• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 101 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

jarvo said:
Ok pick another team then.

Let's say Movistar, had a 50m budget

they have Valverde, Quintana and Landa as leaders promising riders such as Soler

if they signed a bunch of domestiques, got fancy buses and bossed the GT's for 4-5 years would people be up in arms? probably not to the same degree as they are now over Sky

I don't know. Other high-budget teams got a lot of *** too, although none were as successful as Sky - Katusha, BMC, so it was more ridicule or schadenfreude I suppose.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think the fans' feelings towards Sky are entirely undeserved or unbalanced really. I mean, they did win 4/6 of the GTs in the last two years and 6/7 of the previous Tour de Frances and most of them in fairly dominant ways. I think it's normal that breeds resentment.

I get what you're saying, but I don't feel Sky is treated unfairly. It seems to me, pro cycling being an niche sport itself generally has fans that are especially supportive of niche/underdog teams/riders too; at least in this forum. And whatever you think of Sky they are just the opposite of that.

Re: Re:

jaylew said:
pastronef said:
Lequack said:
Britain's richest man, Jim Ratcliffe, has announced £1bn worth of investments in the UK oil and chemical industries.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47376169

With these huge numbers, buying Sky seems like a small side-deal for them.
I am guessing they won't be wearing the "save the oceans" whale shirts anytime soon again.

and do you know why they won´t be wearing the Ocean-Rescue jerseys?
Because it would be hypocritical?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/ineos-arrival-casts-environmental-cloud-over-team-sky/

no because the SPONSOR HAS CHANGED

the riders, the DS, even Dave B DID NOT DECIDE to wear the ocean rescue jersey. SKY, the main sponsor and owner, did it

now SKY Leaves. and a DIFFERENT SPONSOR, not linked in anyway with sky or ocean rescue come in.

every team promotes what the sponsor pays for. it´s not the riders or Dave B that decided to wear Ocen-rescue and woke up Yesterday saying, bin that! now we wear Ineos jersey.
it´s not hard to understand if you are not biased against the team

it´s like when Belkin became LottoNL

did anyone ask why did they change from router and informatic hardware to Lotto-gambling?
no
because that´s how sponsors change

pastronef said:

the riders, the DS, even Dave B DID NOT DECIDE to wear the ocean rescue jersey. SKY, the main sponsor and owner, did it

now SKY Leaves. and a DIFFERENT SPONSOR, not linked in anyway with sky or ocean rescue come in.

every team promotes what the sponsor pays for. it´s not the riders or Dave B that decided to wear Ocen-rescue and woke up Yesterday saying, bin that! now we wear Ineos jersey.

did anyone ask why did they change from router and informatic hardware to Lotto-gambling?
no
Way to miss the point.

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

spalco said:
jarvo said:
Ok pick another team then.

Let's say Movistar, had a 50m budget

they have Valverde, Quintana and Landa as leaders promising riders such as Soler

if they signed a bunch of domestiques, got fancy buses and bossed the GT's for 4-5 years would people be up in arms? probably not to the same degree as they are now over Sky

I don't know. Other high-budget teams got a lot of **** too, although none were as successful as Sky - Katusha, BMC, so it was more ridicule or schadenfreude I suppose.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think the fans' feelings towards Sky are entirely undeserved or unbalanced really. I mean, they did win 4/6 of the GTs in the last two years and 6/7 of the previous Tour de Frances and most of them in fairly dominant ways. I think it's normal that breeds resentment.

I get what you're saying, but I don't feel Sky is treated unfairly. It seems to me, pro cycling being an niche sport itself generally has fans that are especially supportive of niche/underdog teams/riders too; at least in this forum. And whatever you think of Sky they are just the opposite of that.

I don't see fans in this forum being especially supportive of underdogs looking at who are the most popular riders now and previously. Contador, Cancellara, Boonen, Gilbert, Sagan, Nibali, Dumoulin and yes Froome has quite a few fans. Hardly underdogs. Maybe Pinot is a bit of an underdog and I guess that Porte fans live in hope. Evans was probably seen as an underdog by some, in the Contador era.

I'd like to see the figures on how many plastic water bottles wind up in the ditches of European roads every year. I'm no flaming environmentalist but that drives me nuts -- surely the UCI could find a way to end the use of single-serve bottles that get tossed by the riders. Now that's hypocritical.

As for Ineos...so what? It's not as if a single person changed their opinion about Sky as a media company or a cycling team sponsor, nor about Froome et al as good or bad riders/guys because of the ocean rescue jerseys. Plastics are certainly no worse for the human condition than gambling, fake wood floors or dodgy pharmaceuticals...

