• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1301 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

the sceptic said:
red_flanders said:
TailWindHome said:
Why do people think Thomas has undergone an 'absurd Sky transformation'?

But, you know. Maybe read the thread.

or, maybe try to make a counter argument if one disagrees.

It's not unreasonable to ask people to explain their views.
The counter argument, as posted several pages, is that Thomas has made steady progress through his career and in the last 5-6 weeks is showing the level of performance he has been threatening to deliver for a couple of years now.
People seem to be presenting this as a 'Froome-esque' style transformation, it's nothing of the sort.

The strongest rider in the race was the strongest rider in the race. So?

He came from Barloworld, so must be the same as Froome :rolleyes: ignoring winning the Junior P-R 10 years ago, winning track WC's, olympic gold medals, national RR etc over the years with a reputation of having a big engine...
he just turned up out of the blue this year with an amazing transformation to win a semi-classic...

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Archibald said:
He came from Barloworld, so must be the same as Froome :rolleyes: ignoring winning the Junior P-R 10 years ago, winning track WC's, olympic gold medals, national RR etc over the years with a reputation of having a big engine...
he just turned up out of the blue this year with an amazing transformation to win a semi-classic...

Having so much talent, he obviously doesn't have access to the secret Sky drug used by Froome. I mean, if he had he would have beaten Paolini at least 10 minutes.

backing up flanders and others here - I tweeted within secs of the finish line that Thomas was a mile the strongest rider - he chased everything that moved for the last fifty miles - was always the first to bridge across...it was a joke how far ahead he was,,,only that Etixx played a game of bluff in the end, yet Thomas was again the guy to go - five km to go, all together, no way he'd have been stopped....that people are saying he wasn't the strongest in the race.....joke.

Sunday will be interesting - hard to know...form wise he's the man...but on those roads those races take a life of their own so I don't know

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Sky

I don't think this is about PEDs. It's not even about marginal gains anymore.
It is about confidence and momentum. Sky just happen to have a lot of that.
Third to Sagan last year, Thomas of twelve months ago might have sat on and waited for the sprint – either unsure of himself or unwilling to make a mistake. However this season Thomas has evolved into a more confident and complete athlete and his transformation from track rider is now not just complete but entirely successful. Weight has been shed, experience gained, and with Flanders just over a week away the Welshman finds himself among the upper echelons of favourites. He and his team have those unstoppable allies: momentum and confidence.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/geraint-thomas-comes-of-age-with-e3-harelbeke-win

TailWindHome said:
the sceptic said:
red_flanders said:
TailWindHome said:

The counter argument, as posted several pages, is that Thomas has made steady progress through his career and in the last 5-6 weeks is showing the level of performance he has been threatening to deliver for a couple of years now.
People seem to be presenting this as a 'Froome-esque' style transformation, it's nothing of the sort.

Its interesting that when it suits you you say something like - its nothing like a Froome-esque transformation, while at the same time in other threads when it suits you you argue that a Froome-esque transformation is nothing to be suspicious about anyway.

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

The Hitch said:
TailWindHome said:
the sceptic said:
red_flanders said:
TailWindHome said:

Its interesting that when it suits you you say something like - its nothing like a Froome-esque transformation, while at the same time in other threads when it suits you you argue that a Froome-esque transformation is nothing to be suspicious about anyway.

Quote the post or retract

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

sounds like a typical sky troll.

Is that comment addressed to me or Hitch?

I've never argued that 'a Froome-esque transformation is nothing to be suspicious about'

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
apparently G is the new Cancellara

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bradley ... int-thomas

"I said to him at Paris-Nice, I've never seen him like that before. He's normally a bit away with the fairies but he was paying attention to his food and his mindset. He's spent quite a few years racing for other people, being the strongman and being praised as the super domestique but now he's getting the opportunity and position where he has the confidence to ride at the front."

Speaking to Thomas over the last few weeks it is abundantly clear the man himself has harnessed a confidence that was at times missing in the past. He has dropped weight over the winter but the way he clinically disposed of the opposition in E3 Harelbeke two weeks ago displayed a new side to his game. He is not the outright favourite for Flanders but he is certain among the leading contenders.

"I think he's up there with guys like Cancellara now. He's nearly 30 and he's realised that these are the years to win one of these things," adds Wiggins, a rider who progressed massively when he turned his attention to stage racing in 2009

TailWindHome said:

sounds like a typical sky troll.

Is that comment addressed to me or Hitch?

I've never argued that 'a Froome-esque transformation is nothing to be suspicious about'

So wiggos transformation is suspicious or not?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
TailWindHome said:
I don't find it suspicious
But then I don't find it Froome-esque

So going from Gruppeto to winning a GT is not suspicious in a sport like cycling?

Wow!!!!!!! :eek:

I don't get it. Is Wiggos gold medals on track supposed to mean anything?

because other than that Froome actually showed a lot more talented before his magical transformation than Wiggins.

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Re:

TailWindHome said:
None of this makes Thomas's "transformation" "absurd"

So without answering any of the questions about wiggins transformation or froome transformation you now deflect back to "none of this is anything to do with Thomas"

Do we dare ask whether you are just ignoring those posts or just don't have an answer - because there is no answer and they were both ridiculous and now GT will prove the same over the next year or so.

Other track riders that made it into superstar GT winners - Err none!!

TRENDING THREADS