• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2021 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This might be my best week of the year so far... Remco of course headlines it, but also one of my most frustrating busts of the year in Kristoff is picking up steam with 142 points this week, and building strength in advance of a Worlds course that should be good for him and the postponed Paris-Roubaix... good for one of my rarest riders.

Mid-level-popularity guys like Viviani and Bardet got a decent amount of points too, and Politt is quite popular but got a ton of points. I didn't get anything from Bretagne Classic (although at least Cosnefroy took first place points away from the relatively popular Alaphilippe), and my Vuelta GC is a horrorshow aside from Bernal. But I'll celebrate what I can this week.

Update #31: repre has a grand week

I almost always forget how stacked the late summer calendar can be. This week was 'just' the second of three weeks of the Vuelta and so only offered stage points, but it was supplemented by a 1.1 and 1.PS race in Belgium, a 2.1 and 1.WT2 race in France, a 2.PS race in Germany, and even a few .2 races. As such, we have a weekly winner clearing a grand for the week!

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1repre1033
2vladimir895
3PremierAndrew886
4armchairclimber883
5merengues881

This week's winner must be feeling a bit of a repre-ve after an up and down season for their team, and this week they are certainly repre-senting in the standings! (sorry, those puns are repre-hensible, no more I swear!) repre is one of the four teams who are grateful this week that they picked Benoit Cosnefroy, who nabbed 220 points for an impressive win in the Bretagne Classic. Also notable for their team is the decidedly more popular Nils Politt (65 teams, 183 points) and the slightly more popular Alexander Kristoff (13 teams, 142 points) hitting triple digits, and help from Hirschi, Bardet, Trentin and HIrschi clearing 50. Add it all up and it's over 1000. vladimir doesn't clear that bar, but should be happy with second and 895 points, with a similar top end (replacing Cosnefroy's 220 points with Evenepoel's 210, and a little less support lower down). PremierAndrew gets the final podium spot close behind at 886 thanks to Evenepoel, Politt and 140 from Alaphilippe at the top end.

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1repre(+9)
2Hugo Koblet(+7)
2merengues(+7)
2vladimir(+7)
2PremierAndrew(+7)

repre doubles up here, with a logjam at second, with the same two podium finishers from the other ranking being joined by game founder Hugo Koblet and merengues.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1Otoxiep87251
2Bicycle_Boy213
3Hugo Koblet212.67
4Object211
5Jon_Ezeitza197

The top 5 order stays the same, and none of the top 3 score this week, but Object gets 9 points and Jon Ezeitza gets 14 points to narrow the gap slightly to the upper echelons. Otoxiep87 maintains a pretty healthy lead.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)15181
2(-)Otoxiep8713968
3(-)Squire13854
4(-)Nakazar13494
5(+1)Total Package13492
6(-1)Galpedal13377
7(-)JPettersen13327
8(-)Northerner13043
9(+2)laarsland12984
10(+6)Jon_Ezeitza12973

Don't let the lack of movement fool you. Object increases their team's lead by 252 points over Otoxiep87 this week, and now leads by a commanding 1200+ points. With that kind of lead and owning an on-fire Evenepoel, at this point it is hard to see that changing before the end of the year. Squire holds steady in the third spot on the podium, while further down, laarsland and Jon Ezeitza move into the top 10 at the expense of MADRAZO and del1962.

This week, we get Vuelta GC points as well as the final stages, and of course the counterprogramming of the WT Benelux Tour, as we move into the final phase of the season.

spreadsheet at dropbox

So close, López :(

That must be one of the bizarrest and most disheartening ways to lose a few hundred points in the space of an hour :(

My Week has been gradual attrition. First Ciccone crashing out, ending what little interest I had in the Vuelta/

Then Evenepoel and Sagan doing the same on the first day of the Benelux, with Moscon disappearing completely, followed by Laporte today. Now just waiting for Colbrelli and Wellens to crash into each other tomorrow

That must be one of the bizarrest and most disheartening ways to lose a few hundred points in the space of an hour :(

My Week has been gradual attrition. First Ciccone crashing out, ending what little interest I had in the Vuelta/

Then Evenepoel and Sagan doing the same on the first day of the Benelux, with Moscon disappearing completely, followed by Laporte today. Now just waiting for Colbrelli and Wellens to crash into each other tomorrow

Yeah, I had hoped for a top 5 spot, but now I have to be content if I manage top 10.

