• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tennis

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
What do people make of this Jamie Baker guy? A complete non-entity, he has qualified for his first Grand Slam in 5 years. Sounds puzzling until you see he has spent a month working with Murray in Florida. Maybe Murray has been doing his mate a favour and giving him some of his drugs?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
What do people make of this Jamie Baker guy? A complete non-entity, he has qualified for his first Grand Slam in 5 years. Sounds puzzling until you see he has spent a month working with Murray in Florida. Maybe Murray has been doing his mate a favour and giving him some of his drugs?
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/28/s...riah-returns-to-wimbledon-and-loses.html?_r=0

see what Roddick and the US tennis clique said about Odesnik hehehehhe. hypocrites, Odesnik was the scapegoat

Bernie's eyesore, it aint one individual. 90% of the top 100 will be doing something technically outlawed by WADA regulations.

but this is pro sport.

one thing matters, the Win.

See John McEnroe. See all the times Nadal calls for a trainer or a bathroom break. He is only doing it to disrupt his competitor

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
this tells you all you need to know
http://tennishasasteroidproblem.blogspot.com.au/

and simple layperson psychology indicates, that type A personalities, will not willing surrender a very real, signigicant material advantage, to Nadal and the other top 10, without seeking to extinguish this competitive advantage.

It is a simple market equilibrium, competition will endeavour to ameliorate any edge the leaders have. And this edge is no secret.

blackcat said:
in defense of murray, they used to call Ken Rosewall MUSCLES, he was 5'6" 100lbs dripping wet, but his left forearm was huge. he was a leftie right? :p

Rosewall was nicknamed Muscles in a typically Australian manner, ... for his lack of them.

He's a lefty playing with his right hand because that's how his coaches compelled him to play in his debute. Conventions of the time.

Consequences of which being the most disastrous serve in history but a masterclass backhand.

By the way I have a book with a picture of Rosewall with his left hand, weird.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
yeah, redheads in Aus r called bluey.

but his tennis arm had a huge forearm. I was just talking potential atrophy of functional muscle in tennis. ;). but thanks for the correction, i was lazy with the post

blackcat said:
but his tennis arm had a huge forearm

If you think Rosewall's forearm was well developed, find a few photos of Laver's left arm, now that was amazing!

rod-laver-left-arm.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
those wooden rackets/racquets were damn heavy tho. So it was understandable why there were no development in other muscles, like shoulder pecs biceps/triceps

rocket was a ranger (redhead)

I came up playing collegiate tennis towards the end of Laver and Rosewall's careers and I can tell you that almost nobody did much weight work at all in tennis at that time. It was mistakenly thought that it would throw off one's timing and coordination. Now the Aussies were renowned for working towards incredible endurance under the guise of Harry Hopman but those forearms were the result from hitting day in and day out with those logs for racquets.

robow7 said:
I came up playing collegiate tennis towards the end of Laver and Rosewall's careers and I can tell you that almost nobody did much weight work at all in tennis at that time. It was mistakenly thought that it would throw off one's timing and coordination. Now the Aussies were renowned for working towards incredible endurance under the guise of Harry Hopman but those forearms were the result from hitting day in and day out with those logs for racquets.

Yup I read a lot about that too.

Training methods based on endurance but they were not followed by subsequent generations.

Ivan Lendl brought fitness into the game. He's considered The Father of Modern Tennis. Connors once told Roddick: "I never went to a gym in my life, just played tennis."

I also read a bit about Laver's forearm, "comparable to a heavyweight boxing champion". And he was the only player in history to never hold his racquet with his second hand between each stroke. He was an amazing champion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSXETXKi7OI

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Mr.38% said:
Look at that grove in the chest, amazing what hormonal treatment can do. And really scary that healthy young women still put their health in danger for a little success in sports.

I hate to be crude but her and Serena must have a seriously enlarged ****, I feel sorry for any boyfriend they have.

Kratochvilova still holds the women's (!) 800 metre world record. It's unlikely to be broken. Legally that is.

Back to tennis. The ITF recently announced its intention to introduce a variation of the bio passport to monitor the top pros, or has at least expressed its wish to do so. That suggest that the ITF realises or suspects what is going on but one of the problems in tennis is the complete lack of transparency from the regulatory body itself which only encourages more and more speculation. There's little doubt in my mind that some of the big stars in tennis, past and present, can be properly suspected of ped use but it's highly unlikely that we will ever find out. The Spanish authorities for example have made it perfectly plain that their investigations into cycling's doping doctors will be limited to what went on in cycling, thus protecting some of tennis's biggest stars from the fallout.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jan/17/andy-murray-defends-doping-allegations

Murray's putting himself on dodgy grounds with these remarks. It wasn't so long ago that he, along with Nadal and a few others, were complaining about testing. He moaned about the testers turning up too early - at times, incidentally, which he volunteered himself to comply with the ITF's whereabouts rule. He also doesn't seem to realise that a growing section of the sporting public are fed up with the years of constant lies and denials put out by athletes who were subsequently found to have doped. It's really down to a sport now and the players who gain their wealth from it, to show their sport is clean.

It also rather disingenuous to claim players don't play back-to-back matches during tournaments. It's standard practice in a lot of the ATP tour events and happens too at the US Open where traditionally men's semi-finals were played on Super Saturday, the day before the final. It's almost miraculous how a pro can recover sufficiently in those circumstances when he finishes his semi less than twenty four hours before the championship match.

Moreover, tennis itself has now largely been reduced to a ball-bashing spectacle fought almost entirely from the back of the court. Doping has allowed players to develop a style of play they can sustain for hours. When the ITF finally introduce the blood passport and some proper out-of-competition testing then we are likely to see an adjustment in playing styles where more players come to net early to finish points. At the moment they can hang around the back of the court all day long knowing that little or nothing can stop them getting behind the ball and returning it with interest.

Maybe Murray ought to pose some questions to his fellow professionals, like asking David Ferrer why he felt the need to consult Dr del Moral for advice on his training and performance. Or wonder more deeply why there are no longer any teenagers in the ATP's top 100 players and why younger players find it so hard to break through. Or there again, perhaps he shouldn't.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
zebedee said:
It also rather disingenuous to claim players don't play back-to-back matches during tournaments. It's standard practice in a lot of the ATP tour events and happens too at the US Open where traditionally men's semi-finals were played on Super Saturday, the day before the final. It's almost miraculous how a pro can recover sufficiently in those circumstances when he finishes his semi less than twenty four hours before the championship match.

I agree with your post in general, but in respect of the quoted section, the key point is that a guy in the US Open final only has to recover relative to the person they're playing. (Much that same as if two people are running away from a lion, you only need to out-run the other guy rather than the lion to survive.)

Thus, you can still have a 10% recovery advantage if you've recovered 50% compared to the other guy's 40%. Alternatively, if your still kn*ckered and can run at 8mps instead of your normal 10mps, you'll still do well against someone who's down to 7mps from their usual 10mps.

This accords with intuition and personal experience. You can do a hard effort one day and still do a very decent effort the next day, even though it wouldn't be your best. Obviously, doping would aid recovery, but the point is that it's perfectly possible to perform to a decent level the day after a hard effort without assistance. It's not like doping is required to enable a player to make it out of bed on the day of the final!

I read some analysis once about the relative success rate in the final given the timing of the semi final (ie before or after the ladies' final.) Can't remember the results, unfortunately. There was a theory that the guy from the earliest semi won more often than not due to different recovery periods.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Cookster15 said:
It's not only Murray. Novak Djokovic has spoken at the Australian Open about Armstrong's Oprah appearance saying Tennis is heavily tested :mad:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis/...rah/story-e6frf4mu-1226557030117#.UPkqPfLheSo

Same for Sharapova, who gave an absolutely ridiculous answer to a question regarding Armstrongs confession. Something along the lines of: "Tennis is as clean as it can be, we are constantly tested and give whereabouts about where we are every day of the year." Also some lame joke about being tested on her birthday and how incredible that was. Journalists thought it was hilarious though, eating out of her hand (where did I see that again?).

Absolutely hypocritical response from those players. Doping-controls in tennis are a joke and the "holier than holy"-attitude is absolutely pathetic.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
boomcie said:
Same for Sharapova, who gave an absolutely ridiculous answer to a question regarding Armstrongs confession. Something along the lines of: "Tennis is as clean as it can be, we are constantly tested and give whereabouts about where we are every day of the year." Also some lame joke about being tested on her birthday and how incredible that was. Journalists thought it was hilarious though, eating out of her hand (where did I see that again?).

Absolutely hypocritical response from those players. Doping-controls in tennis are a joke and the "holier than holy"-attitude is absolutely pathetic.

Pretty much anyone who doesn't cry foul of the testing regime is a cause for concern and raises alarm bells.

Sharapova doesn't have the bulk as if she uses androgens or anabolics but she might use insulin and EPO.

TRENDING THREADS