• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 131 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have very strong feeling Carapaz will ride Giro. And I also believe Bernal will be in Vuelta, depending of course on the outcome of the Tour.

Yes, I'm thinking if all Carapaz does in the Tour is take some pulls ahead of Bernal on some climbs, he could be in shape to go to the Giro and contend. Not much to lose, because at worst he can ride for Thomas, assuming the latter is in better form. And i wouldn't be surprised to see Bernal in the Vuelta. If he doesn't win the Tour, or even podium, he will want to win something.

I don't disagree, but that's because most of the time, they haven't had two riders who were good enough to contend in both the Giro and the Tour (very few teams ever do)--except, as you note, when Wiggins rode the Giro, and even then, expectations were low. When both those GTs are in play, the strategy changes. When Froome rode the Giro in 2018, Sky knew that he was reducing his chances of winning the Tour that year, probably by more than not having Carapaz would hurt Bernal's chances this year--but they let him go for the double. If Thomas hadn't come out of nowhere, Froome's Giro would have cost Sky the TDF, but that was a gamble they evidently were willing to take.

Again, I don't disagree at all with this. Maybe Ineos felt they had to give each rider his own GT to save face completely.

Just to be clear, I don't disagree with what you were saying either. Just that the premise of 'could have maximized their chances in all 3 GTs' got me thinking, so I replied specifically to your post.

I am cognizant that they let Froome/he let himself go for the Giro only after he had won 4 tours, and on the year where there were 5 weeks between the two. They were transparent about that (which is much more than I can say for their communication about the context around Froome's participation in races in general at the time, but that's for another forum). So yeah, targeting other GTs have always been a grudging concession or proving ground rather than a 'risk it all' mentality. Which is part and parcel of why the team is both so successful and so hated.

I will quibble slightly with the assertion that expectations were low when Wiggins rode the Giro, at least on this forum. I vividly remember the months of moaning about how the Giro put so many TT kms in just to tailor it to Wiggins, and the talk leading up to it was 'how will anyone beat him' more than anything else. I was also subject to the whiplash of my own personal framework approaching the Giro developing from "Nibali is so exciting putting the Empire under pressure" to "God this Nibali win is anticlimactic" after Wiggins crashed out/gave up (a dissonance I also went through again in the exact same way the following year in the Tour).

Reactions: Red Rick
Even "give" is a big word here, as I do not believe Froome/Thomas will have sole leadership in Vuelta/Giro unless their shape takes monster leap in coming month. I have very strong feeling Carapaz will ride Giro. And I also believe Bernal will be in Vuelta, depending of course on the outcome of the Tour.

I'm sure I see Bernal in a video recently saying he's not sure of his rides after the Tour but would be happy to work for Froome at the Vuelta. Maybe a Tour/Vuelta double for Bernal then maybe go onto the Giro next year.

Bernal has previously said he wants to go for the Giro again and of course was targeting it last year until his shoulder injury.

It would not surprise me in the slightest to see Bernal heading to the Giro next year with perhaps Sivakov, Thomas and Carapaz going to the Tour (depending on condition/parcours)

I’m a closet Sky/Ineos fan. I’ve always marveled how they just rode the peloton into the ground sucking energy out of the group. Its going to be a nice change of pace to see other teams attempt the same. I still think Bernal is the favorite but it’s a crazy year and who knows how they look in week 3. I’m thinking all the riders are struggling with conditioning and it might be the most interesting race of attrition ever seen.

As for Froome, he just couldn’t be selected. He looked terrible. The biggest surprise and disappointment is Thomas. He didn’t have an injury to deal with and what happened with him is puzzling. Has he just cashed it in?

They made the right decision. They could not make a dent in Jumbo's squad. they would be far away from ideal weight. Froome probably has not recovered from the injuries. Thomas on the other hand requires a structured training and nutrition approach guided by others. The pandemic threw that out of the window. I donot think without DB and team looking over his shoulder, he had the necessary motivation. They start the TDF as 2nd favorite.

Winning the Giro with Rohan Dennis seems like an Ineos move that would piss me off......
I don't think Dennis has the mental strength to stay composed for 3 weeks while fighting for the win. If he hadn't crashed the 2017 Giro would have been perfect for him to get inside the top 10 on the gc. That said, he has shown more than Thomas before he suddenly became a top climber in gts, so who knows.

Don't understand why you would pull Carapaz out of the Giro - Carapaz at the TDF is not going to be the difference whether or not Bernal wins the TDF - Carapaz should have stayed in the Giro and Froome and Thomas go to the Vuelta.
I'd agree that he may make little difference if Bernal wins the TDF because Egan will not win it. Re-watching Stage 2 of the Dauphine and noting Bernal's position it looked like he did have something wrong. He was laid out and looked totally stressed when the guys around him looked more comfortable at about 10km to go.
Carapaz may surprise us all as an opportunist. That feeling comes from zero knowledge on his form, though.

TRENDING THREADS