said:
Robert5091 said:
But please, be honest and admit, TdF was much more entertaining than Vuelta...

I think you need to go back and watch the first week of TdF again ... zzzzzz ....
The Vuelta was boring for SkyBot because Sky were donkey crap.
can't win them all, 2 out of 3 isn't that bad a return
Indeed it is not

Looks like Comcast will own Team Sky -
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-39-billion-offer-for-sky?srnd=premium-europe
Comcast Corp. bid highest in a quick-fire auction of Sky Plc, dealing Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox Inc. a potential knock-out blow in their battle for Europe’s largest satellite broadcaster.

The U.S. cable TV provider offered 17.28 pounds a share for London-based Sky, compared with Fox’s 15.67-pound bid, the U.K. Takeover Panel said Saturday. Comcast’s proposal values Sky at 29.7 billion pounds ($39 billion). A victory over Fox, however, won’t be sealed unless Sky investors tender their shares by an Oct. 11 deadline.

If Comcast’s bid is enough to clinch Sky, Chief Executive Officer Brian Roberts will emerge as a global TV power after conceding ownership of most of Fox’s entertainment assets in a separate bidding war to his rival, Walt Disney Co.’s Bob Iger. Comcast would also win a rare opportunity to diversify beyond the U.S. and gain global scale to compete with video streaming giant Netflix Inc.

Gigs_98 said:
These discussions are getting silly. I usually don't like to write a post in a "I am right and you are wrong way", I usually want to make arguments and be open to other opinions, but I've reached the point of thinking, why should I even care about this nonsense.
I'm usually rather bad at picking riders I become a fan of, as they usually don't live up to the expectations. Nibali is pretty much the only rider who won big races while I called myself a fan of him (and I only became a fan of him after he had already won big races), while I became a Contador fan in 2016 and rooted for Andy Schleck for his whole career. But then again since my childhood I find myself rooting for Real Madrid, and as a big Austrian alpine skiing fan I've always rooted for Marcel Hirscher. Real Madrid won four of the last 5 champions league titles and Marcel Hirscher won the overall world cup (the biggest thing you can win as an alpine skier) for unprecedented 7 times in a row. I'm still happy when they win, but to be honest, even I hope a different team will win the Champions League this year and if Hirscher doesn't win his 8th title in a row I definitely won't be mad and you know why? Because even I find that kind of dominance boring.
Yet year after year I find myself arguing with sky fans trying to find ways to explain why I'm not a big supporter of their team and at the same time trying not to be subjective but to look at things in a completely neutral way, because hey, everyone can have his opinion, right? And again it's fall and I'm staring at my screen in disbelief reading that the next big talented climber just terminated a seemingly already done deal with trek because he might now also want to join sky. Bernal, Sivakov, Sosa, I think if Sky somehow gets Evenepoel to sign for them they might have a bingo.
The thing is though, as many have written, the problem is not what sky is doing with their money, it's that they have so much money. As great as Bernal has been so far, this amount of money for a 21 year old is insane, but for them it's reasonable because as they have the money, why shouldn't they use it. As annoying as this disparity is and although it still makes me angry, I have accepted it. However what I do not accept and what motivated me to write this post is the ridiculous position the sky fans once again take in this discussion. Because they don't want to understand why what their team is doing is bad for the sport, because while I always tried to consider their opinions just like the opinion of anyone else, they apparently don't give a f*ck about what anyone else thinks and take their own opinion as granted. "The 2018 tour got rated way lower than the 2018 Vuelta? Oh f*ck it, that's nonsense, just admit the tour was better, just be honest" "Sosa might join Bernal at sky next season? Oh how beautiful it will be to watch sky throwing money at him while he is only the 6th last men for Froome in the next boring tdf mountain stage" Never do I find any posts by sky fans admitting that although they root for whoever sits in 2nd to last position of the train, the strength of the team is boring for the sport. Nowhere a spark of understanding. So are there just no sky fans who care about more than just their guy winning, are they too full of themselves to admit that, are they all just delusional or are they simply all trolls? What the f*ck is wrong with the fanbase of that team, serious question, what the f*ck is wrong?
I'm sorry for losing my patience and I will probably regret posting this tomorrow, but I just couldn't hold this back. This whole debate is just annoying and in reality a discussion between people who love a sport and people who love a team.
You can't argue taste.

I'm not gonna tell you Contador should've been your favorite rider all alnog.

But I really think that to like Sky it takes a mentality based principles that I so vehemently disagree with.

If I think of why I like cycling, and what principles in sport I care about, an reason from that, there is no subjectivity, they're objectively terrible for my idea of cycling. And I also feel that if you like Sky, then what the hell do you even like about cycling or sport in general?

Gigs_98 said:

No need to regret anything you wrote, you're pretty much preaching to the choir here. Anyone with an ounce of dignity and decency left can only be thoroughly disgusted with the kind of greed and arrogance Sky are displaying.

For all the problems cycling has with teams folding left and right on all levels, I would actually be really happy if Team Sky would disappear. They are gradually taking the sporting element out of the sport of cycling, they have become that cancerous.

tobydawq said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
The same as above:
There is no need to reply to sb who admitted during Finestre stage: "I'm out".

Pretty easy to play that card, thus avoiding displaying the impossibility of explaining why you enjoy watching Sky suffocating almost every Grand Tour.
I was asked the same question some months ago (probably by Brullnux?) and I think I fully explained it. No reason to repeat the answer.

Põhja Konn said:
Gigs_98 said:

No need to regret anything you wrote, you're pretty much preaching to the choir here. Anyone with an ounce of dignity and decency left can only be thoroughly disgusted with the kind of greed and arrogance Sky are displaying.

For all the problems cycling has with teams folding left and right on all levels, I would actually be really happy if Team Sky would disappear. They are gradually taking the sporting element out of the sport of cycling, they have become that cancerous.
Boring, but the same as above:
There is no need to reply to sb who admitted during Finestre stage: "It was a brilliant race up until yesterday, today it has turned into a complete farce".

Now, I'm out (till tomorrow :razz: ).

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Põhja Konn said:
Gigs_98 said:

Boring, but the same as above:
There is no need to reply to sb who admitted during Finestre stage: "It was a brilliant race up until yesterday, today it has turned into a complete farce".

Now, I'm out (till tomorrow :razz: ).

And yet, you're taking time to look up my post from 4 months ago, and then reply in a condescending and arrogant manner. And have nothing to say about the actual concerns that were raised in a post I qouted and which I concurred with. How utterly predictable. :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS