• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Beatles

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Hugh Januss said:
Playing the ignore card doesn't score you any points unless you do it first.

Looks like I beat her to the punch. Well, I will chalk that up as the win for the day, suspend any other activities I had planned, and take a nap...or maybe visit the local boat ramp. Saw an ambulance, rescue truck, and rescue boat at one this past weekend. Guess some of them do manage to get launched...

BTW, this thread is bad, but I just read the crap going on over in The Clinic, and I just can't take it. It is one thing to belittle someone about their musical tastes for fun, but that is a completely different animal. I think I may take a hiatus for a couple of months (or at least that forum) and see how things are then.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
BTW, this thread is bad, but I just read the crap going on over in The Clinic, and I just can't take it. It is one thing to belittle someone about their musical tastes for fun, but that is a completely different animal. I think I may take a hiatus for a couple of months (or at least that forum) and see how things are then.

That Rise of the Dead character is too much. I am very much anti-banning, ignore, etc. and I have defended Sprocket before. I say a "troll" is somebody that doesn't agree with you.

But, this guy is too irritating with his "honking with EPO hurts performance" schtick.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Playing the ignore card doesn't score you any points unless you do it first.

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'doing it first'. Do you mean before my interlocuter or as in the absolute sense of 'the first man on the moon.' If it's the latter, I admit I'm not the first to do anything and I'm new on here. No one here is that original.

I'm just genuinely sick of this guy's attitude and intolerance. He seems to get a thrill from that and everyone let's him do it, unlike what's being said about Deadlift/Rise of the Dead. And I'm not playing games or playing metaphorical cards.

Is blogging here a point-scoring exercise? Are there kudos to be won for being quick on the draw? For being the biggest a$$hole in this neo-Wild West?

May 18, 2009
Visit site
CycloErgoSum said:
I don't quite understand what you mean by 'doing it first'. Do you mean before my interlocuter or as in the absolute sense of 'the first man on the moon.' If it's the latter, I admit I'm not the first to do anything and I'm new on here. No one here is that original.

I'm just genuinely sick of this guy's attitude and intolerance. He seems to get a thrill from that and everyone let's him do it, unlike what's being said about Deadlift/Rise of the Dead. And I'm not playing games or playing metaphorical cards.

Is blogging here a point-scoring exercise? Are there kudos to be won for being quick on the draw? For being the biggest a$$hole in this neo-Wild West?

It sounds like you need to hone your interpersonal skills a bit. As you say, you are new here but with your attitude you will always be new in forums because I am sure you have been banned in several before now.

Your attitude in this thread is beyond defendable, and putting TFF on the defensive and now soiling his good reputation is inexcusable.

A

Anonymous

ChrisE said:
That Rise of the Dead character is too much. I am very much anti-banning, ignore, etc. and I have defended Sprocket before. I say a "troll" is somebody that doesn't agree with you.

But, this guy is too irritating with his "honking with EPO hurts performance" schtick.

Thanks for the boat ramp thing, seriously!

My biggest problem with people like Sprocket and The Rise of the Dead is that there is a difference in being an a$$hole and seeking to disrupt and drive people away. I swear that neither of them are cycling fans. They are just trolls who do this on any forum they choose. In fact, I would not doubt that Sprocket enlisted the help of The Rise just to double his efforts.

Whatever is going on over there, it is destroying that part of the forum. Heck, that might not be such a bad thing. I for one am kind of sick of talking about The Uniballer so much. I will get enough of that in July for the rest of the year, so I am going to try to stick to threads that don't have him as a subject...well, maybe...

A

Anonymous

ChrisE said:
It sounds like you need to hone your interpersonal skills a bit. As you say, you are new here but with your attitude you will always be new in forums because I am sure you have been banned in several before now.

Your attitude in this thread is beyond defendable, and putting TFF on the defensive and now soiling his good reputation is inexcusable.

YEA!!!!!! I don't need any help in that thank you very much! I like soiling my own reputation, and my own pants.