Re:

Bolder said:
I'd like to see the figures on how many plastic water bottles wind up in the ditches of European roads every year. I'm no flaming environmentalist but that drives me nuts -- surely the UCI could find a way to end the use of single-serve bottles that get tossed by the riders. Now that's hypocritical.

From the road race regulations:

"Conduct of riders
2.2.025 Riders may not, without due care, jettison food, bonk-bags, feeding bottles, clothes, etc.
in any place whatsoever.
Riders may not jettison anything on the roadway itself but shall draw to the side of the road and safely deposit the object there.
If waste zones are established by the organiser, the rider must safely and exclusively deposit their waste on the sides of the road in this area."

They just need to enforce it.

Jagartrott said:
pastronef said:

no
Way to miss the point.
Yes, he certainly did. :p

King Boonen said:
Bolder said:

From the road race regulations:

"Conduct of riders
2.2.025 Riders may not, without due care, jettison food, bonk-bags, feeding bottles, clothes, etc.
in any place whatsoever.
Riders may not jettison anything on the roadway itself but shall draw to the side of the road and safely deposit the object there.
If waste zones are established by the organiser, the rider must safely and exclusively deposit their waste on the sides of the road in this area."

They just need to enforce it.

Yes I think it can and should be done better. Taking a bottle, taking one sip and then throwing it is plain irritating to watch.

Re:

rick james said:
I’m sure the bottles are bio degradable

I don't think they are, though I know such technology exists. that doesnt account for all the bidons, energy gels etc that also get junked. The solution would be simple, which is that the UCI requires races to site large, clearly marked bins every 5k or so, and fine riders/teams who don't at least make an effort to get the old bottles etc. into the bins.

But back to Ineos -- I'd never heard of them. Despite what Sky (the corporation) have said, the drip drip drip of doping must have had an effect, and the AAF probably was the last straw. As a media brand used and known by people the world over, Sky probably figured they were getting a negative rate of return on their cycling investment, at least measured by credibility and image enhancement. But I think those sorts of things are less important for a faceless company like Ineos that doesn't brand anything and primarily sells B2B.

Bolder said:
rick james said:

I don't think they are, though I know such technology exists. that doesnt account for all the bidons, energy gels etc that also get junked. The solution would be simple, which is that the UCI requires races to site large, clearly marked bins every 5k or so, and fine riders/teams who don't at least make an effort to get the old bottles etc. into the bins.

When the Giro went past in 2012, I got my hands on a few bottles. They were all labelled as biodegradable, though, I didn't test whether it was true.

I don't have a problem with riders tossing bottles in the general direction of where fans are. Same goes for discarded musett bags and clothing if they discarding it instead of taking it back to the team car. More riders seem to take clothing back to the team car than discard it.
At the worlds after the race was over a few of the teams still had bags of food left and were handing those bags of what they had left out to fans who happened to be in the area. We got some rice cakes and apple pastries from the Spanish team. Rice cakes were ok, but the apple pastries are still some of the best we've ever had.

tobydawq said:
Bolder said:
rick james said:

When the Giro went past in 2012, I got my hands on a few bottles. They were all labelled as biodegradable, though, I didn't test whether it was true.

recyclable, here the supplier for some teams including Team Sky https://www.elite-it.com/en/products/water-bottles/racing/fly-teams-750ml

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site

CTQ said:
tobydawq said:
Bolder said:
rick james said:

recyclable, here the supplier for some teams including Team Sky https://www.elite-it.com/en/products/water-bottles/racing/fly-teams-750ml
Before the Fly bottles they used the Corsa bottles, which were indeed said to be biodegradable. I guess developing a bottle as light as the Fly bottle and biodegrable is a bridge top far at this moment. Hope it comes soon anyway.

Bolder said:
rick james said:

But back to Ineos -- I'd never heard of them. Despite what Sky (the corporation) have said, the drip drip drip of doping must have had an effect, and the AAF probably was the last straw. As a media brand used and known by people the world over, Sky probably figured they were getting a negative rate of return on their cycling investment, at least measured by credibility and image enhancement. But I think those sorts of things are less important for a faceless company like Ineos that doesn't brand anything and primarily sells B2B.

Ignores the simple fact that Sky was purchased by another company that sees little to no value in supporting cycling. Cycling is not even a blip on the US medias radar where most of Comcast's interests lie.

cantpedal said:
Bolder said:
rick james said:

Ignores the simple fact that Sky was purchased by another company that sees little to no value in supporting cycling. Cycling is not even a blip on the US medias radar where most of Comcast's interests lie.

I agree,to a point. But Sky remains a European and UK brand where cycling is huge. I still have to think that Sky’s issues made it nearly impossible to justify retaining the sponsorship. We will never know exactly what went on behind closed doors when the decision was taken.