• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 143 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As a pure Sky fanboy: it was a disgusting stage.
What to say, Bernal in top form should try to win in 2022.
Independently Ineos really must try to buy out Pogacar contract.
Bernal also stands no chance against the slovenians. The only way to bernal beat the Slovenians is a tour de france without crs and with finish stages above 2000m.
The only way to ineos win the tour next years, is buy a young top rider.

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan
It doens't look good, but it's only stage 2. A lot can still happen (wind, crashes etc.).

Regarding buying Pogacar, can't see it. UAE has money, long 5y contract, no way they sell him.
Come on. It's like judging Contador's GC form based on 3rd Cat climb. Thomas kind of disappointing but you never know, maybe some gastro problems etc. I understand that Roglic and Pogacar are super strong. But are they as strong to burn some matches on first 2 stages? I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them pays the iron price later on a proper MTF.

Reactions: wheresmybrakes
Come on. It's like judging Contador's GC form based on 3rd Cat climb. Thomas kind of disappointing but you never know, maybe some gastro problems etc. I understand that Roglic and Pogacar are super strong. But are they as strong to burn some matches on first 2 stages? I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them pays the iron price later on a proper MTF.

This is Pogacar & Roglic we're talking about. If anything, it looked like they were looking at each other & still just casually rode away whenever they wanted.

I doubt either went full gas today (or yesterday).

Sorry, maybe you are right, but I really can't understand what you mean... your English: Porte or /and Tao with no time losses mean a lot more opportunities for Ineos.
It is obvious, yes?
My point just is you can latch onto the Ineos train in the right/left side on the road without "protecting" Porte. But apparently Porte and Tao didnt do that and thus lost time.

Reactions: Anybody_but..
Bernal also stands no chance against the slovenians. The only way to bernal beat the Slovenians is a tour de france without crs and with finish stages above 2000m.
The only way to ineos win the tour next years, is buy a young top rider.
And because the only chance to France to win the Tour is to create the route without such stages - yes, such riders as Bernal wouldn't have any opportunities to win.

As a pure Sky fanboy: it was a disgusting stage.
What to say, Bernal in top form should try to win in 2022.
Independently Ineos really must try to buy out Pogacar contract.

Ineos did what SkyIneos always did: impose themselves on the peloton with brute force power leading into the final climb.

Their problem is the fact they were nowhere near the strongest once the small climb started & everyone exploded. No peak Froome, no peak Thomas, no Bernal = no party, so unless they radically rethink their strategy (i.e. a strategy which worked for them in Romandie, Dauphiné & the Giro just recently because they had the strongest riders in those races), they'll be nowhere in the fight for yellow.

This is Pogacar & Roglic we're talking about. If anything, it looked like they were looking at each other & still just casually rode away whenever they wanted.

I doubt either went full gas today (or yesterday).
Yes. Pog & Rog vs. GT & RC.
  1. It looks like there is no way to achieve any secs in stages like yesterday's or today's. The huge problem is not to lose any secs.
  2. The same with long MTF. Maybe Carapaz may get some secs, but not enough;
  3. ITT. Yes, ITT looks like the only way for Thomas to gain some secs. First of ITT just to stay in competition, the second (having Roglic 3rd week in mind) - to compensate all losses.
Probability for GT win: maybe a few %, boookies never lose.

The train only works if your leader is one of the strongest in the race, like with Bernal at the Giro. If I was Ineos DS I'd tell the team leaders let Jumbo/UAE do all the work and either follow wheels or attack, meanwhile Kwiatkowski and the other doms can go stage hunting. Will never happen unfortunately

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan
It will be interesting to see what Ineos think of Rog and Pog watching each other yesterday. Are they gonna cancel each other out on some of the other uphill finishes leaving Ineos to try and get Carapaz or Porte back in the game? Not willing to chase down Ala without giving the other one a tow could help Ineos out.
Today's stage 2 proved that the two Slovenians can still get time bonuses while racing solely against each other. Ineos had only Carapaz following in the same time zone so, unless one or both of those two suffer mishaps Ineos best strategy is have Carapaz glued to the last Slovenian he can follow. Sort out the rest afterward.
GT on the other hand; he tends to maintain his strength so he could improve. He doesn't have a choice.

Ineos did what SkyIneos always did: impose themselves on the peloton with brute force power leading into the final climb.

Their problem is the fact they were nowhere near the strongest once the small climb started & everyone exploded. No peak Froome, no peak Thomas, no Bernal = no party, so unless they radically rethink their strategy (i.e. a strategy which worked for them in Romandie, Dauphiné & the Giro just recently because they had the strongest riders in those races), they'll be nowhere in the fight for yellow.
Sorry but MVP, Mathews, Corbrelli can eat Ineos for lunch on this type of stage. They could have done it to Froome and Bernal, too. They're built for that task and a healthy Sagan will show up as well.

TRENDING THREADS