• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2024 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
One big score in a stage-race and a podium in a big one-day race... he would almost be half-way there, which he is capable of but easier said than done. Only beginning of March, it is too early to write anyone of unless they are out with a severe injury.
It's 'when' and 'if' again with this guy. I just don't see many points from him, he is too versatile to be at 7-15 places but not to win. I hope i'm wrong, but i had much higher hopes for him.

Dec 29, 2018
Visit site
PCS lead me astray: Hayter is riding this week, and has come third, thereby getting off the mark, so Ingsve's challenge is won my @Total Package .
Oops: either PCS momentarily put up Hayter rather than Milan (I'm going for this one) or I misread Vernon as Hayter, so that was wrong (not actually watching, so purely dependent on the results page)

As you were: Padun vs Fuglsang Rakim vs Search
Rakim for the win, I hope!:)

Update #7: Eric10 scores big

A relatively scant week still shouldn't be overlooked in this game, not only because one of the most coveted races of the year in Strade Bianche took place, but because there were some big scores and big moves as well.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Eric10519
2Shakes475
3Googolplex459
4Lortnoc456
5ray10444

Eric10 tops the week as the only team to score over 500 points thanks to some strong performances from relatively rare riders. Foremost among them is Lenny Martinez (188 points, 11 teams), on scorching form to start his sophomore year. Alec Segaert (80, 16) gets off the mark well in his rookie campaign, and Juan Ayuso (66, 39) keeps pouring on the points after his truncated start at Andalucia. Jan Christen, Darren Rafferty and David Dekker get Eric10 52, 46, and 40 points respectively as well.

Shakes almost doubles up last week's win, but comes just short with another great week. Ayuso and Martinez and Dekker show up on Shakes' team too, as well as Pidcock (96, 7) and Zana (57, 2). Googolplex nabs the last podium spot by 3 points as one of the two teams to go all in on Tadej Pogacar (220 points this week).

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1Eric10(+30)
2Lortnoc(+21)
3Shakes(+16)
4laarsland(+15)
5Googolplex(+13)

A very similar top 5 here, with Eric10 doubling up after jumping a whopping 30 places on the table. Lortnoc is a newbie here, getting 2nd and moving up 21 spots as a Martinez/Pidcock/Ayuso haver.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1shalgo138
2Jakob747120
3Shakes80
4Squire75
5repre69

shalgo scores 18 points to break the tie for first in this competition and move solely into first. Shakes parlays two great consecutive weeks into 3rd overall, while Squire scores 20 this week to move into 4th.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)shalgo3532
2(+3)Squire3006
3(-)DJ Sprtsch2982
4(-2)Jakob7472922
5(-1)skidmark2831
6(-)repre2809
7(-)JumboVismaFan2773
8(+2)Salvarani2586
9(+21)Lortnoc2569
10(-2)Gotland2531

shalgo is still firmly in first, and increases the lead on all the top 8 save Squire, who moves into 2nd after a solid week. Lortnoc rockets into the top 10 (Eric10's 30 point jump just landed outside in 11th), while vsd88 falls out.

This week it's all about Paris-Nice and Tirenno-Adriatico - the season is picking up!

If you're new to the game or need a reminder, we have a Green Jersey competition where teams get assigned points based on their weekly placings (similar to stages in a GT), and that gets compiled across the year. Points are assigned to top 15 teams each week, with a points formulation based off of TDF Green Jersey points in a previous (2010s) iteration. Points go 45-35-30-26-22-20-18-16-14-12-10-8-6-4-2, with any ties in CQ points seeing points split by averaging the placing points (eg if teams tied for 13th-14th-15th, they'd all get 4 instead of 6-4-2).
^^From the first update this year.

Reactions: Armchair Cyclist
Carlos Rodriguez totally doesn't look like a rider I hoped him to be early in the season so far.
I think he could be similar to Mas (not just because he is Spanish).

He will do well in GTs and hard one-day races. Because is solid and consistent. Great endurance. Recovers well. He can match the best on his day.

He will however "struggle" in one-week races because he is not the most explosive, not the best climber or has the best TT. He is more likely to finish top 4-10 in these races, than on the podium. Dont take my word for it, just speculating from what I see.

