• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 85 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well they are decent in the hilly classics. Or does Valverde not count? However, I agree that it's nice to see they are finally acknowledging that the cobbled races exist and they should maybe have some riders for those races. However, after this interview, I'm semi wondering if this is part of why Valverde decided to race Dwars in 2020? He along with Erviti and Oliviera are the best current cobbled riders they have.

Mitchelton Scott seem to be heading down the MS Route - Focusing on GC and hilly classics - Are ordinary in cobbled races in which they don't want to spend money - Dont have a top line sprinter, though neo-pro Groves is fast and may come through in a few years.

Carapaz saying now he finally knows what being a professional rider is about now that he's at Ineos lol.

Which is ridiculous to me, but obviously he has a totally different idea of what professional is than other people do. Movistar and Ineos have completely different philosophies on literally everything. I could never work for a company run the way Ineos is run, they basically tell you exactly what to do. I need more freedom, which is why I love being vendor. As long as my work is done by the do date and done correctly they don't care when or how I do it. That's much more of an EF Education or Movistar way of doing things. Some of us need freedom to be able to do our best at our jobs. To me, everything I've heard about the way Ineos does things (the "British way") feels like they are treating the team as children. For me the EF and Movistar way shows their riders/team members much more trust as they expect them to be professional, while Ineos feels like they have to tell them how to be professional all the time.

Which is ridiculous to me, but obviously he has a totally different idea of what professional is than other people do. Movistar and Ineos have completely different philosophies on literally everything. I could never work for a company run the way Ineos is run, they basically tell you exactly what to do. I need more freedom, which is why I love being vendor. As long as my work is done by the do date and done correctly they don't care when or how I do it. That's much more of an EF Education or Movistar way of doing things. Some of us need freedom to be able to do our best at our jobs. To me, everything I've heard about the way Ineos does things (the "British way") feels like they are treating the team as children. For me the EF and Movistar way shows their riders/team members much more trust as they expect them to be professional, while Ineos feels like they have to tell them how to be professional all the time.
well, Ineos must think the same, Carapaz is training in his country instead of Gran Canaria with the others. As long as his work is done by the do date and done correctly.......

well, Ineos must think the same, Carapaz is training in his country instead of Gran Canaria with the others. As long as his work is done by the do date and done correctly.......

You obviously didn't read what I wrote. Ineos is strict on what their riders do while other teams are not. He may be training elsewhere, but still on a strict leash. Landa did a lot of his training in Spain and NOT with the team, but the team still had his day planned out for him. You can be sure the same thing is going on with Carapaz. Thus that is the exact opposite of doing the work the way you want to or even need to.

Last edited:
You obviously didn't read what I wrote. Ineos is strict on what their riders do while other teams are not. He may be training elsewhere, but still on a strict leash. Landa did a lot of his training in Spain and NOT with the team, but the team still had his day planned out for him. You can be sure the same thing is going on with Carapaz. Thus that is the exact opposite of doing the work the way you want to or even need to.
Imagine if Landa had to travel all the way from Spain to Gran Canaria to train.

Valverde, Mas and Soler will all three ride the TdF.

That had been hinted at at the team presentation. If I remember correctly, Valverde had said then himself, Mas and Soler would be racing the Tour (and la Vuelta). However, the team wouldn't confirm it. Today the team along with Soler and Mas have now confirmed it.

Calendars for their 3 leaders:
Marc Soler:
Challenge Mallorca (3 days), Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana, Vuelta a Andalucía, Strade Bianche, Tirreno-Adriatico, Volta a Catalunya, Tour de Suisse, Tour, Olympics (if selected), La Vuelta

Enric Mas:
Challenge Mallorca (3 days, debuts on Friday), Vuelta a Andalucía, Paris-Nice, Itzulia Basque Country, Ardennes Classics, Critérium du Dauphiné, Tour. - No details commented by Enric on his schedule after Le Tour

Alejandro Valverde:

Challenge Mallorca (2-3 days), Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana, Vuelta a Murcia, UAE Tour, Strade Bianche, Volta a Catalunya, Classics, one stagerace in June (RdS, Dauphiné or Suisse),Tour, Olympics, La Vuelta, Worlds.

Valverde's calendar is basically his typical race schedule.

Although not listed, all 3 will likely race the Spanish National Championships.

Will Movistar ever allow Soler to be the leader at a GT ? He's good enough to get a top 10 or better.

According to what Valverde said last month, Soler and Mas will be co-leaders at the Tour. As Bonimenier said, Soler did finish top 10 at la Vuelta last year. He went into it as a third option to ride for himself. However, he lost a bunch of time in an early stage and then had to work for Valverde and Quintana. Granted when he had a chance for a stage win and was called back to help Quintana we saw he wasn't happy about that. As we don't know if Enric Mas is going to try the Tour/Vuelta double this year or not Soler should be a co-leader with Mas at the Tour and then with Valverde at la Vuelta.

According to what Valverde said last month, Soler and Mas will be co-leaders at the Tour. As Bonimenier said, Soler did finish top 10 at la Vuelta last year. He went into it as a third option to ride for himself. However, he lost a bunch of time in an early stage and then had to work for Valverde and Quintana. Granted when he had a chance for a stage win and was called back to help Quintana we saw he wasn't happy about that. As we don't know if Enric Mas is going to try the Tour/Vuelta double this year or not Soler should be a co-leader with Mas at the Tour and then with Valverde at la Vuelta.

Movistar needs to do what Mitchelton Scott is doing in this year's Vuelta - They are giving Haig and Hamilton and Haig the chance to ride for GC - And there will be no distraction like Yates and Chaves at the Vuelta - There is no logical reason why Soler is not the leader at the Giro in which he will be suited by the parcours - Soler needs to get out of Movistar fast.

I like those schedules. Each one has opportunities to showcase themselves. The support behind them this year might be pretty thin though. We will see how that affects getting some results, or if they can go under the radar a bit in some races. I dont include Valverde in that, because Valverde is Valverde.

Some decent race schedules, allthough I really had hoped Movistar would have sent Soler to the Giro. Or Mas even. But I understand their decision, its all in for TdF and Vuelta since its by far the most important races for the team and there is a lot of uncertainty with all these 3 leaders in GTs.

I wonder who the team will send to Italy..... Bentacur, Sepulveda, maybe a lot of the young guys? It will be extremely weak since you would want some of the best domestiques for the other two GTs like Pedrero, Rojas and Oliveira.

Edit: Oh, and theres actually a Dane on the squad for once. I would never have imagined that actually, thats great and could get some decent insight.

TRENDING THREADS