But okay, there is more in life than this game and I just hope that he will be able to bounce back next year.

But you got Colbrelli, that's a good thing!

Reactions: postmanhat
I guess López crashing out is good for me, since I don't have him. :( Now Kuss needs to avoid crashing tomorrow and his 7th place should be secure. That's pretty much it for me in terms of Vuelta GC, since everyone and their mother has Bernal and Kruijswijk.
Jakobsen was good in this race, and gets solidly into the black numbers. With the green in addition he's even an okay pick in the end, I'd say, when I mostly picked him for sentimental reasons.
Nothing in it for me at a race like the Benelux Tour... okay maybe a few minor points for Teunissen and even Hirschi, but that's it.

Now I'm hoping for points in the Tour of Britain with ... uhm... Gijs Leemreize. I'm sure van Aert will work for that!

Object also has Jack Haig, this looks like a landslide victory now.

As for me, down 13 spots to 31st over the course of 3 weeks, but this past week was excellent with just over 1300 points by my math. Don't think a top-20 finish is going to happen anymore though, too many Evenepoel teams around.

Losing the Lopez points will hurt but still hoping for a jump up the standing this week hopefully
Looks like only 1 person has Mas and none Rog and I have 3rd, 4th and 6th.
So close to having 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th.

Hoping it's enough to get me back into top 20

Update #32: Sonny days are here as Vuelta ends and the endgame starts

With the end of the third grand tour of the year, we know there are only a few big races left in the season (Worlds, Lombardia, and just to remind us that we aren't back to a familiar schedule yet, Paris-Roubaix), and so the CQ game is starting to wrap up. Object's lead was large enough last week that it looked unassailable, but things should be even more clear now with Vuelta GC points off the table.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Nevs1711
2Total Package1609
3Northerner1543
4Tigerion1426
5Josedin1408

Nevs had an absolute monster of a week, with tons of GC points from the Vuelta and a decent supplement from the Benelux Tour. Headlining for Nevs is 306 points from Adam Yates (13 teams) for his solid Vuelta punctuated by the huge move on the last road stage leaping him up a few spots. Gino Mader keeps paying off for the six teams that own him, and Nevs is one of them, nabbing his 250 points. On top of that, Nevs got help from the ubiquitous Bernal (246 points), 212 from Sepp Kuss (12 teams), and some Benelux points from Tim Wellens (119, 18 teams) and Jasper Stuyven (104, 4 teams).

Total Package has a great week as well to nab second place, with Yates/Bernal/Mader as well, but the headliner is the winner of the Benelux Tour, Sonny Colbrelli, with 331 points for the 18 teams that have him. 115 points from the very popular-but-mostly-invisible Kruijswijk. Northerner nails down the final podium spot, clearing 1500 points with Colbrelli/Yates/Bernal/Wellens highlighting.

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1Nevs(+19)
2Josedin(+12)
3Koronin(+11)
3Tigerion(+11)
5ray10(+10)

Nevs is a big winner here again, jumping about the most amount of spots you'll see for this late in the season. Josedin gets a podium spot this time, jumping 12 spots (led by 352 points as one of 4 teams with Jack Haig, and 140 from unique pick Grosschartner), and Koronin (getting a massive 437 points from unique pick Enric Mas) and Tigerion share third.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1Otoxiep87251
2Object216
3Bicycle_Boy213
4Hugo Koblet212.67
5Jon_Ezeitza199

Despite the big week there's not much movement at the top, with Object scoring 5 points on the week (tied for 13th) and Jon Ezeitza scoring 2 for 15th place, both pulling slightly closer to the top. But Otoxiep87 still has a very comfortable 35 point lead, meaning Object would have to get at least 2nd place on a weekly ranking to catch up, and only places 2-4 are within a weekly win's worth of points (45) of the lead.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)16364
2(+3)Total Package15101
3(-)Squire14989
4(-)Nakazar14780
5(-3)Otoxiep8714724
6(+2)Northerner14586
7(-)JPettersen14473
8(+1)laarsland14235
9(+5)Boris9814182
10(-)Jon_Ezeitza14150

