• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 79 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 21, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:
it seems Wiggins is tested every day
"I’m tested by the UCI, god knows how many times a year, god knows how many times at the Dauphiné, blood tested every morning. What more can I do other than that? "

Yellow jersey is auto test no?, werent there at least 13 samples from 99 for armstrong the ones that got retested with epo in?

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Montanus said:
By implication: you should suspect Froome.

yes of course I even think Wiggins might be clean, but Froom, Porte, Roger are fully doped, so even things get out of hand. Sky can still keep the title. That is just a little too conspiracy.:D

maxmartin said:
Wiggins' new rant, enjoy

Wiggins: I'm not some s--t rider who has come from nowhere

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-im-not-some-s-t-rider-who-has-come-from-nowhere

I don't think it's a rant in the slightest. It's a very conscious scaling back and partial retraction of some of the things he'd said before.

To me, it’s them ****ing all over things that I’ve done, by saying 'oh well he’s cheating', and that’s what really gets to me because everyone in their individual jobs works hard at what they do

See, this is in contradiction to the "all the doubters are lazy and have never done anything in their lives" call from the weekend; he recognises that he has attacked a lot of fans there, and more recent Sky comments (such as Brailsford's acknowledgement that "there is reputational risk" in hiring a guy like Geert Leinders) hint that they at least realise that the suspicion is there, and isn't based entirely in hatred or purely invented nonsense; it isn't purely from uninformed fanboys but is from some long-term fans of the sport who don't need to be told who the main protagonists are by Phil and Paul every day.

As has been mentioned in one of the other threads though,

What more can I do other than that? I don’t know really? You tell me. I’d love to know.
Ask Linus Gerdemann. I'm sure there would be people who would be happy to finance the monitoring of Wiggins during the Tour in order to assuage doubts. Now, obviously, that's not feasible in a race that's already begun, and is a very extreme example. But cycling fans have been lied to enough times that it would take something extreme like that from a Tour winner to rebuild the faith lost.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
SirLes said:
Just went looking for the details of Brad's epic lone break in 2007 and found this.

http://www.confessingevangelical.com/?p=1130

First comment is interesting. Wish we could get confirmed from other sources.
i posted it out

# Michael Rinearon 16 Jul 2007 at 4:05 am
I met Wiggins at a rund raising event in London last year. He was a very nice individual. We talked for several minutes about the upcoming event and he was extremely annimated about his chances. I found his comments on drugs in the sport to be very enlightening. Basically it is required, not even an option anymore to stay ahead of the testing and use whatever you can barely get away with. Without them, you have no possible chance for competitive results. His comments basically put the whole issues of drugs into a very realistic and honest position

maxmartin said:
Wiggins' new rant, enjoy

Wiggins: I'm not some s--t rider who has come from nowhere

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-im-not-some-s-t-rider-who-has-come-from-nowhere

I think this provides insight into many of his behaviours and perceptions.

Yes, he is accomplished. He looks to have equated accomplishment to entitlement witha hearty dash of arrogance. I appreciate some of the honesty, but it does show you that while we can admire some athletic figures (or not! :p) it does not make them good people.

Also interesting how he has not noted that he booted a certain Irish journo from being embedded with the team ... that could have made a huge difference.

On a side note, I find it interesting that journos don't ask the 2nd and 3rd order questions. His commetns about what more could I do also make me wonder why no one makes suggestions.

For example, one could say ...

"Of course many people can see the pedigree of your accomplishments, but your transformation has been rather remarkable from track pursuiter to climber and long TT expert extraordinaire. Given cycling's history, surely you can understand that this is something any champion now must contend with? Your thoughts?

Also, many people have noted that your teammates, such as Chris Froome, have seemingly come from nowhere on 2 occasions. Others have had a resurgence of form. As noted on one website, your and other's "form has bumped up against our suspension of disbelief". What would be your strategy to address these perceptions?"

May 19, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
i posted it out

I met Wiggins at a rund raising event in London last year. He was a very nice individual. We talked for several minutes about the upcoming event and he was extremely annimated about his chances. I found his comments on drugs in the sport to be very enlightening. Basically it is required, not even an option anymore to stay ahead of the testing and use whatever you can barely get away with. Without them, you have no possible chance for competitive results. His comments basically put the whole issues of drugs into a very realistic and honest position

if this was true, he was already two face person back in 2007:eek:

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:
i posted it out

are we really to believe that Wiggins would confess to doping to a stranger at a fund raising event? I've spent a lot of time around professional cyclists and doping is never a topic anyone wants to even talk about let alone casually confess to.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
mastersracer said:
are we really to believe that Wiggins would confess to doping to a stranger at a fund raising event? I've spent a lot of time around professional cyclists and doping is never a topic anyone wants to even talk about let alone casually confess to.

it is not confessing, maybe just some random chat about his opinion of PED and in 2007 he was nobody on road race. He himself probably didn't think his words matter anything at that time.Unless that guy forge the time stamp

May 26, 2010
Visit site
"I am good at riding my bike and performing on my bike and other than that and sitting up here every day and trying to be articulate, I don’t know what else I can do other than that."

