• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tennis

Page 128 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Tienus said:
I would indeed argue that. Why do so many pro cyclist live in Spain? If it was for the weather they would not be living in the Costa Brava.

IIRC Tyler Hamilton in "The Secret Race" said a major motivator in his move from living in the south of France to Girona, was that the French were beginning to take anti doping seriously, but the Spanish didn't take it seriously at all.

Re: Re:

Farcanal said:
sniper said:
Spain sucked at soccer in the 90s, which is when they had an organized (Olympic) doping effort going on.
Meanwhile, Spain became the best soccer nation in the world, but only after Operacion Puerto, which arguably marked the beginning of the end of Spain's massive organized (Olympic) doping efforts.
Just saying, at least for Spain there seems to be no clear correlation between being good at soccer and organized (Olympic) doping programs.
Same for the Netherlands. They are at present (re)gaining ground in certain (Olympic) disciplines (cycling, athletics, tennis), but meanwhile failed to qualify for the EC soccer. So again, there seems to be no clear correlation.
Britain is even more obvious. Doping for the Olympics has been rampant, and successful, but in soccer they still can't proceed beyond the quarters of a major tournament.

At least live up to your name and be accurate. Netherlands have been 2nd and 3rd in the last two world cups, failing to qualify for the Euros once hardly counts as 'sucking'. Spain have always been relaible qualifiers and reached the quarters in the 90's. again hardly sucking then or now. Any serious soccer pundit would consider Netherlands and Spain as teams to be a serious challenge to overcome in any competition.

Again, Britain doesn't play soccer internationally, England and Scotland will have nothing to do with each other so they will always suck at it. You can take that as a given over decades irrespective of what is happening in other sports.

I'll leave the rampant doping jibe. It's not worthy of reply

You'll leave the bit you have no argument against. How convenient.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
tantocomo said:
BullsFan22 said:
Speaking of Spain and Netherlands, Muguruza just might be the Dafne Schippers of tennis. Big, strong, brutal, doping.

Are you kidding me? Did you not see who she was playing?! ;)

miss panic room?

jodiegifforever.gif

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
This is a big ask, however I could have sworn that I read in this very thread that Djokovic had missed two out of competition tests a few years ago. I've just spent half an hour trawling through the thread but I can't find the link.

Did I read it on this forum or on another? Has anyone got the link that they can post?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

London Hibs said:
This is a big ask, however I could have sworn that I read in this very thread that Djokovic had missed two out of competition tests a few years ago. I've just spent half an hour trawling through the thread but I can't find the link.

Did I read it on this forum or on another? Has anyone got the link that they can post?
here's a link that mentions missed tests by nadal and federer, but not djoker.
http://cambridgeglobalist.org/2016/03/17/meltdown-meldonium-tennis-faces-doping-demons/
That is a good read, btw. Shows unequivocally that tennis and antidoping doen't go particularly well together.

Yet,
These changes, which are anticipated to come into effect in the second half of 2013 will ensure that tennis remains a leader in anti-doping.
http://tennishasasteroidproblem.blogspot.com/2013/06/itf-anti-doping-update.html

Re:

London Hibs said:
This is a big ask, however I could have sworn that I read in this very thread that :( Djokovic had missed two out of competition tests a few years ago. I've just spent half an hour trawling through the thread but I can't find the link.

The ITFs anti-doping program no longer release any data on missed tests. IIRC, they stopped before Djokovic underwent his physical transformation. They did, at one point, release athlete-specific information on anti-doping missions where no sample was collected, but they've stopped doing this (likely because of the negative speculation that the information generated). The only athlete-specific data they release now are rough numbers of tests per year, which is of little value (since we don't get blood/urine; ABP/sophisticated blood substance analysis; or IC/OOC breakdowns).

See here for earlier data that was available.
http://tennishasasteroidproblem.blogspot.com/2011/09/list.html

I didn't even watch the French Open this year... I can't enjoy tennis any longer when I don't know what to believe

The joker is a great actor who knows how to play a crowd.
Mere minutes before finishing off his opponent, he was writhing around on his court-side seat like he couldn't wait for the match to be over so he could go pee. "I gotta go! I really gotta go pee!"
Then, after completing a thorough beat-down, he approached Murray at the net to shake hands and pretended he was spent. Bows down as if to indicate Murray really wore him out.
Good theatrics that plays into the crowd's hands.

Re:

the delgados said:
Mere minutes before finishing off his opponent, he was writhing around on his court-side seat like he couldn't wait for the match to be over so he could go pee. "I gotta go! I really gotta go pee!"
Then, after completing a thorough beat-down, he approached Murray at the net to shake hands and pretended he was spent. Bows down as if to indicate Murray really wore him out.

