• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2019 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

jon ezeitza said:
tobydawq said:
LaFlorecita said:
jon ezeitza said:
I have not seen any message that doubts Beñat Intxausti's score. I have been counted 0 points, but on the CQ website he puts 12, obtained in the Hammer Stavanger series from Norway.
Jon, I can't look at the spreadsheet right now but possibly you made a mistake in his name. You should contact skidmark via PM and he'll solve it.

Flo is right, you forgot Elorriaga. But skidmark has been made aware earlier today.
Sorry. I did not know that without writing the second surname there were 0 points. The truth is that very few cyclists appear on the CQ website with their second surname :surprised: .
Because many countries don't use a second surname, from the top of my head, only Spain and Portugal, Latin America and possibly some Denmark and Norway (not sure) ;)

tobydawq said:
jon ezeitza said:
tobydawq said:
LaFlorecita said:
jon ezeitza said:
I have not seen any message that doubts Beñat Intxausti's score. I have been counted 0 points, but on the CQ website he puts 12, obtained in the Hammer Stavanger series from Norway.
Jon, I can't look at the spreadsheet right now but possibly you made a mistake in his name. You should contact skidmark via PM and he'll solve it.

Flo is right, you forgot Elorriaga. But skidmark has been made aware earlier today.
Sorry. I did not know that without writing the second surname there were 0 points. The truth is that very few cyclists appear on the CQ website with their second surname :surprised: .

Actually, the CQ website is one of the few who still have the second surnames of all Spanish speaking riders...

The problem is that if it's not written exactly like on CQ, the Excel spreadsheet will not recognize the name, and that's why it says that he had 0 points.
I think we are many people who do not know this point that you have to write the name and the two last names exactly as they appear on the CQ website so as not to cause problems for the organizers. Perhaps, when the calls are made, it is convenient to underline this point.

jon ezeitza said:
tobydawq said:
jon ezeitza said:
tobydawq said:
jon ezeitza said:

Actually, the CQ website is one of the few who still have the second surnames of all Spanish speaking riders...

The problem is that if it's not written exactly like on CQ, the Excel spreadsheet will not recognize the name, and that's why it says that he had 0 points.
I think we are many people who do not know this point that you have to write the name and the two last names exactly as they appear on the CQ website so as not to cause problems for the organizers. Perhaps, when the calls are made, it is convenient to underline this point.[/quote]

The two surnames are mostly a Hispanic tradition. Spain, Portugal and Latin America for the most part are the ones who hold to this tradition. Basically those from that region in typical use, use their first (given) name and paternal last name, however it is for official purposes they use their maternal last name as well. This is something that many cultures do not do. There may be a few other countries as well that use both paternal and maternal last names.

Koronin said:
The two surnames are mostly a Hispanic tradition. Spain, Portugal and Latin America for the most part are the ones who hold to this tradition. Basically those from that region in typical use, use their first (given) name and paternal last name, however it is for official purposes they use their maternal last name as well. This is something that many cultures do not do. There may be a few other countries as well that use both paternal and maternal last names.
I believe Jon is from the Basque Country so I am sure he is aware of this ;)

LaFlorecita said:
Koronin said:
;)

jon ezeitza said:
I think we are many people who do not know this point that you have to write the name and the two last names exactly as they appear on the CQ website so as not to cause problems for the organizers. Perhaps, when the calls are made, it is convenient to underline this point.

It's all in the first post. Skidmark writes it for a reason.

skidmark said:
The layout you need to use is this:

VALVERDE BELMONTE Alejandro
SAGAN Peter
Etc.