How abut showing us what you showed ASO?

How about explaining the difference between Garmin (who won the Giro this year) and TeamSky?

How about explaining your refusal to let Paul Kimmage do a 3 week fly on the wall with TeamSky for the TdF in 2010?

How about an apology?

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
maxmartin said:
it is not confessing, maybe just some random chat and in 2007 he was nobody on road race. Unless that guy forge the time stamp

That's what I find interesting. He is certainly not saying he is doping just that doping is rife in road cycling and you need to dope to be successful. He could say that to the time as he was concentrating on the track and wasn't successful on the road. Can't imagine him having that conversation now.

He can only say that things have changed since then. For example the doctor working for the tour favourite is now working or him.

User Guide said:
Yellow jersey is auto test no?, werent there at least 13 samples from 99 for armstrong the ones that got retested with epo in?

The specified dope tests for the day are
Leader of GC and Point competition
Stage winner

then others usually targeted by intelligence, biopassport or other means.

it is necessarily blood though, frequently it is just a urine test.

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
maxmartin said:
it is not confessing, maybe just some random chat about his opinion of PED and in 2007 he was nobody on road race. He himself probably didn't think his words matter anything at that time.Unless that guy forge the time stamp

I meet Wiggo a couple of months ago. We talked a bit about doping. He said that he never had and never would dope. He sounded really sincere when he said it.

Btw, maxmartin, you can quote me, I'm trustworthy.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
SirLes said:
That's what I find interesting. He is certainly not saying he is doping just that doping is rife in road cycling and you need to dope to be successful. He could say that to the time as he was concentrating on the track and wasn't successful on the road. Can't imagine him having that conversation now.

He can only say that things have changed since then. For example the doctor working for the tour favourite is now working or him.

but you can definitely sense his attitude towards doping, if the whole post was true

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Montanus said:
I meet Wiggo a couple of months ago. We talked a bit about doping. He said that he never had and never would dope. He sounded really sincere when he said it.

Btw, maxmartin, you can quote me, I'm trustworthy.

he is famous now, back in 2007 he was nobody. And why that guy want to damage a nobody's reputation back in 2007. If that post was made in this year, i definitely won't believe it.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
mastersracer said:

My thoughts exactly. Just because some random person posts something on the comments section doesn't make it true. For example -

I met Soandso at a rund raising event in London last year. He was a very nice individual. We talked for several minutes about the upcoming event and he was extremely annimated about his chances. I found his comments on the sport to be very enlightening. Basically kitten eating is required, not even an option anymore to stay ahead of the testing and use whatever you can barely get away with. Without kittens, you have no possible chance for competitive results. His comments basically put the whole issues of kittens in sport into a very realistic and honest position

Complete and utter tosh and more importantly totally unverifiable.

I know several professionals both current and retired. None of them would chat to a complete stranger in such a casual manner, especially in today's environment.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Catwhoorg said:
The specified dope tests for the day are
Leader of GC and Point competition
Stage winner

then others usually targeted by intelligence, biopassport or other means.

it is necessarily blood though, frequently it is just a urine test.

You would think/hope as blood altering is the primary doping concern it would be blood everytime no?

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
tsophoto said:
Seriously. You see the complete and total lack of expression on Wiggo's face as he followed Cadel sprinting up to the line?

I didn't watch the end of the stage. When RSNT began working for SKY I turned the TV off and took the dog for a walk. I am sick of cycling lately. Maybe Wiggins is right and we are worthless ****ers for wasting time on this.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
maxmartin said:
he is famous now, back in 2007 he was nobody. And why that guy want to damage a nobody's reputation back in 2007. If that post was made in this year, i definitely won't believe it.
He wasn't a nobody in the UK in 2006/7. He was an olympic and world champion at a fundraising event in London. More than likely an olympic related event so he would have been necessarily on best behaviour too. He may be a bit could mouthed, but then many of us here in The Smoke are, but he is definitely not stupid.

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
maxmartin said:

Wiggo a nobody 2007? He was a track superstar and a olympic gold medalist for christ sake. You are just too much, quoting a comment made by some random guy on a blog, and then use it to demonize Wiggins. I mean WTF?

May 21, 2010
Visit site
ultimobici said:
He wasn't a nobody in the UK in 2006/7. He was an olympic and world champion at a fundraising event in London. More than likely an olympic related event so he would have been necessarily on best behaviour too. He may be a bit could mouthed, but then many of us here in The Smoke are, but he is definitely not stupid.

He was happy to slag the peleton off openly in 2007,call for radical change etc.I think thats part of why theres such hysteria around him and sky now,his message has changed somewhat.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Even with Brailsford's ridiculous answer, it gives hope that the press is asking him about Leinders. Now that we know there was a doping program at Disco/Astana (or at least its predecessor), this would be a good time to ask about Yates' 5 years there.