• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 114 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Scarponi said:
IndianCyclist said:
i think their strategy was for Thomas to win the TDF. Bernal to attack on Iseran and the others would chase on the flats while G is comfortable behind their wheels. Once Bernal is caught or 3 k from the finish when the others are tired, G to attack, pass Bernal and win the TDF.
When the stage was terminated at Iseran, and Bernal was yellow, there were no emotions from Portal, G, DB or even Bernal himself. It was like a funeral procession. Any other rider or team would be ecstatic over getting the yellow.
Winning a TDF with a non British rider is a loss for them.

This is nonsense.

JRanton said:
VayaVayaVaya said:
Well GT is no Hinault or Armstrong. The analogy would make sense if this was a Froome/Bernal situation. GT was a lucky stop gap. Also, Froome would have demolished the field.

I think so too. Froome must have been showing very good signs in his big pre-Dauphine training camp for Brailsford to come out a day before his huge crash (and before the big Dauphine mountain stages) and say he was going to be the outright leader at the Tour. Thomas and Bernal would have had nothing more than slightly protected status and would effectively have been domestiques for Froome. Amazing to think how different the race would have been.
Tejay was on the move podcast last week and he said what he saw of Froome so far when racing with him he thought Froome would have killed this race

Scarponi said:
IndianCyclist said:
i think their strategy was for Thomas to win the TDF. Bernal to attack on Iseran and the others would chase on the flats while G is comfortable behind their wheels. Once Bernal is caught or 3 k from the finish when the others are tired, G to attack, pass Bernal and win the TDF.
When the stage was terminated at Iseran, and Bernal was yellow, there were no emotions from Portal, G, DB or even Bernal himself. It was like a funeral procession. Any other rider or team would be ecstatic over getting the yellow.

ahahah. the hate is really strong. you could see bernal smiling after talking with Portal and getting into the cvar, he was almost crying in the interviews, Froome tweeted and greeted him, Ineos has one goal and is Yellow in Paris, and the strongest won. the more I read the more I love Ineos winning again.
a loss for them. yes they´d prefer to get 2nd. ahahahahahaha
ahahhah

Scarponi said:
IndianCyclist said:
both posts...a load of sh!t

Scarponi said:
IndianCyclist said:

Yeah I’m sure when they invested all that money in a long term deal with Bernal the last thing they wanted him to do was go and start winning big races....sure they’ll all be feeling like losers today :eek:

Scarponi said:
IndianCyclist said:

How can you say this is a loss?
Its their seventh win in eighth years with the fourth different rider. They may prefer to win with a British rider but a win is always a win.
Plus Froome is old and he is unlikely to recover fully of his injuries, Thomas is also getting old and will probably do Giro-Olympics next year so Bernal will probably be their team leader in many Tour's to come with Carapaz focusing on the Giro.
The future of Ineos is South American.
Regarding the reactions, Bernal was clearly super happy for his yellow jersey the others I don't know.

Thomas looked good at La Planche Des Belles Filles and in the ITT but never looked convinving in the high mountains.

His mountain attacks have otherwise looked so weak in this Tour. Like a car slowly pulling away on an incline but then struggling to get into the next gear to keep the momentum going.

VayaVayaVaya said:
IndianCyclist said:

Is this true? I saw video of Bernal crying and Froome tweeted out some kind, congratulatory words. But the others?

I saw a post-race interview with Sir Dave and I did think he looked remarkably unmoved for a guy about to win yet another TDF...

TMP402 said:
VayaVayaVaya said:
IndianCyclist said:

Is this true? I saw video of Bernal crying and Froome tweeted out some kind, congratulatory words. But the others?

I saw a post-race interview with Sir Dave and I did think he looked remarkably unmoved for a guy about to win yet another TDF...

Probably because they don’t celebrate until the job is done, but the previous comment about Bernal is completely untrue, he was in tears during the interview when asked what it means to be in yellow.

TMP402 said:
VayaVayaVaya said:
IndianCyclist said:

The circumstances under which he took the jersey are also a bit unusual of course. They were still racing and then they were all told to stop, and oh by the way, you have the jersey. If he'd gone on to win the stage, I think they excitement at that moment would have been a lot bigger.

brownbobby said:
Showing once again that dual leadership can and does work...classy from Thomas, just like Froome last year putting the team interest first and looking genuinely happy to see his team mate win

With the level of the best riders in the mountains seemingly getting closer and closer it makes a lot of sense to have two leaders because even a slight mishap at some point during the race can prove fatal to your chances of winning the race. I do wonder for instance whether Thomas’s two crashes, which were heavy despite not breaking any bones, took a little bit out of him.

Very interesting that in the last two seasons with the new UCI "Team Sky" rule that reduced team numbers from nine to eight (and let's not forget both Eddy and Greg won Tours when teams started with 10 riders) Team Sky or Team INEOS has not only won the Tour de France but also earned another podium spot even though their numbers were further reduced by expulsions both races. "Experts" ... be careful what you wish for! :surprised:

movingtarget said:
Laplaz said:
Next year:
Giro: Captain: Bernal

Tour: Captains: Froome, Thomas
Helpers: Carapaz, Bernal

Vuelta: Captain: Carapaz
Helper: Froome

Giro : Thomas and Sivakov

Tour : Bernal and Froome

Vuelta : Carapaz and Froome if Froome is up for two grand tours

Carapaz will surely be allowed to defend his Giro if he wants to. And no decent GC GT rider ever forgoes the other two GT's to focus on the Vuelta (though I think that some riders should consider doing so).

As for Froome, I would pencil him in for only a second fiddle role at best for the Tour; hard to see him getting back to the top level. Carapaz and Sivakov for the Giro. Bernal and Thomas for the Tour. I suspect that we will finally see 60+ kms of ITT in July next year. Actually with Froome, if his comeback goes well, then perhaps a support role in the Tour, building up to leadership in the Vuelta.

Thomas is the only person who should be considered for 2 races. Froome is coming back and Bernal, Carapaz and Sivakov are too young. Even then Thomas should go for Giro/Vuelta. Just because joining the all 3 GT winners would crash the forum for good.

TRENDING THREADS