• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2019 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Akuryo said:
Glad Benoot got fit for Strade and even finished 5th. My most expensive pick and a unique one this year. I still think he has a lot more potential than he already showed last year.

I think he has potential too. I wouldnt be surprised if he could score 1500 points. Which would roughly mean 600 points profit for you. He would need to deliver and win or podium at least 1-2 big one-day races, hopefully top 10 others like SB, and place in a couple of stage-races. That might be easier said than done though.

My points this week:

Mattia Cattaneo 84
Stefan Küng 20
Aliaksandr Riabushenko 10
Robert Stannard 5
Alberto Bettiol 5
Loic Vliegen 5
Clement Venturini 5

Excellent result for Cattaneo in Larciano, I didn't expect him to do so well. Hopefully he is now back on track to get some more good results.
In Paris-Nice, Zakarin and my rare pick Barguil made it to the finish in the first group. They are in a good position now to finish top-15 or even top-10.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
In Paris-Nice, Zakarin and my rare pick Barguil made it to the finish in the first group. They are in a good position now to finish top-15 or even top-10.
Jinxed it! Wawa crashed out with a concussion :( what a shame as he was just coming into form, hope he recovers quickly :( at least Zaka is still in the race for a top-10. And Cortina got a brilliant 2nd place today. :)

The weekend was Ok with Van Aert, Oomen and Schachmann plus a few 5 pointers. Paris Nice is looking rubbish though. Chaves seems to be struggling again. I hope the lad recovers his form soon ... for him, not me. Kittel's decision to race Paris Nice looks a waste of time too.... but then everyone is in that boat with him.

Great: 10 guys in Paris-Nice and this is how the day ended:
Barguil- DNF crashed out
Cavendish - DNF
Meintjes - DNF
Aru - 147
Bakelands - 140
McLay - 132
Chaves - 95
Haller 60
Kittel 59
and only one performing: Trentin 4th.
I actually beleived I could do well in Paris-Nice this year... :mad:

Re:

vladimir said:
Barguil- DNF crashed out
Cavendish - DNF
Meintjes - DNF
Aru - 147
Bakelands - 140
McLay - 132
Chaves - 95
Haller 60
Kittel 59

That's a bummer! But it's not like I'm too glad with my riders either. Aru, Spilak, Bakelants and Cosnefroy are riding very poorly, Chaves has not been as bad as I had feared but today he definitively lost all hopes for a good GC position. Kittel and Ewan looked good with 40 kilometres to go today but ended up nowhere (Ewan did get second yesterday, though). And then I also have Trentin who has been good but not great in the two sprints. Finally, I have the so far best rider in the race, but Luke Rowe does not get points for marshalling young Egan and being a huge boss. Hopefully, he will get good points in the cobbled classics with this shape (it seems he has put his illness behind him).

Re:

vladimir said:
Barguil- DNF crashed out
Cavendish - DNF
Meintjes - DNF
Aru - 147
Bakelands - 140
McLay - 132
Chaves - 95
Haller 60
Kittel 59
It's been a chaotic start to the race for sure. Seems Barguil will be out for quite a while unfortunately :(

Re:

vladimir said:
Barguil- DNF crashed out
Cavendish - DNF
Meintjes - DNF
Aru - 147
Bakelands - 140
McLay - 132
Chaves - 95
Haller 60
Kittel 59
Your pain is felt. It seems clear that Bakelants was a wasted pick, same with Cav. I'm still hoping Louis and Fabio are just pacing themselves for the grand tours, but i'm not hopeful. Like you, I'll just watch Trentin get me all my points and hope Bernal can take out that really tough Tour D'Italia field. That should be a fun watch.

Update #9: All Eyeballs on one team this week

With this week being a bit of a lull (relatively speaking; of course we got Strade Bianche, Le Samyn, a couple of smaller one-days and the start of Paris-Nice, so we're doing fine), we didn't see any stratospheric scores, as less than half the field (43 teams) topped 100 points. But there were a few notable scores stringing together some less popular picks.

