• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1612 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I know the Giro has been boring, but no one is giving the proper attention to the 2 superbulls (de Plus and Arensman) on Ineos...Ridiculous performance carring the race day after day, mountain after mountain and still making top 10. They would ashame many in the Skytrain golden days and only with 5 elements. I expect great surprises at the Tour.

Last edited:
I know the Giro has been boring, but no one is giving the proper attention to the 2 superbulls (de Plus and Arensman) on Ineos...Ridiculous performance carring the race day after day, mountain after mountain and still making top 10. They would ashame many in the Skytrain golden days and only with 5 elements. I expect great surprises at the Tour.

how about climbing domestique Ben Swift? hilarious.

Arensman has actually disappointed me a bit in this race, and the level of the remaining riders was simply too low for him and De Plus to drop out of the top 10.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
How can it be bias when it's literally only been British riders who turn from donkeys into racehorses in Grand Tours for the last 15 years?

Because they developed and invested a lot of money into a program with the goal of producing some great riders that could win medals in the 2012 Olympics? Mainly the track team.

It grew the interest of the sport in Britain and spawned a younger generation to pick up cycling. They are reaping all the benefits now with many new young riders coming through each season in the past few years. All types of different riders.

While some of the old guard is still here performing in the biggest races, which is quite remarkable.

Reactions: pastronef
Because they developed and invested a lot of money into a program with the goal of producing some great riders that could win medals in the 2012 Olympics? Mainly the track team.

It grew the interest of the sport in Britain and spawned a younger generation to pick up cycling. They are reaping all the benefits now with many new young riders coming through each season in the past few years. All types of different riders.

While some of the old guard is still here performing in the biggest races, which is quite remarkable.
That might explain finding bigger talents more often. It wouldn't explain riders going from track type riders to GT mountain goats in the middle of their career. If anything track should select mostly for track, so finding TTers and sprinters.

Reactions: Luthor
That might explain finding bigger talents more often. It wouldn't explain riders going from track type riders to GT mountain goats in the middle of their career. If anything track should select mostly for track, so finding TTers and sprinters.
It depends on how much difference a rider can make from being a rider who mostly focuses on track and does some roads outside of that, to then go and focus most of their time and effort on road. That is something that is difficult to answer. We dont know, but what we have seen it seems to be possible. Of course you also have to take into account that there are probably a number of different things to consider that could be in play.

One of them could just be working very hard at something for a very long time, spending many hours becoming good at something. 10 000 hours and all of that.

Again, just too many things to consider.

To me it is not as black or white. I dont find it impossible that someone can change direction and becoming very good at it. Sometimes we dont realize we have talent for something until we try it + some other stuff.

The one British track guy who always looked like a potential gc rider was Kennaugh, who was a really good u23 road cyclist while riding track at the same time.

A guy like him or even Berzin (yeah, bad comparison if you wanna look at believable guys) should be the kind of track riders who do well as stage races on the road. Smaller, lighter guys who are super aereo while having a great engine for their size.

With Thomas I have to say that he always was a good TTer, but his climbing wasn't exactly great for years. Unlike Froome or Wiggins he also never got super skinny and lost a ton of weight, but his climbing performances still went way up (how those 2 even became better TTers while getting super skinny is a whole different can of worms, but I really don't wanna start that discussion again).

Reactions: Lui98
No doubt Sky/Ineos had the best "program" from 2012 to 2019 ... winning the TDF 7 of the 8 years (and most likely would have won it 8 of 8 if Froome hadn't crashed out in 2014.)

What is even more impressive isn't the win total over those 8 years ... it is the fact that they won it with 4 different riders. Who does that? One guy goes down or retires? Just plug another in and win the TDF again. Exceptional!

Reactions: gregrowlerson
No doubt Sky/Ineos had the best "program" from 2012 to 2019 ... winning the TDF 7 of the 8 years (and most likely would have won it 8 of 8 if Froome hadn't crashed out in 2014.)

What is even more impressive isn't the win total over those 8 years ... it is the fact that they won it with 4 different riders. Who does that? One guy goes down or retires? Just plug another in and win the TDF again. Exceptional!
Same thing happens in any sport where you have the biggest budget, the winners are usually the best funded teams.

I mean Pogacar, Roglic, Vingegaard etc wouldn't have to take the juice if they were in Sky/Ineos with the best domestiques ever assembled in history.

Because Pogacar, Roglic, Vingegaard etc aren't in Sky/Ineos they have to cheat to get the wins instead.

• Haha
Reactions: red_flanders
Same thing happens in any sport where you have the biggest budget, the winners are usually the best funded teams.

I mean Pogacar, Roglic, Vingegaard etc wouldn't have to take the juice if they were in Sky/Ineos with the best domestiques ever assembled in history.

Because Pogacar, Roglic, Vingegaard etc aren't in Sky/Ineos they have to cheat to get the wins instead.
You want to know what the teams with the biggest budgets have? They have the best drugs. They also seem to get the most favorable treatment from the UCI when a problem does occur ( jiffy bags, failed salbutamol tests , 100's of vials of testosterone that no one can determine who they were for, etc ).

I'm not arguing that Jumbo isn't doing drugs, of course they are, as is everyone in the peloton that cares about winning, its just the ridiculousness of 4 different TDF winners in 8 years is over the top. Especially when those tour winners include Wiggo, Froome and Thomas. At least Bernal was thought to have GC talent when he arrived at Sky. The others, not so much. If Roglic, van Aert, and Sepp Kuss each win the TDF over the next 7 years, I will agree with you that Jumbo is as ridiculous as Sky/Ineos.

Last edited:
You want to know what the teams with the biggest budgets have? They have the best drugs. They also seem to get the most favorable treatment from the UCI when a problem does occur ( jiffy bags, failed salbutamol tests , 100's of vials of testosterone that no one can determine who they were for, etc ).

I'm not arguing that Jumbo isn't doing drugs, of course they are, as is everyone in the peloton that cares about winning, its just the ridiculousness of 4 different TDF winners in 8 years is over the top. Especially when those tour winners include Wiggo, Froome and Thomas. At least Bernal was thought to have GC talent when he arrived at Sky. The others, not so much. If Roglic, van Aert, and Sepp Kuss each win the TDF over the next 7 years, I will agree with you that Jumbo is as ridiculous as Sky/Ineos.
No Sky/Ineos rider ever pulled off a 1 minute time trial win over the rest of the world class field like Roglic, Pocagar and Dumoulin did.

Froome was a very good time-trialler and climber, got him 4 bronzes at Olympics and Worlds, but when he had the whole team to help he could get a few extra seconds on his rivals.

Mutants like the Jumbo and UAE riders mentioned can just do a whole minute better than the entire world class field.

Yeah, after several millions pounds government funded investigation into Sky/Ineos they found a couple of dodgy TUEs. (Like Serena Williams and many others)

Imagine if any other nations governments investigated likes of Jumbo, UAE and Bahrain with such clout?

Last edited: