• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tennis

Page 98 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I know nothing about Nastase, but I've heard that Connors was/is an *** and McEnroe had every right to blow his gasket due to poorly trained umpires back in the day.
Kygrious reminds me of a young Andre Agassi (apologies for misspelling names)--i.e. a young hot head who's personality will be transformed over the years by a bunch of pr reps, coaches and agents. If memory serves, Agassi was hated in his early years, but eventually became a loved one, even though he admitted to doping.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Paradoxically, and sadly, the media and public's love for the reformed hero will make him more loved by fans and sponsors alike when he does eventually feign to grasp the error of his ways.

So what is up with Nadal ? watched his match against the tiny, useless argentine player last night - Nadal is playing like a club player. Talk about race horse to donkey.

His movement is bizarre - its like he has lost the ability to run. His shots are all over the place because he isnt in position when he gets to the ball. All his speed and movement are slow. Its like watching Del Potro or Raonic the way they are heavy and not agile.

Maybe his knees are the cause - with my sensible non-ped head on - or maybe he is off the epo and is now back to pack fodder.

Nadal might be like Tiger and eventually it's catching up with him and his joints, not just the grinding clay court tennis but the use of ped's as well. It will be interesting to see if he has a third wind in him, the last time he came back to be king but not looking that way right now.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Cycle Chic said:
been told to peg it back by the atp
Seems very unlikely to me.

I think the most obvious and most likely explanation is that he's finished. He had a long and grueling career.

Speaking of gruelling, the heat and humidity at flushing meadows seems extreme. Anyone watched Jack Sock retire? Brutal stuff. Murray two sets down currently as well.

I know who my pick is for the player least affected by such conditions, hopping around and stretching for every ball. :p

Re:

the delgados said:
rowbow7:
Curious to hear your take on John Mcenroe (sp?) claim that Kygrios will be run out of the sport if he doesn't clean up his act.
Funny that the statement comes from the notorious bad boy of tennis. But I'm just wondering how the guy could be run out of the sport. How would that happen?

Well its the clinic, so my first thought is - fake positive.

Man, if this is cutting back than full genius is scary (again, show me a single tennis player in the history of the game with guns like that)

486126564-rafael-nadal-of-spain-celebrates-a-point-in-gettyimages.jpg

Re:

[quote="robow7"]Nadal might be like Tiger and eventually it's catching up with him and his joints, not just the grinding clay court tennis but the use of ped's as well. It will be interesting to see if he has a third wind in him, the last time he came back to be king but not looking that way right now.[/quote]

The similarity occurred to me too....how can anyone go from racehorse to 'not just a donkey' but unable to even walk.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Cycle Chic said:
The similarity occurred to me too....how can anyone go from racehorse to 'not just a donkey' but unable to even walk.
lol.

However, i think the average tennis/sports fan doesn't see anything unusual in Nadal fading away and not reaching his old level. They'll say he has bad knees, has always struggled with injuries, and simply can't handle the physical demands anymore.

And to be fair they'll have something of a point. There've been plenty of topathletes who simply had to retire early due to being physically broke.
Van Basten is one example.

SeriousSam said:
Cycle Chic said:
been told to peg it back by the atp
Seems very unlikely to me.
I think the most obvious and most likely explanation is that he's finished. He had a long and grueling career.
agree

It's 1 AM here at the US Open and Nadal and Fognini are putting on a helluva show into the 5th. It's like Rock'em Sock'em Robots, amazing they can keep covering the court that they are and striking the ball as well at this point in the match, reminiscent of the Aussie final with Djoker. My hats off to the winner if after one day of rest he can come out and do this again. This game is so damn physical, it doesn't even resemble the game that I grew up playing Ha

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
Nadal also appears physically stronger. As Martina Navratilova pointed out during Wimbledon, he had started to look almost too lean; now his upper body has recovered something of its former muscularity.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/05/rafael-nadal-fabio-fognini-us-open-2015-aura-invincibility

Nadal does look way more muscular. Maybe why he cant move very well. ??

Don't think so. I think it's likely that a decade of playing a physically demanding style has finally taken it's toll on him.

I was marveling last night at Nadal's legs, they were like well defined muscular tree trunks. Back in the day we thought South Africa's Johan Kriek had larger legs but Nadal made those look like Miss Twiggy.

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Re:

robow7 said:
I was marveling last night at Nadal's legs, they were like well defined muscular tree trunks. Back in the day we thought South Africa's Johan Kriek had larger legs but Nadal made those look like Miss Twiggy.

Yes, Murray and Berdych are equally if not more impressive.. Also check out Janko Tisarevic's:

tipsariviclegs.jpg

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
thrawn said:
Cycle Chic said:
Nadal also appears physically stronger. As Martina Navratilova pointed out during Wimbledon, he had started to look almost too lean; now his upper body has recovered something of its former muscularity.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/05/rafael-nadal-fabio-fognini-us-open-2015-aura-invincibility

Nadal does look way more muscular. Maybe why he cant move very well. ??

Don't think so. I think it's likely that a decade of playing a physically demanding style has finally taken it's toll on him.

Nadal is not the same physical specimen that he was.
He is a bit slower, a bit weaker, and has a bit less stamina.
He CAN'T win without a significant physical advantage over his opponent.
His tennis is just not good enough.

I could only speculate as to why this is, however he has had these down years before (2009, 2012), and each time he came back the next year and had career years (2010, 2013).

Don't count out Dr. Cotorro yet. I am sure that he is developing a new program for Rafa right now.

We will have a better idea of whether Nadal is done or not in the first half of 2016. If he doesn't win either of those first two slams (Australian Open, Rolland Garros), he is likely done.

TRENDING THREADS