Things are pretty solidified at the top, with Object scoring a solid 1183 points on the week to keep a virtually unassailable 1200 point lead. Total Package is the big winner, getting over 1600 points for 2nd on the week and leaping up to 2nd overall. Meanwhile, Otoxiep87 has the lowest weekly score of the top 10, scoring 756 on the week and falling out of the 2nd place their team has occupied for quite some time. Boris98 moves back into the top 10 at the expense of Galpedal.

This week, the Tour of Britain is going on, while the European championships will get some attention as well. From a CQ perspective, the 100 points one gets for winning the Euros are actually less than the winner of the 1.PS GP Fourmies that is also happening this weekend, and only 20 points more than the 1.1 Antwerp Port Classic.

spreadsheet at dropbox

So I looked at Object's team: Who's on this super-team who isn't on mine?

Hm, he has Vansevenant - have him too. Pidcock, Kruijswijk, Latour? Check. Vingegaard, Politt? Check. In the upper regions: Bernal, of course, and Thomas, yes.
He even has Mollema and Teunissen like me.
Okay, he has Evenepoel. Hm, but that's basically the same so far as my Schachmann pick, same price region, about the same return, Schachmann even in black numbers. So does he just have more stable riders? Could be. But he also has a few riders who haven't brought in their cost yet (Gaviria and Sivakov among them like on my team).
Okay, he has Moscon, Laporte and Vanmarcke - and I don't, in that region I have Powless, Lucas Hamilton and Arensman, who aren't bad picks either, but clearly not as effective. He also has Wellens - price and return not unsimilar to Kuss. But then he also has Haig instead of Jakobsen, again a bit better.
But the real difference between a far far away leader's team and a now 26th placed team?
Sagan - instead of Hirschi.
And Cavendish.
Guys, the real difference, the must have-rider of this season, is Mark Cavendish. 15 points. Return 838 points. I didn't believe in him anymore. I'm truely sorry.

;)

Jan 10, 2021
Visit site
Yes, back in the top 10 again thanks to my first top 15 of the week since the spring classics. Let's hope for a good end of the season, so I can defend my place on the leaderboard.

So I looked at Object's team: Who's on this super-team who isn't on mine?

Hm, he has Vansevenant - have him too. Pidcock, Kruijswijk, Latour? Check. Vingegaard, Politt? Check. In the upper regions: Bernal, of course, and Thomas, yes.
He even has Mollema and Teunissen like me.
Okay, he has Evenepoel. Hm, but that's basically the same so far as my Schachmann pick, same price region, about the same return, Schachmann even in black numbers. So does he just have more stable riders? Could be. But he also has a few riders who haven't brought in their cost yet (Gaviria and Sivakov among them like on my team).
Okay, he has Moscon, Laporte and Vanmarcke - and I don't, in that region I have Powless, Lucas Hamilton and Arensman, who aren't bad picks either, but clearly not as effective. He also has Wellens - price and return not unsimilar to Kuss. But then he also has Haig instead of Jakobsen, again a bit better.
But the real difference between a far far away leader's team and a now 26th placed team?
Sagan - instead of Hirschi.
And Cavendish.
Guys, the real difference, the must have-rider of this season, is Mark Cavendish. 15 points. Return 838 points. I didn't believe in him anymore. I'm truely sorry.

;)

My take on my team and the strategy I used was to select a group of riders that I expected to be very popular and then add a few riders that I expected not to be so popular that I hoped would perform very well. With this strategy I would increase returns when others would or at least not loose too much ground and then on occasion standout of the crowd.

I guess I was lucky with the not so popular riders that I picked where some of them really outperformed my expectations:

Jack Haig picked 4 times with 221% return
Jonas Vingegaard picked 9 times with 1.120% return
Mark Cavendish picked 19 times with 5.587% return
Mauri Vansevenat picked 28 time with 2.840% return

Reactions: BlueRoads

TRENDING THREADS