• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tennis

Page 135 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
He beat Murray in the final last week. Safe to say he's in top form.

This is a weird fluke.

Imagine what the odds would have been for him losing that match against a qualifier.

Good and easy money for him and his friends.

I remember an interview where he was asked about matchfixing, and he basically downplayed it as if it was nothing to worry about. Made me think he might be involved himself.

Re:

sniper said:

This is a weird fluke.

Imagine what the odds would have been for him losing that match against a qualifier.

I remember an interview where he was asked about matchfixing, and he basically downplayed it as if it was nothing to worry about. Made me think he might be involved himself.
Matchfixing is rather hard to imagine. Any big bets on his loss would be highly suspicious and betting companies would notice - especially if he really loses. Unless he was threatened by mafia of course.

Re:

sniper said:

This is a weird fluke.

Apologies in advance for what might be a dumb question, but given the amount of money Novac has won throughout his career, I'd be surprised to learn he was in need of a quick fix.
Are you suggesting he's in the pockets of folks who don't know how to play tennis?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
All fair points. And I'm just speculating of course.

Peter B's point is a fair point, but maybe they have ways to spread the bets and make it look less suspicious?

To be honest, I have no idea how much money is involved and how financially tempting it would be (or not be) for Joker to throw a match at a Slam.

Anyhow, I seem to remember his answers in that interview didnt convince me, and I wondered why he was downplaying it.

And yes, I guess it's possible that he was pressurized. I think the matchfixing maffia is not to be underestimate.
But clutching at straws of course.

Of course I realize it could be a legit loss. It could be anything really.
Indeed surprise losses at Slams happen and it's what makes the sport interesting also.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
from same article:

Over the last decade, 16 players who have ranked in the top 50 have been repeatedly flagged to the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) over suspicions they have thrown matches.”

so indeed it seems to affect the top end, too.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
and this is (again from same source) Novak's response that got me thinking, why is he downplaying it?
“I don’t think a shadow is cast over our sport. People are talking about names, guessing who these players are. But there’s no real proof or evidence yet of any active players, for that matter. As long as it’s like that, it’s just speculation.”

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Re:

yaco said:
The top players are occasionally beaten early in Grand Slams - Nothing to read here.

If you think a lot of top tennis players are on doping programs (I don't know if you do. I do), do you not think it is reasonable to assume that they tailor their programs to peak for the second half of the second week in slams, on the basis that they should win their first few games?

On the other hand, a guy like Istoman (already a pretty big hitter), sees he's up against Djock frist round, and may taylor his program to peak for that match. We often see Nadal struggling early in tournaments and really pick it up in later stages.

Pure speculation, interested to hear thoughts.

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
].

He narrowly beat Murray despite hitting very accurately. Not so long ago that kind of accuracy would have crushed Murray.

Today he played well in the middle of the match but faded terribly at the end.

Match fixing isn't possible as any significant bets would set off huge alarms.

Re:

sniper said:
All fair points. And I'm just speculating of course.

Peter B's point is a fair point, but maybe they have ways to spread the bets and make it look less suspicious?

To be honest, I have no idea how much money is involved and how financially tempting it would be (or not be) for Joker to throw a match at a Slam.

Anyhow, I seem to remember his answers in that interview didnt convince me, and I wondered why he was downplaying it.

And yes, I guess it's possible that he was pressurized. I think the matchfixing maffia is not to be underestimate.
But clutching at straws of course.

Of course I realize it could be a legit loss. It could be anything really.
Indeed surprise losses at Slams happen and it's what makes the sport interesting also.

I definately would not consider matchfixing a realistic possibility here. Djoker earns untold millions, and one of the reasons why he dopes so much to begin with is because he wants to win so badly.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I just read the match report and it doesn't look like Joker threw it in the fifth but rather got outplayed.
So indeed not very plausible altogether.

Something else, how is Feliciano Lopez still a top 20 player? Great volleyer but very mediocre groundstrokes. To see him peak at this age, i wonder what sauce hes on.

Re: Re:

Remmie123 said:
yaco said:
The top players are occasionally beaten early in Grand Slams - Nothing to read here.

If you think a lot of top tennis players are on doping programs (I don't know if you do. I do), do you not think it is reasonable to assume that they tailor their programs to peak for the second half of the second week in slams, on the basis that they should win their first few games?

On the other hand, a guy like Istoman (already a pretty big hitter), sees he's up against Djock frist round, and may taylor his program to peak for that match. We often see Nadal struggling early in tournaments and really pick it up in later stages.

Pure speculation, interested to hear thoughts.

Have no issues with your post - Though the discussion was centred around match fixing.

It was definitely a strange match from Djokovic. He played well, with his typical defense and great backhand, but a lot of times he was hitting right into Istomin's hitting zone and just almost hitting back to him. Perhaps of the early rounds or playing down to the competition...whatever it was, it was strange. I've seen this from Serena Williams as well. It's not even hitting a lot of UE's, it's just almost passive, deliberate pensive hitting.

Istomin did play a very good match though. You look at matches like this and you say to yourself "where has this guy been all these years?" Actually he is an underachiever, but still, ranked 133rd coming to the Australian Open and not much form to speak of.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Zverev brothers seem to both have peaked at the same tournament.
Yeah. Although statistically it's probably not unexpected to finally see some German talent rise to the top.
Germany's men have a remarkably low number of only 7 grand slams amongst them (Stich 1; Becker 6)

sniper said:
The Hitch said:
Yeah. Although statistically it's probably not unexpected to finally see some German talent rise to the top.
Germany's men have a remarkably low number of only 7 grand slams amongst them (Stich 1; Becker 6)

For a big, 'old,' rich country with many possibilities and resources for all kinds of sports, Germany's record in tennis is generally modest. Steffi Graf alone carry Germany through the record books, and Becker is a legend, and Stich, while having one slam is generally perceived as an underachiever. Since Graf won Roland Garros in 1999, it's been pretty bare. Rainer Schuettler was a shock finalist in the Aussie 2003 where a likely doped Agassi beat him in straight sets and then there was Sabine Lisicki who only seems to play well at Wimbledon, getting to the finals and semis with that big serve. Now it's Kerber, a late bloomer who is very suspect for me, even more than the Zverev brothers.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I didn't like stich because I was a Becker fan. But have to admit he was a gifted player.
Although probably too tall and not quick and powerfull enough to really win much more.
Schuettler! Good memory, BF22.

Zverev's metier is more in the line of throwing matches than winning them. In the eyes of some punters, the integrity unit should have been all over him years ago but there again, they're always looking the other way too.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
^Well, i have a two-fold view on that: (a) she's highly dodgy; (b) tennis is a joke :)

^^interesting Zebadee about Zverev.
What's your view on Djoker's second round loss against istomin? Would you exclude fixing?

The Hitch said:
I had missed your point. Only just found out Mischa is ten years older than Alex. So yes, seeing them peak together at same tournament is a nice 'coincidence'.