He is the Lebron James of tennis, in my humble opinion. In fairness to Lebron though, basketball is a team sport and even if he plays a great game, there's no guarantee you'll win. Djokovic, obviously, doesn't need to worry about which teammate to pass the ball to or to listen to a coach drawing a play, he also doesn't have to worry about a shot clock (speaking of shot clocks, a lot of players, including Djokovic still abuse the time between each point, but the umpires are so scared of the top players that they rarely give out warnings, and when they do, the players flip out and no warnings after that, irrespective of time wasted). Both of these guys certainly play to the crowd. They pump their chests, yell humorously loudly and 'longly' and sometimes look up at the screen to make sure they are on screen.

Specifically on Djokovic, it's come to the point now where unless he completely loses interest or plays a terrible match, he is gonna win. Sure, somebody like Wawrinka, Federer, Murray, perhaps a youngster that plays with no fear like Thiem or Zverev might beat him when they are on, but he is dominating physically, and who would have said that prior to 2011? The guy couldn't walk most of the matches that went over 4 sets. He abandoned numerous matches, a number of them slams (quarters at Australia, semis at Wimbledon, etc) and he always seemed out of breath. Now he does whatever he wants. Federer has pushed him the last couple years, but hasn't beaten him in a slam since Wimbledon 2012 in the semis. Wawrinka has been a nice match for him, but Wawrinka doesn't make it to enough grand slam semis and finals and he is two years older than Novak, so he's got another couple years of contending. Where are the young guys? If Kyrgios, Coric, Thiem, Zverev...don't begin to make more significant noise at slams and masters series events, nobody will. Federer will retire soon I think. Nadal should theoretically have another 3 perhaps 4 years of solid tennis left, but his physical issues are preventing him from even having that. Murray is too much of head case when playing for slam titles and Wawrinka is still too inconsistent. Tsonga, Gasquet, Berdych, Cilic, Raonic are still a level or two below so their best bet is a lights out tournament (Cilic 2014 Us Open). Other than that, Djokovic will continue to dominate.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

the delgados said:
i am sorry u dont believe in miracles, this is a hard clay surface, and hard work wins on this hardclay surface

vive maple leaves, missiles, gonzo pawm, and roland garos then set tiebreaks

blackcat said:
the delgados said:
i am sorry u dont believe in miracles, this is a hard clay surface, and hard work wins on this hardclay surface

Ha! I rue the day I told you about the worst nick-name ever bestowed on an athlete by a sports journo.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

the delgados said:
blackcat said:
the delgados said:

Ha! I rue the day I told you about the worst nick-name ever bestowed on an athlete by a sports journo.

i meant to say ten set tiebreaks, not then set tiebreaks.

i meant to say maple leaf missile and gonzo pawm. or porm. your choice

Yeah, this is going to CAS and appealed surely. Since WADA has come out and said Meldonium is A-OK and no ramifications, because once again, they don't even understand the science of something...just BAN it because it sounds like a good idea.

The precedence has already been set. For the ITF to come out with this is stupid.

Re:

luckyboy said:

I call BS on that. That's just in line with the recent 'purge' of sports in Russia.

Here's Sharapova's reaction

https://www.facebook.com/sharapova/posts/10153477001037680

"While the tribunal concluded correctly that I did not intentionally violate the anti-doping rules, I cannot accept an unfairly harsh two-year suspension. The tribunal, whose members were selected by the ITF, agreed that I did not do anything intentionally wrong, yet they seek to keep me from playing tennis for two years."

That's an interesting statement. Sure, we can say it's just another pro athlete trying to say 'i didn't dope, they are wrong...' or 'i didn't willingly dope, etc...' but this seems to a perfect case of conflict of interest. The tribunal concluded that she didn't 'intentionally' violate rules, the ITF went at it regardless. That to me signals something more than a simple taking PED's and being suspended or taking supplements that are later banned and now there is a timeline and transparency issue. The ITF is no different from the UCI, IAAF and other corrupt organizations. "Now" they take issue with doping? Hilarious.

Sharapova was unfortunate, that at the time of her AAF, it wasn't known that Meldonium was a long acting substance in the body - Once this was determined then athletes could claim they took Meldonium in 2015, as many have, and many had their AAF dropped - If only Sharapova had known and then she could have claimed to have taken Meldonium in 2015.

Meldonium is still a dog's breakfast - One rule I've learnt - Once a substance is easy to test for its likely the substance stays in your body for longer periods.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
975d8bdb082dd13c0805c0c3b7ed15de.png

Sounds a very interesting regiment to prevent heart problems :eek:

This wouldn't matter much I guess, but she did claim vehemently she did not take this for its PED effects.