• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tennis

Page 101 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

bewildered said:
i don't see dilated pupils in those pics. Can you post a pic of his 'normal' size pupils to compare? It's called keeping your eye on the ball.

My point is whether they are on roids or not, there is nothing different in them physically or in terms of how they have played in this tourney. They have been playing like that for years. They may be doped but there is no performance change in this tourney. They are both well beatable players, just got lucky with draws and in Vinci's case with Serena having an absolute shocker. Bartoli the same, didn't have to beat a top 15 player to win Wimbledon.

Serena's performances are more suspicious to me in terms of how little power she seemed to have against Vinci compared to normally. Vinci is not a strong, tall, or fast player, Serena should blow her off the court. She shouldn't be broken once by a player like Vinci. It's all down to her as to whether that happens or not.

actually,that is not the case.

on hard court they run all day, on clay they run all day.

we can say they are ALL doping, but these two, they never would have won versus Martina, Steffi, or even Chris Evert. Now, you can say they were doping too, mebbe, I reckon pushed by her father, Steffi surely, but Martina and those male forearms, surely roided.

But they did have a degree of talent no one else did in their era. So, in this respect, Serena, for all her fathers errors, and Richard Williams was one of the worst sporting parents of all time, no doubt he doped his kids, so who can blame Serena, well... Serena always had talent and ability. It is sad her transformation like those GDR female athletes when their testosterone supplementation meant they had transitioned to both the male physical and psychological identity. Serena has also had aweful blowups in the past years, she threatened a female line judge saying she would shove "this" ball down your throat and gut you like a pig. pretty violent act to an umpire, it should have got her months out, then a dialogue with the public (not involving Serena) about PEDs and like Savulescu says, legalising them, and providing a medical supervision. But no, will never happen, one cannot appreciate all the succour moms out there are actually enabling it with the head-in-sand view, like alpe73 would say.

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
what exactly is not the case?? I don't get you
Agree they wouldn't have won against Steffi and Martina etc, but that just underlines my point that it was a drop in Serena's levels not a raising of their own, ie next to nothing different in how they played in this tourney compared to previous years. Watch the match again and tell me that Serena played well. Vinci won 85 points in total, 40 of them were unforced errors from Serena. Vinci played her usual slice game and Serena couldn't keep the ball in Court, that is the primary reason she lost, not because of how Vinci played.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

bewildered said:
what exactly is not the case?? I don't get you
Agree they wouldn't have won against Steffi and Martina etc, but that just underlines my point that it was a drop in Serena's levels not a raising of their own, ie next to nothing different in how they played in this tourney compared to previous years. Watch the match again and tell me that Serena played well. Vinci won 85 points in total, 40 of them were unforced errors from Serena. Vinci played her usual slice game and Serena couldn't keep the ball in Court, that is the primary reason she lost, not because of how Vinci played.

my post should be read as "would not win against Steffi and Martina[if they, these current winners, werent on these new programs]"

this premises, Steffi and Martina never did what was available in their day, which i previously qualified.

I thought it was clear my point, these current "upset" winners, would have taken Martina and Steffi down if they did not have access to their modern day PED programs. Or conversely, the modern day dopers needed to play clean.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
Cycle Chic said:
dea15-0816-tennisfinals-7018.jpg

Does anyone know what drug / amphetamine would keep his eyes like this through his matches ? NOT NORMAL !

Compare to 2006

20140228122725.jpg

great find CC.

#NOTNORMAL
pupils to marginal degree dilated, tumescent, but not overwhelmingly so,

like the last interview Radcliffe did for the Beeb
crazyladyeyes

You'll get head hunted by the BBC at this rate.

Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
Red Rick said:
Lol, there's tons of things dodgy about tennis, and most of are probably juicing but things like this are not giving the sceptics more credit.
huh, what things?

Trying to draw conclusions from pupil dilation on photographs where the angle and lighting is different. Not saying it's nothing per se, but I think the general public give you a weird look than start doubting tennis.

No,
comparing pupil size via different photos doesn't imply anything, far too many variables. That he has excellent visual skills and able to track the flight of the ball so well is not so surprising as he is one of the very best ball strikers the game has seen. There's plenty of other "traits" that you can be suspicious of in order to satisfy your opinion.

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
The Hitch said:
Red Rick said:
Lol, there's tons of things dodgy about tennis, and most of are probably juicing but things like this are not giving the sceptics more credit.
huh, what things?

Trying to draw conclusions from pupil dilation on photographs where the angle and lighting is different. Not saying it's nothing per se, but I think the general public give you a weird look than start doubting tennis.

I think only one person in here has said anything about that so I don't get why you used the plural - sceptics.

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Could the pupil size look different between day and night matches? Serena Williams, the greatest athlete in the world, is taking the rest of the year off. The other WTA players should be very afraid, because Serena is going to come back recharged and stronger than ever.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
robow7 said:
Cycle Chic said:
havent seen any other players whose eyes are so dilated

In those photos, the pupils are not dilated. Do you mean his eyes are wide open, lids fully retracted? Not quite sure what you are seeing here : )

I know it seems far fetched to make any kind of conclusion based on those images,

On the other hand, seing those pictures leaves no doubt in my mind that he is on "something"..