LaFlorecita said:
Koronin said:
How do you know I'm Basque? Some recognize me by the accent when I speak. But writing (!) ...
Yes, I know the use of surnames very well. I have also been a teacher of immigrants and I am also aware of how it is used in Africa, Asia, etc. A single surname, that of the father.
What I did not know is that if you do not write the names and surnames as they are in CQ, it does not recognize the cyclist. Therefore, I think that Kazistuta's contribution is the one that hits the bull's-eye: when the calls are made, the need to write the cyclists "exactly as in CQ" is specified. (Google Translation)

jon ezeitza said:
LaFlorecita said:
Koronin said:
How do you know I'm Basque? Some recognize me by the accent when I speak. But writing (!) ...
Yes, I know the use of surnames very well. I have also been a teacher of immigrants and I am also aware of how it is used in Africa, Asia, etc. A single surname, that of the father.
What I did not know is that if you do not write the names and surnames as they are in CQ, it does not recognize the cyclist. Therefore, I think that Kazistuta's contribution is the one that hits the bull's-eye: when the calls are made, the need to write the cyclists "exactly as in CQ" is specified. (Google Translation)

I don't think the name Ezeitza is very common outside of the Basque Country :D

tobydawq said:
jon ezeitza said:
LaFlorecita said:
Koronin said:

It seems you know euskara :)

Chapeau Koronin for standing by your guy :) . Our loyalty shall be rewarded.

Beginner's error on my part, not going low enough in the rankings. A lot of free riders including Remco. Lesson learned :eek: .

I'm not surprised by some very popular picks, yet some "no brainers" may not be sure bets: just my opinion, but Cav' is done afaic, Kittel without a train may not bounce back in '19, Trentin I'm not sure, and Aru is a 400-point gamble. Having said that, you guys are no newbies like me, so you must know what you're doing.

By the way, I have a bunch of unique picks, like half of my lineup. Bol, Pichon, Polanc, King, Gougeard, Mosca, Il Grandissimo Tibopino, and The Cannibal Remy Mertz. It looks like one way or another, I'll be the goat...more likely the animal tho' ;) .

jon ezeitza said:
LaFlorecita said:
Koronin said:

Sorry, as unlike Tobydwaq, I didn't realize where you are from. I may have an issue with a rider I picked for the youth game, if he does get any points we don't know how the CQ page will write up his name as it may or may not use the accents.

jon ezeitza said:
tobydawq said:
jon ezeitza said:
LaFlorecita said:
Koronin said:

It seems you know euskara :)

Probably as well as Flo :)

Unless she knows it better than being able to identify long works littered with x's and z's as Basque.

Tonton said:
Chapeau Koronin for standing by your guy :) . Our loyalty shall be rewarded.

Beginner's error on my part, not going low enough in the rankings. A lot of free riders including Remco. Lesson learned :eek: .

I'm not surprised by some very popular picks, yet some "no brainers" may not be sure bets: just my opinion, but Cav' is done afaic, Kittel without a train may not bounce back in '19, Trentin I'm not sure, and Aru is a 400-point gamble. Having said that, you guys are no newbies like me, so you must know what you're doing.

By the way, I have a bunch of unique picks, like half of my lineup. Bol, Pichon, Polanc, King, Gougeard, Mosca, Il Grandissimo Tibopino, and The Cannibal Remy Mertz. It looks like one way or another, I'll be the goat...more likely the animal tho' ;) .

If our boys deliver what we are expecting/hoping for we should be fine with our teams.

You have one more unique pick than I do. I have 8. Looks like we're in the same boat, either really good or really bad. Hopefully they have good seasons. If they do we'll look like geniuses, if not hopefully our boys give us the seasons we expect and save our teams.

Here's my list of unique picks. Roche, Reijnen, Schultz, Sicard, Sutherland, J Stewart, Eisel, and of course Valverde. Eisel only has 10 points, figure he should at the very least break even with that. :D

Koronin said:
If you boys deliver what we are expecting/hoping for we should be fine with our teams.

You have one more unique pick than I do. I have 8. Looks like we're in the same boat, either really good or really bad. Hopefully they have good seasons. If they do we'll look like geniuses, if not hopefully our boys give us the seasons we expect and save our teams.

Here's my list of unique picks. Roche, Reijnen, Schultz, Sicard, Sutherland, J Stewart, Eisel, and of course Valverde. Eisel only has 10 points, figure he should at the very least break even with that. :D
Valverde didn't have a particularly great year (for Valverde's standards of course :eek: ), I can easily see him gain 300-400 points. For Pinot, the dude left a lot of points on the table by DNF at Il Giro, plus a long recovery. With his new confidence, I see my chouchou get to the 2000 point range.

