• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1550 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Robert5091 said:
Monday morning meeting at Sky HQ about the BBC program?

Nah, they already knew what was in it ages ago. Wasn't Moore involved and he would have fed Brailsford all the info.

Disappointingly apparently they did not mention, Leinders, JTL, Edmondson, tramadol, etc

But then it was the BBC and we know how they operate. With extreme prejudice.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Lovely tweet

Calvin Betton‏ @Calvbetton12 hours ago

Was going to watch Louis Theroux’s film about Scientology but decided to watch a documentary about a fantastical nonsense cult with a con man leader who gets angry if you ever question his organisation, instead.

:D

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Sky

It was pretty much a re-hash of everything we know to date anyhow.

I find watching and listening to SDB just winds me up now. His management speak just borders on insane now. Its like he is talking about himself and his set up as a 3rd person removed from the situation. Its just nuts and I don't get how he can continue to position himself as so far removed with his credibility and culpability so much in tatters.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

B_Ugli said:
It was pretty much a re-hash of everything we know to date anyhow.

I find watching and listening to SDB just winds me up now. His management speak just borders on insane now. Its like he is talking about himself and his set up as a 3rd person removed from the situation. Its just nuts and I don't get how he can continue to position himself as so far removed with his credibility and culpability so much in tatters.

Money and power over people is the reason.

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

For an hour long TV programme aimed at Joe Public it did a decent job of getting the big issues out there. Yes plenty of detail and nuance went AWOL but no surprise given the constraints of the format

I watched it with the Mrs who knows nowt about cycling. She said Sutton's denials of using discriminatory language/bullying towards Varnish and para-riders were 100% unconvincing. The Mrs therefore assumed Sutton was also lying about everything...

Benotti69 said:
Robert5091 said:
Monday morning meeting at Sky HQ about the BBC program?

Nah, they already knew what was in it ages ago. Wasn't Moore involved and he would have fed Brailsford all the info.

Disappointingly apparently they did not mention, Leinders, JTL, Edmondson, tramadol, etc

But then it was the BBC and we know how they operate. With extreme prejudice.

Would probably need a 6 hour program to cover all of Sky's suspicious activities.

perhaps cycling could go down the spacey road...airbrush footage of doped winners from race coverage and then enhance first clean finisher to appear to be lifting arms in air as they cross line...mmmmmm need to effect crowds cheering as well for the 60th place finsher.....

full time job at the UCI for a number of people.....

who said technology would cost jobs :)

gillan1969 said:
perhaps cycling could go down the spacey road...airbrush footage of doped winners from race coverage and then enhance first clean finisher to appear to be lifting arms in air as they cross line...mmmmmm need to effect crowds cheering as well for the 60th place finsher.....

full time job at the UCI for a number of people.....

who said technology would cost jobs :)
How about reboots? Reshoot each race with lookalikies, retconning out the dopers? Think of the money to be made...and every few years you'd have to reboot your reboot...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Lone voice in BC

“Shane just tells it as it is so that’s exactly what he said and that’s how it will have been perceived,” Jody Cundy said.

Asked if he was referring to Wiggins, Jody Cundy said: “I don’t care who it is, if they are fiddling the system they are cheating, I can’t stand cheats. It annoys the hell out of me because you’re doing something to beat somebody without having to put in the same effort.

Expect Cundy to miss next games.

Re:

Benotti69 said:
Lone voice in BC

“Shane just tells it as it is so that’s exactly what he said and that’s how it will have been perceived,” Jody Cundy said.

Asked if he was referring to Wiggins, Jody Cundy said: “I don’t care who it is, if they are fiddling the system they are cheating, I can’t stand cheats. It annoys the hell out of me because you’re doing something to beat somebody without having to put in the same effort.

Expect Cundy to miss next games.

I thought the documentary was good. Clearly they couldn’t use Sutton because he’d been ousted from British Cycling but the parts with Jessica Varnish were good....

Oh wait :lol:

Investigations continue.

The storm engulfing Team Sky and British Cycling erupted again on Monday night.

It has emerged that the medical supplier who sent a batch of a banned substance to British Cycling's headquarters has refused to co-operate with UK Anti-Doping or the governing body's own investigation.

It is believed both UKAD and the General Medical Council are still looking at the testosterone patches delivery as part of ongoing investigations.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-5101799/Team-Sky-British-Cycling-drug-storm-erupts-again.html

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Re:

70kmph said:
Yes, burn them down
And then what. The problem is that the whole "thing" that is pro cycling isn't actually burned to the ground. The only way to do that is to reform the system so that the cyclists are protected in a way that the balance is shifted from select dopers gain millions, to grupetto doesn't lose from exposing what's going on. Something along the lines of a guaranteed pension and education fund for everyone. And I mean everyone. Once you serve your ban, you're no longer able to work in the sport at any level, but you have access to your pension and nothing else.

This would dissuade a large number of people because the risk/reward calculation has shifted. Race clean and no matter what, you've got a soft landing. Busted once and you can't come back as a DS, coach, or anything else. You'll never touch cycling again. But after your ban, you can go back to school and rebuild your life. This rewards riding clean and removes the worst of the consequences. You might not get rich, but you'll never go broke. On the other hand, if you cheat and win you might be ostracized forever, no second chances.

John Swanson

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

ScienceIsCool said:
70kmph said:
Yes, burn them down
And then what. The problem is that the whole "thing" that is pro cycling isn't actually burned to the ground. The only way to do that is to reform the system so that the cyclists are protected in a way that the balance is shifted from select dopers gain millions, to grupetto doesn't lose from exposing what's going on. Something along the lines of a guaranteed pension and education fund for everyone. And I mean everyone. Once you serve your ban, you're no longer able to work in the sport at any level, but you have access to your pension and nothing else.

This would dissuade a large number of people because the risk/reward calculation has shifted. Race clean and no matter what, you've got a soft landing. Busted once and you can't come back as a DS, coach, or anything else. You'll never touch cycling again. But after your ban, you can go back to school and rebuild your life. This rewards riding clean and removes the worst of the consequences. You might not get rich, but you'll never go broke. On the other hand, if you cheat and win you might be ostracized forever, no second chances.

John Swanson

There is a lot of merit to what you propose. As someone that was part of the circus, I always thought one of the biggest misunderstandings of sport from the American perspective was the opportunities provided for many of the participants after failure was naught. We Americans were a bunch of upper middle class to rich kids that had fun giving it a go and when we decided to give it up after a decade of fun and no money, mom and dad paid for us to go back and finish college and get on with our lives. I had teammates that would have done anything to avoid the tire factory.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Robert5091 said:
This is starting to cost me a fortune in popcorn :lol:

Yep - a never ending episode of the following:

roadrunner-625x350.jpg

It's good to see that BC is having heat placed on them which they've largely escaped so far - No surprise that the supplier of the testesterone is unwilling to speak to UKAD and I doubt this will change - I suspect if anything comes out of this on-going investigation it will be support people sanctioned ( if they can get the evidence ) for trafficking or attempting to traffic a banned substance - Will say to John Swanson that the WADA Code doesn't allow for a sport to ban an athlete from returning to the sport after a doping violation, and even if WADA wanted to pursue this course of action, there are too many legal impediments. Finally I worry about BC cyclists being so vociferous in their criticism of Sutton and BC - After all if testerone and corticosteroids were sent to BC headquarters, they could have been used on the athletes.

TRENDING THREADS