• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2024 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cracked 750 points already. Easily my best start to a season and I guess I must be at least in the hunt now. Encouraging signs from Alaphilippe this week and Del Toro showing great profit already ... though he is in a lot of teams. No riders in Spain today, but a few contenders in Majorca. Looking forward to an update now.
Little tip of the cap to Williams, who rode for my team in 2021, and gave me a nice little profit.
750? Wow. I think i got 120 or so. No Del Toro = bad Bob, bad.

Michael Matthews got his first win, 80 points, semi-unique pick (2 of us picked him), well, at least something to cheer about considering how pathetic I'm in TDU :)
Wasn't all that close to picking him myself, but it was a big surprise to me that he's that rare in this game.

And now we hope and pray that CQ finally graces us with an update tomorrow/Tuesday, otherwise I'm not sure how @skidmark is supposed to keep the game going...

Reactions: hayneplane
In the women's CQ, downloadable tables are only made available a handful of times a year. The alternative is to go through the table and copy and paste a screenful at a time (100 riders). I have committed to doing that for the Women's game, but I have made it clear that updates will be about once every 3 weeks, and dependent on my time availability: I am in no way suggesting that Skidmark should undertake that for the men's game. At the moment it wouldn't be too bad, but by the end of the year there can be about 30 pages' worth, which is some very tedious copying and pasting.

But it's probably too early to declare that there is a problem.

If we have some programming wizards here, it would probably not be a super hard task to write something that fetches the results from the CQ website, but at least the initial setup of such a system would be a bit more complicated than skidmark 'just' maintaining a spreadsheet.

Anyway, let's hope it's just CQ having taken an extended Christmas holiday and that they'll be back with the updates now that the season has started properly. Keep in mind they did combine two weeks at the tail end of last season too, so maybe they're just slacking a bit in very quiet periods.

Reactions: search
In the women's CQ, downloadable tables are only made available a handful of times a year. The alternative is to go through the table and copy and paste a screenful at a time (100 riders). I have committed to doing that for the Women's game, but I have made it clear that updates will be about once every 3 weeks, and dependent on my time availability: I am in no way suggesting that Skidmark should undertake that for the men's game. At the moment it wouldn't be too bad, but by the end of the year there can be about 30 pages' worth, which is some very tedious copying and pasting.

But it's probably too early to declare that there is a problem.

Yeah, it could be done for the first update perhaps, but it would quickly become a lot of work after that.

Decent amount of riders active the coming week.

Surf Coast Classic
Archie Ryan
Biniam Girmay

Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race
Archie Ryan
Biniam Girmay

Mallorca one day races
Alexandr Vlasov
Michael Valgren
Darren Rafferty
Henri Vandenabeele
Gianni Moscon
Jan Christen
Johannes Kulset

Colombia Nationals
Egan Bernal
Sergio Higuita
Daniel Martinez
Nairo Quintana

GP Marseillaise
Alec Segaert
Markus Hoelgaard
Andreas Leknesund

So half the team active pretty much.

Reactions: postmanhat
If we have some programming wizards here, it would probably not be a super hard task to write something that fetches the results from the CQ website, but at least the initial setup of such a system would be a bit more complicated than skidmark 'just' maintaining a spreadsheet.

Anyway, let's hope it's just CQ having taken an extended Christmas holiday and that they'll be back with the updates now that the season has started properly. Keep in mind they did combine two weeks at the tail end of last season too, so maybe they're just slacking a bit in very quiet periods.
No wizard, but I do have a little bit of experience working with R. I haven’t fiddled around with fetching data from websites beforehand, but with some help from Chat GPT, I rather quickly made this “script” that fetches data from the CQ website and saves it as an excel file. I am sure there are other ways to do this, but hey, it works, and it is pretty easy to run if you have RStudio installed. It can also easily be used for the women’s CQ (it can probably save you some time, Armchair cyclist ).

I am not very (at all) active in discussions here, but considering I have participated in the game since the beginning, I thought I might as well contribute in some other way. 😉

Here is a link to download the R script.

RStudio can be downloaded here: https://posit.co/download/rstudio-desktop/

Whoever finds it useful is welcome to write if you have any questions.

Surf Coast Classic
Archie Ryan (don't see Archie on the list yet)
Biniam Girmay - maybe a winner

Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race
Archie Ryan
Biniam Girmay - maybe a winner
PLAPP Lucas - please be well enough to ride and get me some points
SIMMONS Quinn

Mallorca one day races
BARONCINI Filippo
HODEG Alvaro Jose
VALGREN Michael
VANSEVENANT Mauri - my only hope for points

Colombia Nationals no, Tour Of Colombia
CARAPAZ Richard - one of these four will win it (sorry Egan)
PICCOLO Andrea (not Colombian)
Daniel Martinez
Nairo Quintana

GP Marseillaise
Alec Segaert - good place for him
LAURANCE Axel - good place for him

Reactions: postmanhat
Decent amount of riders active the coming week.

So half the team active pretty much.
Had forgotten how much fun the first few weeks of the season are. Three stage races for the next two weeks, and four for the one leading up to Omloop, plus a fair few one-dayers. Pretty much everyone should get started, except perhaps the elite GC and classics riders?

Mainly picked Plapp to finally get a nice result at the TDU, but it remains a cursed race for me. Not expecting much from the remaining Ozzie races, but a promising start for Oldani in Spain at least.

Surf Classic
Simmons
Lopez
Battistella
Ryan

Cadel Evans
Battistella
Simmons
Lopez
Ryan
Plapp(?)

Mallorca
Louvel
Johanessen
Oldani
Valgren
Vandenabeele
Thomas B

Marseillaise
Oldani
Vauquelin
Capiot
Segaert
Vliegen

Mainly hoping that my most expensive gamble (Johanessen) can get some early points to ease my nerves.

I think it's that he has scored those 300ish points 4 different seasons so it does look like his level at a quick glance.
Yes, I really like Narvaez and have had him before. Reminds me of Van Baarle who got between 335-379 CQ points for six out of seven seasons, before becoming one of the best classics riders in the world. Maybe this is Narvaez's breakout season in terms of results...and probably moving to TVLB :)

Last edited:
Yes, I really like Narvaez and have had him before. Reminds me of Van Baarle who got between 335-379 CQ points for six out seven seasons, before becoming one of the classics riders in the world. Maybe this is Narvaez's breakout season in terms of results...and probably moving to TVLB :)
Ya, that's the hardest type of rider to pick in this game. Normally you either pick the one who had a bad year who can bounce back of the one on an upward trajectory. Managing to predict someone suddenly springing up from an established level is a hard gamble. Possibly if there is a very favorable team shift could it be predicted.