For your unique picks, it will depend on the race calendar and the opportunities that come with it. Eisel and Roche can double their points, I had Reijnen on my list, Sicard was a big French hope that didn't really pan out but he has the goodies.

Good luck my friend :) .

My unique selections are SWIFT Connor, WAERENSKJOLD Soren, VAN WILDER Ilan, AASHEIM Ludvig, BALMER Alexandre and GHIRMAY Biniyam.
With the exception of SWIFT (24 years - 175 CQ points), the rest are 19 year olds, who have excelled in the junior category. With these, I can only win :D
I have an average team of 22 years left.

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Re:

jon ezeitza said:
My unique selections are SWIFT Connor, WAERENSKJOLD Soren, VAN WILDER Ilan, AASHEIM Ludvig, BALMER Alexandre and GHIRMAY Biniyam.
With the exception of SWIFT (24 years - 175 CQ points), the rest are 19 year olds, who have excelled in the junior category. With these, I can only win :D
I have an average team of 22 years left.

So you are the one with Ghirmay. I had it in my youth team but swapped him out when I had too many points left. He could score in Amissa Bongo. I also see Balmer scoring.

When I saw the first teams I became for the first time confident for my team: I did not overlook a rider and many riders I wasn't too sure about were picked by players who usually are successful. But then last year I also had many riders in common with the winner and did worse than expected. My third expensive rider being a unique pick doesn't bode well for the season. I hope Pedersen doesn't turn out as this years Theuns.

KITTEL Marcel 296 99
Even with a bad season again he should at least double his score.

ARU Fabio 400 96
See Kittel, although I'm less convinced.

BETTIOL Alberto 50 92
Back with EF he should at least quadruple this score.

EVENEPOEL Remco 0 89
Don't expect too much this year.

NIBALI Vincenzo 693 87
His best years are over but I expect 1000 points.

MEINTJES Louis 141 79
Boring pick but he should at least be good for 400 points.

GAUDU David 299 57
A bit risky but I believe he steps up his game this year.

BOUHANNI Nacer 441 51
He will at least double last years score.

O'CONNOR Ben 219 37
Did like what I saw last year and he should get his chances at DD.

BARBIER Rudy 90 36
Back at PCT-level he should be back to his old self.

HALVORSEN Kristoffer 162 35
The talent is there.

PADUN Mark 191 30
He could have made more points last year by simply finishing the races and he will make a step up this year.

ROWE Luke 70 28
It was a tie between him and Swift. He will get his chances (Stannard is done) and Sky will reward his loyalty.

KUMP Marko 54 27
Back to his old team. I expect at least 200 points from him.

LAMBRECHT Bjorg 337 23
Also a bit risky but he had a good first pro season and will get his chances.

MARECZKO Jakub 289 22
He can be fast and I expect CCC to ride some lower tier races in Easter Europe with not much competition.

DURBRIDGE Luke 162 21
Hope for second place in ITT nationals and he will get his chances in many classics.

HONORE Mikkel Frølich 76 19
Took him simply because of his performance in the WC last year and being a quickstepper.

VACEK Karel 0 14
Don't expect too much from him but Axeon should be a good team for him.

VAN DER HOORN Taco 396 10
Probably a bit risky to pick a quite high priced not really proven guy. But he is talented and I hope more classic race days will pay off.

NAVARDAUSKAS Ramunas 133 10
A step down should translate in an accumulation of points.

BOASSON HAGEN Edvald 686 9
I have faith he will almost double his score. Also Worlds should suit him.

DE KLEIJN Arvid 5 9
Don't know him but he had a successful 2017.

SENECHAL Florian 411 7
Terpstra left, Gilbert and Stybar are getting old, it's time to break through.

ARENSMAN Thymen 46 6
Quite young and second at Tour de l'Avenir means talent.

CIMOLAI Davide 88 5
Not very convinced but he can score in the countless Italian one day races and maybe also in MSR again.

JARAMILLO DIEZ Daniel Alexander 21 5
At one time I had 21 points left. He had some good seasons in North America, now he's my guy for lower tier Spanish races.

