• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2023 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
TDU:
Alex Baudin
Gianni Moscon
Filippo Baroncini
Antonio Tiberi
Martin Svrcek
Luke Plapp
Leo Hayter
Finn Fisher-Black
Mikkel Honoré
Maximilian Schachmann
Corbin Strong

That’s quite a few people who could potentially do a GC and there are stage points in this team as well. No idea what to expect though, not only is it the first race of the season, but the only rider in this lineup who has ever started this race is Honoré and he didn’t finish. My highest hopes are obviously for Plapp, who has a real shot at taking the overall.
Ouch. This was already going poorly for a race with a third of my team there, today it went from bad to worse with Moscon's spring preparation already over by the looks, Strong crashing out of the GC, and only Tiberi and a near-irrelevant Schachmann left in a decent position for the GC. In addition, it looks like I have only eight people racing between Spain, Argentina and Gabon from Sunday onwards, so this is definitely not the January I would have liked. At least the big points look like going to rare riders in this race...

Reactions: postmanhat
Ouch. This was already going poorly for a race with a third of my team there, today it went from bad to worse with Moscon's spring preparation already over by the looks, Strong crashing out of the GC, and only Tiberi and a near-irrelevant Schachmann left in a decent position for the GC. In addition, it looks like I have only eight people racing between Spain, Argentina and Gabon from Sunday onwards, so this is definitely not the January I would have liked. At least the big points look like going to rare riders in this race...

At least you have riders riding... mine are all scheduled for the Vuelta and seem to have nothing else :tearsofjoy:

Well, yeah...think most of us are disappointed by the TDU.
Maybe some points for Schachmann in the overall.
And Honore appears to have gathered KOM points and is in second place there.
That's it for me in the TDU. Unless we are in for some big surprise on Mount Lofty, but I doubt it.

Upcoming
San Juan: Bernal, Narvaez, Syritsa
Bongo: None

bminchow has both Yates and Vine, so it is looking very good for this team to extend its lead after the TDU is done.

My team like many others, a bit disappointed with the current standings in TDU but maybe Mount Lofty could shift some things around in the final stage.

Last edited:
My riders for upcoming races:

Well... err... I have a few for the long-lists of the "Trofeo races", but not knowing which races specifically they'll race...

UIJTDEBROEKS Cian
WANDAHL Frederik
PICCOLO Andrea
HERREGODTS Rune
And Van Wilder

That's it! None for any of the other races... I don't think this is gonna be a great week for me...

Last edited:
Will have to wait and see this weekend if there could be some points to be salvaged in the TDU, for my team, but there are new races coming up and that always feels good when a race has not turned out to be the best. It is always another one right around the corner.

San Juan
BERNAL Egan
BRENNER Marco
SIMMONS Quinn

Decent chance for some points I hope.

Mallorca races
UIJTDEBROEKS Cian
VAN WILDER Ilan
ALAPHILIPPE Julian
BAGIOLI Andrea
ASGREEN Kasper
PICCOLO Andrea
GARCÍA CORTINA Iván
MARIT Arne
DEKKER David

I am feeling optimistic with this line-up and hope for a good outcome.

Last edited:
While Hirschi goes rogue and takes the win at TDU, here's where a few others are:

Valencia ... Javier Serrano
San Juan ... Sam Bennett, Peter Sagan, Egan Bernal, Marco Brenner, Matthias Vacek
Majorca .... Alaphilippe, Kammna, Serrano, Uitdebroeks, Piccolo, Padun, Van Wilder, Dekker.

Last edited:
Somewhat comforting to see so many others are having a mediocre TDU. Would have been nice to have a more exciting start to the season. Ewan has been a definite plus side so far, and hopefully this will give him some confidence after the last two seasons. Page looks like he's hit the ground running, as did Strong until today's crash.

Erhm... @skidmark... I have a question.

If I forget to list a rider for a race, do I still get points for said rider, if he scores points? Coz sometimes I, don't always notice everything. :grimacing:

Yeah people just list their riders in the thread if they want to, like for fun and following along on the thread. The game scores get compiled regardless - there are many participants who don't post in the thread at all! Of course it's welcome to post and generally makes things more fun if we have active discussion, but it has no bearing on the game itself. The input part of the game was before the start, there's no active management of teams.

I definitely sometimes don't see/list riders on my team, especially at the start of the season when I don't totally remember which trade teams I have riders on when scanning the startlists :D

Tour Down Under
MOSCON Gianni
PENHOËT Paul
PAGE Hugo
SCHACHMANN Maximilian
I will be looking at Penhoët's WT debut and Page trying to get the upper hand against Thijssen as the second best sprinter on Intermarché's roster. So a decent amount of intrigue for a team that will be 1000 points back by the end of January.
Page certainly outperformed Thijssen this week and Penhoët showed he belongs. Unfortunately I'm guessing tomorrow will be too difficult for them to hang on to a GC placing. Realistically this race (and most of next month) is damage control while waiting for Roglic to start his season so I'm fairly happy with how it went.

Tropicale Amissa Bongo
TESSON Jason
VERCHER Mattéo
Tesson is the best rider at the start by a confortable margin. Hopefully Total will manage to control the race and he'll get many sprint opportunities.

Vuelta a San Juan
SYRITSA Gleb
BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley
VACEK Mathias
Bernal is ubiquitous so his performance doesn't really matter. Interesting test for Syritsa against Jakobsen/Bennett/Gaviria/Sagan. The GC field is certainly a bit thin so I'm hoping Vacek can pick up something there.

GP Valencia
Nobody
I'm expecting zero point.

Mallorca races
PICCOLO Andrea
ALAPHILIPPE Julian
ASGREEN Kasper
UIJTDEBROEKS Cian
VAN EETVELT Lennert
ARRIETA LIZARRAGA Igor
DEKKER David
Finally a decent looking lineup.

After a pretty good start to the year, I was hoping to get a little more out of the TdU before the rest of you guys start passing me. Yes, I have Yates and Vine. But I was hoping for more out of Hamilton, Honore, Plapp and Schachmann. So lets see how the near future looks...... Uh Oh.

Tropicale Amissa Bongo
Nobody. I dont know enough to pick riders for this race.

Vuelta a San Juan
Brenner Marco
BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley
Simmons Quinn
Pretty weak. Maybe Quinn decides to go for some stages.

GP Valencia
GLOAG Thomas
Oh, I guess he's not on the list anymore. So I guess I'm expecting zero point.

Mallorca races
ALAPHILIPPE Julian
CARR Simon
DEKKER David
PEDERSEN Casper Phillip
SCHELLING Ide
STEINHAUSER Georg
UIJTDEBROEKS Cian
Van Wilder Ilan
Other than ALAPHILIPPE and UIJTDEBROEKS , these are among many of my 'just wishing and a hoping" picks. Dont really have any sprinters (unless you count Dekker, which i don't), so there goes half the races. But if its my lucky year, then comebackers like Pedersen and Schelling could get me a few points.

Valenciana
Ponomar

San Juan
Bernal
Vacek
Simmons

Am assuming from the startlist that this has a fair amount of TT, which probably doesn't favour the latter two?

Amissa Bongo
Salby

First indication of whether the three who us who picked him haven't wasted a spot. Mostly though, will probably regret not choosing Tesson..

Mallorca races
Walls
Schelling
Ponomar
Piccolo
Asgreen
Alaphillipe
Pedersen
Eetvelt