Combined with my general belief, that no top dawg in any sport is able to compete (top 10 world) without peds then it's a no-brainer..

Now before you say I can't conclude anything based on this picture then please consider that this is only part of the equation.

robow7 said:
Cycle Chic said:
havent seen any other players whose eyes are so dilated

In those photos, the pupils are not dilated. Do you mean his eyes are wide open, lids fully retracted? Not quite sure what you are seeing here : )

ok - take your tennis racket and go play for half an hour - and see if you can purposely widen your eyes during every rally for half an hour.

Djokovic maintains that for 3 and 5 hours. Its most pronounced when he's receiving serve.

COMPARE his eyes to earlier in his career - 2008 and 2011 and 2015

68944347b00df3544a8c20dbe69fe9cb-getty-tennis-aus-open-final-djokovic.jpg

novak-djokovic-australian-open2011-04.jpg

CO0i7ahWwAEQYig.jpg

article-P-867e5a1e-e7ef-42d0-82a7-a342b9c0f0d5-6XFBOIG9VHSK2-379_634x356.jpg

Compare to Wawrinka

Stanislas-Wawrinka-Australian-Open-Day-10-ZEUT0QJIdMUl.jpg

and theres no cherry picking photos - just google him and look at the many images.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Incidentally, returning serve is what he is the best in the world at with hardly a match going by without commentators making observations like 'incredible how early he sees the ball!'

Probably some stimulant.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Incidentally, returning serve is what he is the best in the world at with hardly a match going by without commentators making observations like 'incredible how early he sees the ball!'

Probably some stimulant.
I have to laugh every time I see pics of Djoko going full slide like in the 3rd picture of the above post, and your sarcastic observation that its perfectly normal for someone to do that 20 times a game and not get injured.

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Do people not know what dilated and constricted and normal pupils look like? Reactive and non-reactive to light?

I'm not defending Novak as being clean -- that would be absurd. He's got to be on something - and still a great responder to whatever it is at this point in his career. The change in Djokovic was clear after 2010 US Open. Before that time, he was really good but beating Federer in the semi-final 2010, winning Davis Cup that fall, "going gluten-free" propelled him to kill it in 2011 winning 3 GS's and a shed load of Master's 1000's, and taking over ATP #1. 2011 and 2015 are his best seasons and nothing short of miraculous.

But if someone is on amphetamines or meds for ADHD like Adderall, Ritalin, ect, their pupils will be huge, nearly obscuring the entire iris = the pupils will be to a size that nearly makes the eyes have no color other than black. Novak's eyes don't appear that way. Constricted, pinpoint pupils will be just the opposite of dilated - hardly any pupil, mostly iris -- opiate addicts have that ---pinpoint pupils. Novak's pupils look normal. His wide- eyed, bug-eyed expression is not normal...his pupils are fine.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
jalep said:
Do people not know what dilated and constricted and normal pupils look like? Reactive and non-reactive to light?

I'm not defending Novak as being clean -- that would be absurd. He's got to be on something - and still a great responder to whatever it is at this point in his career. The change in Djokovic was clear after 2010 US Open. Before that time, he was really good but beating Federer in the semi-final 2010, winning Davis Cup that fall, "going gluten-free" propelled him to kill it in 2011 winning 3 GS's and a shed load of Master's 1000's, and taking over ATP #1. 2011 and 2015 are his best seasons and nothing short of miraculous.

But if someone is on amphetamines or meds for ADHD like Adderall, Ritalin, ect, their pupils will be huge, nearly obscuring the entire iris = the pupils will be to a size that nearly makes the eyes have no color other than black. Novak's eyes don't appear that way. Constricted, pinpoint pupils will be just the opposite of dilated - hardly any pupil, mostly iris -- opiate addicts have that ---pinpoint pupils. Novak's pupils look normal. His wide- eyed, bug-eyed expression is not normal...his pupils are fine.

its just a little bit

like someone or another forum i post on, say "cant possibly play/compete while high". but, we are not talking "high". there becomes a negative economy, and I think it would come pretty quick, too fidgety, too up up up. But just a little bit like the sprinters, to sharpen their reflexes on the start.

and where is this point? It is a heuristic, it would be an applied experiment, it would not meet any scientific paper's bar, it would not surpass that scientific threshold.

but how many sprinters on the line up, at the olympics, are not starting with some drug to sharpen their reflexes at the start?

Re:

jalep said:
https://uniqueoptique.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/donknotts.jpg

Something has maybe messed up his thyroid - hyperthyroid can be a cause of bug-eyed appearance.

He shows no sign of exophthalmos and extremely unlikely he has any thyroid condition, but that is funny !

TRENDING THREADS