• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2019 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 57 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Happy with my week although Paris-Tours didn't bring me any point.
I don't know what to expect for Guanxi, since the startlist is provisional. Padun and Kamna could get some GC points but hard to gauge their shape.

Overall I'm reasonaly confident I'll finish in the top10, a result that would make me happy.
Two of my major coin flips at the beginning of the year were Trentin vs WVA and Gaudu vs McNulty. I picked the wrong rider in both cases, but it's a good lesson for the future. If you really want two riders and can't decide which one to sack, perhaps you should find a way to include both.

Update #40: karaev closes the gap, Green Jersey race tightens up

The final monument is done, the European season is effectively done, all we have left is the tacked-on WT stage race in China, the Japan Cup, and a few minor wind-down races. The season is done for the vast majority of participants in the game, but of course the game is not over. So how will the endgame shape up?

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1karaev747
2Hakkie2707
3DJW692
4shalgo651
5oliveira642

A big week for karaev, scoring 747 points! The big scorer, as 25 other owners likely know, is Bernal, who adds 333 points to an already sterling season. But karaev also had big weeks from Van Asbroeck (128 points, 19 teams), Gaudu (108, 57 teams) and another decent week from unique pick Vendrame (62 points). Hakkie2 gets second on the week with the same big 3 as karaev, but smaller contributions from the rest of the roster. DJW slots into third with Bernal and Gaudu, but also points from rare picks Sosa (122, 3 teams) and Enric Mas (68, 5 teams).

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1oliveira(+17)
2zlev11(+12)
3DJW(+10)
4Josedin(+9)
4Jon_Ezeitza(+9)

oliveira wins this competition this week, with a huge (for the end of the season) 17-spot climb up the standings. Their team had the same 'big 3' as the top 2 in the previous ranking; they were just placed in the standings such that a 17-point jump was possible (3 of the top 5 in the previous ranking were already in the top 10 overall, hence not far to move). zlev11 moves up a not-too-shabby 12 spots despite finishing 14th in the Top Scorers ranking, and DJW jumps double digit places as well.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1tobydawq231
2armchairclimber225
3ruvu75218
4TheArt212
5Popchu208
6Leadbelly203
7karaev201
8skidmark197
9ansimi194
10yoyokt190
11MADRAZO189
12Joelsim187
13fauniera186

An unprecedented 13 teams are within a weekly win (45 points) of the top spot in this competition as it heads into it's final big week! tobydawq still sits atop the standings, but leadbelly (20 points this week), karaev (45 for the win), Joelsim (14) and fauniera (8) all scored some this week to pull within striking distance. This one is coming down to the wire!

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)fauniera14464
2(+1)karaev14223
3(+3)Hakkie214027
4(-2)Tigerion13981
5(+3)SafeBet13768
6(+4)shalgo13635
7(-2)ruvu7513619
8(-4)tobydawq13519
9(-2)skidmark13490
10(+1)Hugo Koblet13438

Quite the shakeup in the overall standings for this late in the season - apart from leader fauniera, every team in the top 10 moved around somewhat. You may note that #1 and #2 on the week are now #2 and #3 overall, with Tigerion falling out of the podium places. It is looking very probable that fauniera will become a two-time winner of this competition, as their lead is 241 points; even with an incredible week, karaev only closed by 214 this week. Unless something wild happens in Guangxi and Japan, it seems likely that the top spot is going to stay the same. Third and fourth are only 36 points apart, so the final podium spot is up for grabs. Below that, there's a bit of stratification, although 6th-10th are only separated by less than 200 points. A very competitive top 10, with several former winners and high placers, as well as a good number of teams who have participated in many editions. Game founder Hugo Koblet moves into the top 10 (and has a 70 point lead on 11th), while another previous high finisher - TheArt -drops out. After next week it's not technically over, but for all intents and purposes the final standings will be set. I hope everyone has had a fun year, let's see how the rest of it goes!

spreadsheet at dropbox

ACT 3: The podium battle

The forces of Hakkie and Tigerion take the field for the final battle. Most of their troops are exhausted and have no strength left to challenge so it will come down to their final remaining champions. A number of them are evenly matched so will have no bearing on the outcome so the 2 commanders address the remaining warriors.

For Tigerion we have
TRENTIN Matteo
AFFINI Edoardo
ZAKARIN Ilnur
WANG Mei Yin

For Hakkie we have
CAVAGNA Rémi
DE PLUS Laurens
HALVORSEN Kristoffer
KÄMNA Lennard
VAKOC Petr

It's a 4 v 5 slugfest upon the battlefield that will forever be know as Tour of Guangxi

Last edited:
Reactions: SafeBet
Never look at what might have been.
My originally submitted team had Turgis in it but had to do a last minute switch because it was over budget due to a mistake I made on the spreadsheet.
Out of curiosity I checked his results and he is currently at over 500 points profit. So many other riders I could have switched out instead of him

Speaking of what might have been...
Having finalised my team relatively quickly this year, I had originally settled for Matteo Trentin as my most expensive pick at 581. I really liked the look of my rather equally priced team. But then a few days ago I realised that Richie Porte could quite realistically have 500 points before the end of February and that it would be stupid not to have him. So I begrudgingly changed Trentin and Keukeleire (who I wasn't crazy about anyway) for Porte.
And in early February:
I'll be livid if he scores less than Trentin+Keukeleire, who I took out to fit Porte in. The only thing worse than cheering for a rider I don't like, is cheering for a rider I don't like who does poorly for my team.

