• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1604 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
^ both missing the point massively

This isnt an Ineos issue. This is a cycling issue.

Again, go and look at the top 5 and have a think about whether any of them have and real background.

(Red Rick...Kelderman did get 4th. It is irrelevant where or why he didnt get 3rd. He didnt get it, and that is all that counts)
It is an Ineos issue, because it's pretty much a continuation of what they have been doing for nearly a decade.

Take an average British GC rider in his mid-late 20s, and transform him into a GT winner. Whilst also having domestiques with no climbing pedigree, routinely put in performances in the mountains which outclass GC rivals.

No other team has done anything remotely comparable.

Well, this strategy does only work, however, if you know that you are the strongest with your "calculated" efforts when you bring them. I have the impression that Fuglsang, for example, also rode a really controlled and conservative race with paced efforts. He simply was not good enough. So, the real magic happened in bringing Tao (and Dennis) to this ridiculous good level.

I don't believe in Fuglsang as a GT rider but it's very notable that his two best mountain domestiques abandoned by stage 2.

I'm sorry you can't dream big and I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles. ... the people that don't believe in cycling, the cynics and the skeptics, I'm sorry for you.

Edit: but I'm kinda happy they upped their game right away, Sunweb was getting disgusting.

WHAT?
look, there's noone, at least here in Italy, happier than me about Tao and Ineos winning. but your take on Sunweb is totally nuts. they rode an amazing race and they deserve the podium.

Reactions: Cookster15
to be honest the fact that Sunweb wasn't able to control the race at all after Pinacavallo made it more likely that they just exploded all their riders's legs on one stage, whereas Ineos did it for the last three mountain stages and also had those riders finishe first and third in the final TT for emphasis

Reactions: Cookster15
I would add that if Rohan Dennis is capable of dominating the mountains like this, he would be a stronger GC threat than Tao.
On Dennis I think he showed great promise in finishing second to Bernal in TdS which also had high altitude climbs. Dennis problem I think is he can't hold it together for three weeks - a matter of his ability to recover. On one off climbs he is formidable.

Last edited:
i actually agree with this, in the sense that someone coming from absolutely nowhere and winning is more believable than someone who about a calendar year ago was, while riding for himself, getting dropped on Cat 2s in the 2019 Vuelta winning.

has anyone ever figured out what happened with Ineos that year? The 1-2 in the TDF kind of papered over how bad their domestiques looked for large parts of the race- i remember stages where Kwaitkowski/Castroviejo/Poels could barely hold the peleton when there was an acceleration in pace.

Looks like a new treatment is available on the market since day by day improvement is possible during the race.

Ineos were caught off guard during the Tour but now their domestics are winning almost everything during this Giro. The long term planning doesn't apply to what happened after the Tour. You can prepare the team in less than a month now. I understand that the leader is under special treatment but now even the likes of Navarez or Puccio are able to get a GT stage podium places simultaneously.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Looks like a new treatment is available on the market since day by day improvement is possible during the race.

Ineos were caught off guard during the Tour but now their domestics are winning almost everything during this Giro. The long term planning doesn't apply to what happened after the Tour. You can prepare the team in less than a month now. I understand that the leader is under special treatment but now even the likes of Navarez or Puccio are able to get a GT stage podium places simultaneously.
Ben Swift getting 18th is pretty eye opening.

WHAT?
look, there's noone, at least here in Italy, happier than me about Tao and Ineos winning. but your take on Sunweb is totally nuts. they rode an amazing race and they deserve the podium.
But Skyneos are fine to keep pumping out the GT wins huh...

Nothing is fine in this sport, not in the last 30 years, apart maybe a couple odd years around 2008 or 2010.
This year though, looked particularly strange, but Ineos did catch up very quickly.

Sep 29, 2020
Visit site
Ben Swift getting 18th is pretty eye opening.

This was purely a product of getting in the right breaks, some of which were allowed ridiculous amounts of time. Once you get outside the top 10 (especially with such a weak field) on a GT, the positions are much more random than you might think. Occasionally someone even sneaks into the top ten by just being in the right breakaways.

TRENDING THREADS