• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Beatles

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
OMFG

The concert experience should never attempt to be recreated at a graduation from ANYTHING. Some sad b*astard even brought a beach ball to bounce off the heads of other graduates. As if that could improve the caterwauling.

There is only one thing left to say:
God save us all from Journey.
And Coldplay.

tifosa said:
OMFG

The concert experience should never attempt to be recreated at a graduation from ANYTHING. Some sad b*astard even brought a beach ball to bounce off the heads of other graduates. As if that could improve the caterwauling.

There is only one thing left to say:
God save us all from Journey.
And Coldplay.

coldplay...i can never remember any of the songs they sing. not a good sign.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
New Jimi Hendrix release in a few weeks. Valleys of Neptune, containing a dozen previously unreleased studio tracks recorded mostly in 1969 Hope it's not disappointing.
put it here cuz it don't need it's own thread

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Great video, love Phil Collins on drums.

To mix things up a bit, the Beatles are as overrated as U2. Boy bands trying to push their version of pop music.:eek:

L29205 said:
Great video, love Phil Collins on drums.

To mix things up a bit, the Beatles are as overrated as U2. Boy bands trying to push their version of pop music.:eek:

phil collins is a ringo wannabe. you can check his quote's.
the drum fill in "in the air tonight" is a direct copy of ringo starr, from
"abbey road" drum solo.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
phil collins is a ringo wannabe. you can check his quote's.
the drum fill in "in the air tonight" is a direct copy of ringo starr, from
"abbey road" drum solo.

Many years ago, reviewing "Come Together" in Melody Maker, Keef Hartley (also a
drummer) said "I like the drummer - whoever it is".....

any suggestions who really played drums on Beatles records?

Condorman said:
Many years ago, reviewing "Come Together" in Melody Maker, Keef Hartley (also a
drummer) said "I like the drummer - whoever it is".....

any suggestions who really played drums on Beatles records?

ringo did most all of it, except paul in a couple of spots. ringo is one of the greatest drummers ever. bernard purdie, who i know, liked to claim he did some beatles tracks, but it was just bs. i saw the beatles first tour in 1964 and ringo and the whole band were amazing live. i have seen jimi hendrix, cream,
led zepplelin among others, and the beatles were the best i have seen.
keef hartley was a good player, not quite a ringo in my mind.
i should mention that the first sessions they did with george martin, he brought in a session
guy(forget his name) to cover the drum chair. however as soon as sir george heard ringo
the session guy was gone

A

Anonymous

usedtobefast said:
ringo did most all of it, except paul in a couple of spots. ringo is one of the greatest drummers ever. bernard purdie, who i know, liked to claim he did some beatles tracks, but it was just bs. i saw the beatles first tour in 1964 and ringo and the whole band were amazing live. i have seen jimi hendrix, cream,
led zepplelin among others, and the beatles were the best i have seen.
keef hartley was a good player, not quite a ringo in my mind.
i should mention that the first sessions they did with george martin, he brought in a session
guy(forget his name) to cover the drum chair. however as soon as sir george heard ringo
the session guy was gone

Dude....dude........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO2qO9FaIWU

And he did it with one bass drum and one pedal

Thoughtforfood said:
Dude....dude........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO2qO9FaIWU

And he did it with one bass drum and one pedal

so what is your point? i love john bonham. one of the all time greats.
have you ever studied joe morello?. bonzo did. he got a lot of his chops
from him. mitch mitchell,ginger baker, so many guys from that era.
do you know who jim keltner is? you should.

these things are not mutually exclusive. more people will not like your music, than will.
that is a given. even the beatles.
people told Beethoven he could not write music with parallel 5ths. i guess they just did
not understand his genius. anyway, time to ramble on...

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Actually, if you're thinking of "Taxman" that's a Harrison song.

Remember the line "If 5% appears too small, be happy I don't take it all". Yes, back in the mid-60's the most wealthy in England paid a 95% tax rate! (And you thought taxes were too high in this country!)

The right wing screwballs on here still don't get it. Whoosh, right over their heads.

A

Anonymous

usedtobefast said:
so what is your point? i love john bonham. one of the all time greats.
have you ever studied joe morello?. bonzo did. he got a lot of his chops
from him. mitch mitchell,ginger baker, so many guys from that era.
do you know who jim keltner is? you should.

these things are not mutually exclusive. more people will not like your music, than will.
that is a given. even the beatles.
people told Beethoven he could not write music with parallel 5ths. i guess they just did
not understand his genius. anyway, time to ramble on...

I was just pointing out that the I find innovative drummers much more worthy of "greatest drummers ever" than is Ringo. You have people like Moon, and Peart, McNeily, and many others just from the rock genre that are much better artists. Then you start getting into jazz drummers and he falls down the list by leaps and bounds. He isn't even in the same league as Rich or Elvin Jones, not even close.