So, 711 points from Porte & Brøchner vs 1915 and still counting from Trentin & Keukeleire. The difference between 56th place, where I'm currently at, and 19th place.

Fair to say it's not been a particularly enjoyable CQ season for me. Luckily next year looks like a lot of fun.

After next week it's not technically over, but for all intents and purposes the final standings will be set. I hope everyone has had a fun year, let's see how the rest of it goes!

Are you sure about that? Guangxi doesn't finish before Tuesday, so there will be two more significant updates.

Anyway, now I have to settle for a top 10 but luckily my line-up in Guangxi looks good enough to defend my lead in the Green Jersey Classification. Which seems a bit like a pretty coincidental consolation prize, but now that it's within my grasp, I'll take it :)

Four of my riders (or, possibly five or six) will end their careers after this year. Fournier, De Clercq, Kittel and Spilak (and I assume also König and Intxausti, though, apparently some teams want to keep giving them money for a return of nothing).

That seems like quite a big proportion.

80th. not great. my main problem was picking Greipel and Henao. both rare picks and both were awful. there are so many riders I could have picked instead of those 2 and I would be so much higher. some of my other rare picks were pretty good - Coquard, Affini, Brandle, Rivera, Vliegen, Dunbar. it is just everything was negated by having Greipel and Henao...

I haven't been that interested in a Chinese race since the Olympic road race 2008.

Edit: Actually i must have been quite interested in the 2017 edition of the Tour of Guangxi as well, even if i hardly remember it.

Stage 1 went quite well for me as i lost only 4 points to karaev. And the best part is that Kämna lost 19 seconds already.

Last edited:
I haven't been that interested in a Chinese race since the Olympic road race 2008.

Edit: Actually i must have been quite interested in the 2017 edition of the Tour of Guangxi as well, even if i hardly remember it.

Stage 1 went quite well for me as i lost only 4 points to karaev. And the best part is that Kämna lost 19 seconds already.

I don't know what I ever did to offend the CQ gods the last couple of weeks. Now even Gaviria is hurting me :(

At least I had number 3-5 on the stage and Trentin could get a GC result.

Yeah, I echo everyone who says that it's been great following the main competitor's battle in this thread. Keep it up. Very close ending to the season. I myself am 10th now - that's a nice surprise for me. And Max Kanter decided to check in as well, scoring his first 2 points of the season - he's now at that elusive 1% return barrier. Does anyone know what has been up with him this year?

• Haha
Reactions: tobydawq
Yeah, I echo everyone who says that it's been great following the main competitor's battle in this thread. Keep it up. Very close ending to the season. I myself am 10th now - that's a nice surprise for me. And Max Kanter decided to check in as well, scoring his first 2 points of the season - he's now at that elusive 1% return barrier. Does anyone know what has been up with him this year?
Apparently he had muscular problems earlier in the season because of his seating position on the bike.

https://www.radsport-news.com/sport/sportnews_114897.htm (German source)

ACT 3: The podium battle

The forces of Hakkie and Tigerion take the field for the final battle. Most of their troops are exhausted and have no strength left to challenge so it will come down to their final remaining champions. A number of them are evenly matched so will have no bearing on the outcome so the 2 commanders address the remaining warriors.

For Tigerion we have
TRENTIN Matteo
AFFINI Edoardo
ZAKARIN Ilnur
WANG Mei Yin

For Hakkie we have
CAVAGNA Rémi
DE PLUS Laurens
HALVORSEN Kristoffer
KÄMNA Lennard
VAKOC Petr

It's a 4 v 5 slugfest upon the battlefield that will forever be know as Tour of Guangxi

I also have Kuss and Eg in the Japan Cup
:p

(and if I win Euromillions this weekend, I'll invest some of the money in the Bardiani team so they participate in Tour of Fuzhou with Albanese.)

• Haha
Reactions: tobydawq
I also have Kuss and Eg in the Japan Cup
:p

(and if I win Euromillions this weekend, I'll invest some of the money in the Bardiani team so they participate in Tour of Fuzhou with Albanese.)
I need to depend upon Ed Theuns to cover them for me

I know it is almost ridiculous.
Watching it and thinking this is so important, I am very invested, Oh that is how you say the name of this race

TRENDING THREADS