• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tennis

Page 160 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Maybe I’m not understanding something—all chemicals have half lives, with the amount in one’s system decreasing over time, right? So as long as the amount is over the limit, the excuse of “it’s barely over the limit” could just as easily mean they actually had a much larger amount in their system and has been decreasing since they stopped. No matter how much of a drug someone takes, there is a day (or time) when a test would show an amount “barely over the limit.” Please set me straight if I’m not getting something here.

My point being is that finding a minuscule amount of a PED leads to a conclusion (by some) that it must be contamination. But an equally valid (and probably more likely) conclusion is that a doping product had not quite quite finished clearing their system.
incorrect timing or slight overdose.

almost none of those who comment know that they are not looking for substance "Z" but the metabolites that degrade as the hours pass.

Clearly guilty and should be banned.

Reactions: Cookster15
Dan Evans - who was given a 12-month ban after testing positive for cocaine in 2017 - said he thought Sinner was "lucky how quickly his case came forward".
“The question marks are how he got through that process so quick, when there’s normally a big backlog to get evidence on both sides, I remember with my own case how long it took - nothing was ever done very quick.
"I’m not sure that people are that happy that it’s a fair playing field on the ITIA’s process for all cases.
"We need transparency and fairness.”

Sinner (just believe, never doubt):
"Here I also know who is my friend and who is not my friend, because my friends, they know that I would never do that."

Why didn’t he fire them right after the 1st positive? Also, if you don’t know how something got into your system or say it’s an accident, why go through details to explain how it got into your system? He’s got a decent PR team and is the world number 1. Had he been lower ranked and dare I say, from a non Western country, he would have been suspended immediately.

Reactions: Sciatic
Today the BBC announced that WADA was not appealing and then an hour later that they have until September 30th... god how many economic interests in this case. Plus people see him as an angel now.

I think WADA is trying to make a considerable dossier.

Here there are millions of euros of sponsorships and the credibility of sport.

What if it was a blood bag? Contador? Quintana?

Am I the only one thinking about this possibility?

Today the BBC announced that WADA was not appealing and then an hour later that they have until September 30th... god how many economic interests in this case. Plus people see him as an angel now.

Two positive tests is a serious matter and TBH I don't believe the explanations given. What really surprised me is that he wasn't provisionally suspended for those few months. And that he got caught OFC.

Usually when a major positive comes to light so close to a big event (no matter the sport), it’s hard to just block it off and the athletes sometimes opt out of participating even if they aren’t suspended.

Vincent Vittoz of France, a former xc skier, was leading the World Cup overall at the start of the 2005 world championships in Oberstdorf, Germany, and he had a positive doping test right before the championships, but he had a similar excuse and continued to compete, and the backlash didn’t seem to be too big.

I'm completely out of the loop for pro tennis at this point, though I'm well aware of the doping going on that almost everyone wants to ignore.

Did Sinner win the U.S. Open on Sunday? After two positives for a banned steroid?

And all I hear about are the enormous crowds and dopey celebrities showing up. ZERO talk about a PED problem.

I'm completely out of the loop for pro tennis at this point, though I'm well aware of the doping going on that almost everyone wants to ignore.

Did Sinner win the U.S. Open on Sunday? After two positives for a banned steroid?

And all I hear about are the enormous crowds and dopey celebrities showing up. ZERO talk about a PED problem.
Yup, he won a grand slam title, after getting a doping violation thrown out with a ridiculous excuse, and thrown out just in time to enter the tournament. Crazy stuff.

Interesting how the omertà works in tennis. We’ve seen examples, particularly in swimming but also in Athletics, where the other competitors will show their frustration by ignoring, refusing to shake hands, and make snide comments about top athletes who escaped doping bans to compete against them. I didn’t watch, but did any of his opponents decline to shake his hand or stuff like that?

Last edited:
Yup, he won a grand slam title, after getting a doping violation thrown out with a ridiculous excuse, and thrown out just in time to enter the tournament. Crazy stuff.

Interesting how the omertà works in tennis. We’ve seen examples, particularly in swimming but also in Athletics, where the other competitors will show their frustration by ignoring, refusing to check hand, and make snide comments about top athletes who escaped doping bans. I didn’t watch, but did any of his opponents decline to shake his hand or stuff like that?
Probably a little different in tennis. All the top guys are making millions, so nobody wants to piss in the soup.

I remember tennis fans *** going full hate mode on Halep for testing positive, now Sinner is the good boy who would never do it.

It's so dumb how easily fans get swayed by *** PR messaging

Halep got screwed, certainly when comparing her to Sinner. Sure, she was able to get her name cleared in the end, but she was still suspended for 15 months.

That said, apart from the usual drama queens, Wozniacki and Serena, her peers treated her fairly, from what I’ve seen and heard. Her former coach (now Sinner’s), Darren Cahill, was adamantly behind her.

Dan Evans - was given a 12-month ban after testing positive for cocaine in 2017

I don't believe the cocaine narrative. This is UKAD's way of dealing with a systematic PED issue. A "cocaine bust" simply implies the athlete went to a couple of parties too many. Nice deflection. Anti-doping agencies have to be seen to be effective by catching a few fish but nobody reading cocaine headlines thinks tennis has a problem.

Halep got screwed, certainly when comparing her to Sinner. Sure, she was able to get her name cleared in the end, but she was still suspended for 15 months.

That said, apart from the usual drama queens, Wozniacki and Serena, her peers treated her fairly, from what I’ve seen and heard. Her former coach (now Sinner’s), Darren Cahill, was adamantly behind her.
Cahill's clients are an interesting bunch: Agassi, Hewitt, Halep and Sinner.

Extracted & translated from a faq here
https://www.corriere.it/sport/tenni...ci-503550ca-1607-4892-9c99-c7c49881bxlk.shtml

What does Sinner risk if the CAS recognizes fault or negligence?
A sentence of 3 to 6/8 months starting from March 10, the day of the first positive test.

Would Sinner lose titles, ATP points and prize money? Even those of the US Open?
He would lose everything he has won from March 10 until the day his sentence ends.
A six-month ban is required to revoke the US Open.