Thoughtforfood said:
I was just pointing out that the I find innovative drummers much more worthy of "greatest drummers ever" than is Ringo. You have people like Moon, and Peart, McNeily, and many others just from the rock genre that are much better artists. Then you start getting into jazz drummers and he falls down the list by leaps and bounds. He isn't even in the same league as Rich or Elvin Jones, not even close.

Guys you are comparing apples to oranges. It is ridiculous to compare a rock drummer, any rock drummer to the the top jazz drummers. It´s also a bit ridiculous to to say any one drummer as "the greatest ever". They all had great ideas and rhythms to contribute to the music they were playing.
Mitch Mitchel was heavily influenced by Elvin Jones and it shows but Hendrix was not composing pop and Mitch was a perfect fit.

Ringo was a great rock drummer. Certainly one of the greats. He had an amazing groove and applied some very unconvential ideas within the song context of the music the Beatles composed. He was not a technician, but who cares about that in R&R, unless you´re talking about prog-rock and drummers like Peart, Collins ect. Technical ability does not alone make one great. Back in the 50s and 60s a lot of the American rock drummers were jazz players playing simple rock beats, Motown´s a good example.

Many of the most respected drummers in the world are groove masters. Stewart Copeland was respected by jazz drummers, though he wasn´t a pyro technics type player. He had a unique and very musical approach and a great groove.

I´ve seen the Beatles, I have many concert videos of them touring and Ringo was rock solid every night for evey song. I saw one of his All Star concerts with his son playing drums, but when Ringo joined him and took over the beat changed dramatically and became the Beatle beat, the Mercy beat that his technically superior son just didn´t have.

You may of guessed that I am a drummer. Mostly jazz for the past 15 years, but I´ve played rock, funk, punk, punk funk......you name it. I´ve been a pro for many years, too many to admit to and I truly dislike the labeling of artists of any kind "the best", "the greatest". In art they just don´t apply.

Sorry for the rant. Think I´ll go put on some music.

Carboncrank

BANNED
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Tangled Tango said:
Guys you are comparing apples to oranges. It is ridiculous to compare a rock drummer, any rock drummer to the the top jazz drummers. It´s also a bit ridiculous to to say any one drummer as "the greatest ever". They all had great ideas and rhythms to contribute to the music they were playing.
Mitch Mitchel was heavily influenced by Elvin Jones and it shows but Hendrix was not composing pop and Mitch was a perfect fit.

Ringo was a great rock drummer. Certainly one of the greats. He had an amazing groove and applied some very unconvential ideas within the song context of the music the Beatles composed. He was not a technician, but who cares about that in R&R, unless you´re talking about prog-rock and drummers like Peart, Collins ect. Technical ability does not alone make one great. Back in the 50s and 60s a lot of the American rock drummers were jazz players playing simple rock beats, Motown´s a good example.

Many of the most respected drummers in the world are groove masters. Stewart Copeland was respected by jazz drummers, though he wasn´t a pyro technics type player. He had a unique and very musical approach and a great groove.

I´ve seen the Beatles, I have many concert videos of them touring and Ringo was rock solid every night for evey song. I saw one of his All Star concerts with his son playing drums, but when Ringo joined him and took over the beat changed dramatically and became the Beatle beat, the Mercy beat that his technically superior son just didn´t have.

You may of guessed that I am a drummer. Mostly jazz for the past 15 years, but I´ve played rock, funk, punk, punk funk......you name it. I´ve been a pro for many years, too many to admit to and I truly dislike the labeling of artists of any kind "the best", "the greatest". In art they just don´t apply.

Sorry for the rant. Think I´ll go put on some music.

well said about ringo.

billy cobham is the worlds greatest drummer. technically gifted, experienced, disciplined, play it all kind of drummer who has by far the greatest physical skills ever. once you've head a billy cobham solo rock drummers will bore you to tears. he has gifts and athletic skills that make it possible to do things other drummer just can't do.
and he's down to earth guy that promotes practicing time working on technique as essential to being a good musician.

i've seen him probably six times or so including twice in the early "Mahavishnu Orchestra" days.

I generaly agree about it being a bad idea to talk in such terms artists.

In this case, I just can't help myself.

Carboncrank

BANNED
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Tangled Tango said:

TFF doesn't hear Mersey beat. You can't teach it, you can't learn it. You either hear it or you don't.

Carboncrank

BANNED
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Condorman said:
What a lame version. You should look for the original Cream version with ...
er ... Clapton, Bruce, and a real drummer :rolleyes:

excellent point!@ Ginger Baker was a very original player.

every time I hear a cover band do "Sunshine of your love" and the drummer put's the accent on 2 and 4 instead of 1 and 3, i want to scream bloody murder, which is what's actually happening when they do that!

TRENDING THREADS