This Week's High Scorers

Rank Team Points this week
1 Eyeballs Out 351
2 armchairclimber 273
3 greenedge 268
4 ThePirate81 256
5 AlyKaptan 255

This week sees it all come together for Eyeballs Out, scoring a fantastic 351 points. This is largely due to a long-overdue pro win for the talented Florian Senechal (80 points, 7 teams), and a big win confirming last year wasn't a fluke for Max Schachmann (145 points, 6 teams). Add 36 each for Montaguti and Boom and some dribs and drabs elsewhere, and it's a runaway win. armchairclimber likely won't be disappointed with second given that their team won a couple of weeks ago, and this is another fine performance, Schachmann and Van Aert being the main drivers there. greenedge finishes just behind in third, rounding out the podium.

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team Up/down
1 Eyeballs Out (+40)
2 greenedge (+31)
3 armchairclimber (+22)
4 Yellow Knight (+21)
5 Sestriere (+20)

We are still at the point in the season where a 350 point week can jump you up over a third of the table, and Eyeballs Out takes full advantage to do the double this week, jumping 40 places. 2nd and 3rd are switched on this ranking from the last, but both greenedge and armchairclimber have some good jumps to go with their good scores.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 just_some_guy 95
1 MADRAZO 95
3 armchairclimber 80
4 Popchu 73
4 Googolplex 73
4 Nicosix 73

armchairclimber parlays this strong week on top of the 45 points for winning a couple of weeks ago into a spot on the overall podium of this competition. The other spots in the top 5 remain tied.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (-) Blues in the bottle 1934
2 (+1) MADRAZO 1915
3 (-1) Salvarani 1905
4 (+1) just_some_guy 1894
5 (-1) Amis_Velo 1871
6 (-) Nicosix 1701
7 (+3) shalgo 1697
8 (+3) TheArt 1689
9 (-) Squire 1685
10 (-2) yoyokt 1682

This week wasn't enough to flip the overall standings, as Blues in the bottle holds onto a slim lead after ascending last week. MADRAZO moves back closer to #1, but it's quite close in the top 5. Lower down, TheArt returns to the top 10, while Londonpat drops out. This week, of course, we have the two big opening-season overlapping WT stage races. With a ton of riders in this game in each of those, there should be some significant scoring going on.

spreadsheet at dropbox

Nice to see I had a pretty successful week thanks to Cattaneo. Up 12 places to 41st and 13th on the weekly ranking. Thanks for the update!

My riders for Tirreno:
Clement Venturini
Vincenzo Nibali
Nacer Bouhanni
Alberto Bettiol
Stefan Küng
Nicola Conci
Fabio Felline
Fernando Gaviria

Have to hope for stage points as it looks I won't get many from GC.

I'm surprised I went up a place (15 to 14). I didn't think it was a particularly good week. Another second place for Ewan today was alright, but Trentin didn't place which was annoying. Neither did Kittel but that has lesser impact in this game due to his popularity.

For Tirreno, I have Bauhaus, Bettiol, Küng, Søren Kragh and Felline.

Not too good. I don't expect Kragh to make Algarve-like miracles, although that could be nice. Hopefully, Bauhaus will get his season started at last, and Küng could maybe win the TT. I am intrigued to see Bettiol who should have a free role.

Edit: I also have Nibali. Why do I always forget that I have him?

Thanks for the update. I am pleasantly surprised that my team moved up, but I guess there just weren't that many points claimed by picked riders this week. It is certainly nice to see my two most expensive (and relatively unpopular) riders, Bernal and Ewan, riding well in Paris-Nice. I'll see next week if this translates into GC points for Bernal.

Thanks SkidMark

A slow and steady drop for me. We need to stop this trend. But how do you recover from picking Porte?
For Tirreno:
BAUHAUS Phil
BETTIOL Alberto
DE PLUS Laurens
FELLINE Fabio
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
NIBALI Vincenzo

Nor great. Maybe a sprint win (or two if I'm really lucky). I've learned not to count on any Grand Tour riders I pick, outside of a grand tour. But give them hell Nibali. Maybe Bettiol does something in GC? And DePlus in a supporting role. Am I fooling myself? Yes. So I guess I'm relying on Bernal to beat Kwiat in Nice.

Thanks Skidmark for the update. I'm a little surprised to have done so well ... though I won't get too giddy as this week looks like it will be very disappointing. So far I have benefited from picking a fair few unpopular riders ... it'll be interesting to see how they hold up once we really get into the meat of the season.

TRENDING THREADS