• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 10 hardest mountains that ever featured in a GT

This morning I was thinking about it, and decided to ask here. I know there is not a univocal answer (how can we compare two completely different climbs like, for example, Galibier and Angliru?), but I just wanted to know what you all think. I expect each of your lists will be different from the others.
Here is mine (alphabetical order):

Angliru
Fauniera
Finestre
Galibier (+Telegraphe)
Hochtor (aka Grossglockner)
Mortirolo
Plan De Corones
Rombo
Stelvio
Zoncolan

8 of them must (imho) be in this list anyway. The only 2 climbs I could drop are Plan De Corones and Rombo.

What do you think?

PS: Yes, I realize that, being italian, I could be biased... but I really think there aren't many Tour/Vuelta climbs that could challenge these. :p

We made of the hardest mountains ever in professional racing.

It went like this:

1.- Paramo de Letras from Mariquita (Colombia)
2.- Mt Washington (USA) in a hillclimb
3.- Zoncolan from Ovaro
4.- Angliru
5.- Hochtor Pass / Grossglockner (Austria, Giro and Tour of Austria)
6.- Finestre
7.- Mortirolo
8.- Solden / Rettenbachtal (Austria, Tour of Germany)
9.- Galibier N
10.- Stelvio from Prato

The next 3 from a GT are:

Fauniera
Bernina / Forcola di Livigno
Rombo

http://plataformarecorridosciclistas.org/2010/04/19/los-puertos-mas-duros-en-carrera/

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
When did the Giro do Hochtor? Did they use it as poorly as Tour of Austria did this year?

In 1971.

grossglockner_85bee3f5.jpg

Viskovitz said:
3.- Zoncolan from Ovaro
4.- Angliru
6.- Finestre
7.- Mortirolo
9.- Galibier N
10.- Stelvio from Prato

Fauniera
Rombo
well, it's not far different from my list :)
edit: anyway my thread was more for "personal choices" rather than coefficients (which don't take into account important things like altitude, if I got it right)

Ferminal said:
Thanks, I think it could be better descending all the way and finish off the mountain (any towns close to the south to finish in?) rather than going to Franz Joseph.

Lienz is probably the most realistic option but it's almost Pau-like far. But since Tirol sponsors the Giro they probably wouldn't mind a finish at Grosskirchheim.

Jul 8, 2009
www.edwardgtalbot.com
Viskovitz said:
We made of the hardest mountains ever in professional racing.

It went like this:

3.- Zoncolan from Ovaro
4.- Angliru
6.- Finestre
7.- Mortirolo
9.- Galibier N
10.- Stelvio from Prato

Fauniera
Rombo

http://plataformarecorridosciclistas.org/2010/04/19/los-puertos-mas-duros-en-carrera/

I tend to think Zoncolon and Angliru are harder than Mt Washington, but Washington certainly is a tough climb.

Then there's Scanuppia - Malga Palazzo:

http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?qryMountainID=3597

Not a pro race climb of course :)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
egtalbot said:
I tend to think Zoncolon and Angliru are harder than Mt Washington, but Washington certainly is a tough climb.
Zoncolan is 10.1km @ 11.9%; Angliru 12.9km@9.8%. The Mt Washington hill climb is 11.9km@11.9%, with the top half being gravel.

Using the equation used by climbbybike.com, Finestre is the hardest climb tackled by any grand tour (followed by Stelvio, Crostis, Zoncolan and Mortirolo). I'm sure there are tougher climbs around - Alpe pointed out to me a while ago that the climb to the top of Mauna Kea is possibly the most difficult (that can be ridden with a road bike groupo).

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
gregrowlerson said:
Would anyone consider Col de Madeleinne from the 19km 8% side?
I found Col de la Madeleine from the south more difficult than Telegraphe/Galibier, and far more difficult than L'Alpe... Manghen was a close second (and no, I have not ridden Mortirolo, Stelvio, or Zoncolan).

Eshnar said:
This morning I was thinking about it, and decided to ask here. I know there is not a univocal answer (how can we compare two completely different climbs like, for example, Galibier and Angliru?), but I just wanted to know what you all think. I expect each of your lists will be different from the others.

It depends on the climbing speed, actually ;)

Here is mine (alphabetical order):

Angliru
Fauniera
Finestre
Galibier (+Telegraphe)
Hochtor (aka Grossglockner)
Mortirolo
Plan De Corones
Rombo
Stelvio
Zoncolan

I haven't been to all of these, but Zoncolan from Ovaro is really monstrous. I had 34/27 and stopped after 4 kms, cooked. There were crowds that day, of course, but the crowds were just an excuse :D Honestly, I was not able to turn pedals on such gradients. Next time I'll take my MTB. So, this makes it hors categorie.

Finestre from Susa and Stelvio (both sides) are long, but constant, and do not have any ridiculously steep parts. Not particularly difficult if you ask me.

For me, difficult are (alphabetical order):
Croix de Fer from Oisans
Gavia from Ponte di Legno
Hochtor from Heiligenblut
Izoard from Guillestre
Manghen from Borgo Valsugana
Pailheres from Ax les Thermes
Tourmalet from Sainte Marie de Campan
Ventoux from Bedoin and from Malaucene

I haven't done Mortirolo from Mazzo (only from Grosio, which overlaps partly, but the steepest part comes before the roads join), Alpe di Pampeago, Galibier+Telegraphe, Madeleine and Plan de Corones, but all of them seem nasty.

Edit: I forgot Tre Cime di Lavaredo. That one was... interesting. Also Giau (both sides).

greenedge said:
Has there even been a stage of a TDF with a descent of Alpe D Huez???

I dont know that you can descent Alpe without starting at the top of it / turning back into everyone.

Pandora said:
It depends on the climbing speed, actually ;)

Finestre from Susa and Stelvio (both sides) are long, but constant, and do not have any ridiculously steep parts. Not particularly difficult if you ask me.

Finnestre has several 10+ grades and rarely goes under 8. Consider that in the Tour they talk about how Plateau and Alpe have "horrid" 9%+ grades, and Finnestre goes up to 14% (briefly yes), and goes on for ever and ever.

+ theres some bad turns and its gravel.

The Hitch said:
I dont know that you can descent Alpe without starting at the top of it / turning back into everyone.

Finnestre has several 10+ grades and rarely goes under 8. Consider that in the Tour they talk about how Plateau and Alpe have "horrid" 9%+ grades, and Finnestre goes up to 14% (briefly yes), and goes on for ever and ever.

+ theres some bad turns and its gravel.

You can. There is another road.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I think Col du Parpaillon should be in the list.
Although the road may have been in a better state when it featured in the TdF than now?

TRENDING THREADS