I think he could be similar to Mas (not just because he is Spanish).

He will do well in GTs and hard one-day races. Because is solid and consistent. Great endurance. Recovers well. He can match the best on his day.

He will however "struggle" in one-week races because he is not the most explosive, not the best climber or has the best TT. He is more likely to finish top 4-10 in these races, than on the podium. Dont take my word for it, just speculating from what I see.
He looked way better in the one-week races in both 2022 and 2023 than he has so far this year. All is not lost yet, but his safe profit doesn't look so safe anymore.

Reactions: Anderis
Yeah, he has just 6 CQ points right now, in 2022 and 2023 he had over 200 at this point of the season.

Is it because he's peaking for later in the year? Judging by his form on today's stage, I don't see his form rising that quickly and even if he indeed plans to peak later in the year, it's a small consolation if he spends half of the year barely scoring any points at all. Riders of his price need to be on form all year or those of us who pick them are usually in trouble. I only chose him because he looked very consistent in his breaktrough season (2022) so I thought he would be scoring points all year if he's healthy, and improve on his 2023 result when he was not healthy for an important part of the season. So far this is not going according to plan.

He looked way better in the one-week races in both 2022 and 2023 than he has so far this year. All is not lost yet, but his safe profit doesn't look so safe anymore.
Dont remember how he has looked in every race but his best results in one-week races so far are in races like Valenciana, Andalucia, Occitanie and Burgos.

He still has a good chance at finishing in a high place on GC here in Paris-Nice, but if he sort of follows the same trajectory as someone like Mas as I suggested... his upside in one-week races may be limited. Which maybe those who picked him hoped he would score his profit in.

If he doesnt score many points from the one-week races, which he still may very well do, he would have to score big in the GTs and some one-day races. Margin for error will not be big.

In comparison to Ayuso... who scores in almost every race he lines up for. Not the same type of rider, but going off like a scoring machine atm like a Valverde. He can afford some duds as long he keeps scoring in most races he lines up for.

Sorry for the lazy Spanish comparisons, but it is easier to get the point across that way.

He still has a good chance at finishing in a high place on GC here in Paris-Nice
Yeah, I'm still not convinced Plapp will finish ahead of Rodriguez in the end. But as a Plapp picker, I'm very happy about today's result of course. And Bernal is showing signs of becoming an essential pick.

Was very worried about Pidcock for a moment following the crash in the final corner at Tirreno, but his team has posted that he was just held up and didn't go down. Phew! Oldani however can't catch a break. He was one of four riders who actually went down.

Yeah, I'm still not convinced Plapp will finish ahead of Rodriguez in the end. But as a Plapp picker, I'm very happy about today's result of course. And Bernal is showing signs of becoming an essential pick.
Plapp gained on the last ascent yesterday 10 seconds on Rodriguez, although he had spend a lot more energy in the wind before they tackled the last climb. On Evenepoel he lost only 10 seconds on the last climb. Could be possible, that Evenepoel and Buitrago perhaps overtake him in the end, but I would be pretty surprised looking at the current form, if Rodriguez also overtakes him.

To Rodriguez: I am also a bit dissapointed right now. Really hope that it´s just slow build-up and not his actual level for the season. At least in comparison to Gran Camino his form looks a bit improved.

Defined as the period between two .xls releases, I think. So it varies, as sometimes Monday points go to the previous week.

Thanks!

Will add Green Jersey at some point later but these dumps at least allowed me to backfill the database. Graphs now a bit more meaningful to see progression through time (or worsening). Random team graph:

JPGraphTest.php

Reactions: EvansIsTheBest
BTW: Nobody picked Buitrago in this game. I think with "only" 770 points last season a lot of us will say to ourselves afterwards, "if only I had taken him"..

When it came to Colombian climbers, people were probably more excited by Bernal and Higuita since they've had much better seasons in the past. I guess with Landa gone and Jack Haig being unreliable, Buitrago was always going to get more leadership opportunities this year, but I wouldn't have thought he would have outdone Bilbao in 2 races (provided he finishes ahead of him in PN). And if Andalucía had been ridden according to plan, he would have had even more points at this stage.