CORT NIELSEN Magnus 581 3
With Valgren leaving Astana, Cort should get many more opportunities. Don't know why he's only picked by two other players.

CAPIOT Amaury 191 3
An injury free season and Capiot has potential for 600 points.

BARBIER Pierre 92 3
He should get his chances in the french calendar.

JANSEN Amund Grøndahl 274 2
He seemed like a good pick, not so sure yet.

PEDERSEN Mads 606 1
There is Stuyven and there is Degenkolb but I was convinced Pedersen will have a similar year Stuyven had in 2018. Plus the Worlds course should suit him like all the Danes.

VERVLOESEM Xandres 0 1
The zero pointer I have no idea what to expect.

Tonton said:
Koronin said:
If you boys deliver what we are expecting/hoping for we should be fine with our teams.

Valverde didn't have a particularly great year (for Valverde's standards of course :eek: ), I can easily see him gain 300-400 points. For Pinot, the dude left a lot of points on the table by DNF at Il Giro, plus a long recovery. With his new confidence, I see my chouchou get to the 2000 point range.

For your unique picks, it will depend on the race calendar and the opportunities that come with it. Eisel and Roche can double their points, I had Reijnen on my list, Sicard was a big French hope that didn't really pan out but he has the goodies.

Good luck my friend :) .

The fact that Pinot left points in the table and Valverde didn't actually have a great year for him (still won the new World points title) and left points on the table says a lot for what they both actually did.
Yes, race calendars are going to be huge on what my unique picks can do. I do hope Pinot's new confidence will help him.

Good luck my friend. We at the very least have interesting teams to cheer for. :D

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
NO LOVE for these CQ Top 100 riders.

Their results will not matter this year.

Which are the most surprising non-takers and would you take any of these if you knew they would be your unique pick?

////////////////////////////////////////////////////

YATES Simon
VIVIANI Elia
ALAPHILIPPE Julian
THOMAS Geraint
ROGLIC Primoz
VAN AVERMAET Greg
WELLENS Tim
BARDET Romain
DEMARE Arnaud
MATTHEWS Michael
ACKERMANN Pascal
STUYVEN Jasper
COLBRELLI Sonny
IZAGIRRE INSAUSTI Ion
POZZOVIVO Domenico
MOLLEMA Bauke
TERPSTRA Niki
VALGREN ANDERSEN Michael
KRUIJSWIJK Steven
DENNIS Rohan
FUGLSANG Jakob
IMPEY Daryl
NAESEN Oliver
MOHORIC Matej
URAN Rigoberto
GILBERT Philippe
JUNGELS Bob
TEUNS Dylan
SANCHEZ GIL Luis Leon
DEGENKOLB John
MARTIN Daniel
IZAGIRRE INSAUSTI Gorka
BENNETT George
WOODS Michael
PRADES REVERTER Eduard
LATOUR Pierre
LAPORTE Christophe
KONRAD Patrick
LAMPAERT Yves
DUPONT Timothy
MAJKA Rafal
PASQUALON Andrea
SOLER GIMENEZ Marc
VAN POPPEL Danny
FORMOLO Davide
BUCHMANN Emanuel
CARUSO Damiano
HOFSTETTER Hugo
MOLARD Rudy
BILBAO LOPEZ DE ARMENTIA Pello
MARTIN Guillaume
HERMANS Ben
CANOLA Marco
KREUZIGER Roman
VISCONTI Giovanni
BELLETTI Manuel
SKUJINS Toms

I did consider Marc Soler. My reasoning for not taking him is that with the current make up of Movistar Team I just don't see where he has the opportunity to improve much on his points from last year. I do like him and believe he has potential for bigger numbers in the future. That is my reason for not including him this year.

Dan Martin and Michael Woods are the two I would say are the most surprising non picks and would consider with the possible upside as unique picks.

Jancouver said:
Which are the most surprising non-takers and would you take any of these if you knew they would be your unique pick?
I thought someone would take a punt on Matthews. Didn't have a great season, and the Worlds this year are made for him. His cost got a bit inflated by the Canadian double though.

I believe Schachmann has actually been picked a few times.

TRENDING THREADS