CycloErgoSum said:

What I "meant" was to make a frickin' joke. Jebus H. Keerist some people need to settle the f. down. The number one forum rule should be "don't start with somebody if you are gonna get your panties in a twist when they respond".

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:

I'm not sure if you're joking or not...sorry for being slow on the uptake, maybe I don't speak your lingo. I don't mix with a lot of guys and I don't know any Americans.

I hope I didn't spoil anyone's fun if that's what it was. I interpreted things as being nasty. I admit that got my hackles up and I wasn't as nice as I could be either.

If my attitude is bad I'm quite open to suggestions. I'm no pig-head, like the song says, 'I was an oak, no I'm a willow, and I can bend.' BTW that's NOT a beatle song...

ChrisE said:

Ha, I get it, sarcasm.:D

A

Anonymous

broken chain said:
Oh,sorry, I thought I was in the Beatles music thread!:rolleyes:;)

Dude, they are all about Lance Armstrong, thought you knew that...:)

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Thanks for the boat ramp thing, seriously!

My biggest problem with people like Sprocket and The Rise of the Dead is that there is a difference in being an a$$hole and seeking to disrupt and drive people away. I swear that neither of them are cycling fans. They are just trolls who do this on any forum they choose. In fact, I would not doubt that Sprocket enlisted the help of The Rise just to double his efforts.

Whatever is going on over there, it is destroying that part of the forum. Heck, that might not be such a bad thing. I for one am kind of sick of talking about The Uniballer so much. I will get enough of that in July for the rest of the year, so I am going to try to stick to threads that don't have him as a subject...well, maybe...

The boat ramp thing is true. I fish alot now that I don't ride, and it never ceases to amaze me the stupidity and inconsideration of fellow humans (I use that term lightly).

I enjoyed Sprocket, RBC, etc. mainly because he got such a rise from y'all and his arguments were at least clever. This Dead guy has no logical argument.

I don't post much there, either, mainly because of the hysteria towards LA. I think he doped as much as anybody, but I have a life in spite of that. And, I am unwilling to suspend protocol to catch the guy. All the threads devolve into the same thing, as you note.

For a new hobby you should try trolling various newspaper bulletin boards or fishing/hunting boards and write outlandish and inflammatory posts to get a rise out of the locals. I just found a new one that is very promising, after messing with the Oprah Winfrey one for awhile. I wasn't getting enough attention in there. If you think the clinic is bad, those Oprah posters are totally out of whack.

A

Anonymous

ChrisE said:
The boat ramp thing is true. I fish alot now that I don't ride, and it never ceases to amaze me the stupidity and inconsideration of fellow humans (I use that term lightly).

I enjoyed Sprocket, RBC, etc. mainly because he got such a rise from y'all and his arguments were at least clever. This Dead guy has no logical argument.

I don't post much there, either, mainly because of the hysteria towards LA. I think he doped as much as anybody, but I have a life in spite of that. And, I am unwilling to suspend protocol to catch the guy. All the threads devolve into the same thing, as you note.

For a new hobby you should try trolling various newspaper bulletin boards or fishing/hunting boards and write outlandish and inflammatory posts to get a rise out of the locals. I just found a new one that is very promising, after messing with the Oprah Winfrey one for awhile. I wasn't getting enough attention in there. If you think the clinic is bad, those Oprah posters are totally out of whack.

...Evidently, I need to find a Beatles forum...

A

Anonymous

Susan Westemeyer said:
Back to music.

I personally think the Beatles are gods, but if someone else thinks differently, hey that's cool.

Susan

My thing is, I understand what people are saying about them, the groundbreaking nature of their rise, etc. I just don't like the way their music sounds. It just doesn't click that switch in me that makes me say "I have got to go get that album/8 track/cassette/cd/MP3." I just never liked their sound, and really do think that they are over hyped in some ways, especially Lennon. I also, regardless of what may be said about me, believe people are entitled to their own opinion even if it is wrong...:D

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Back to music.

I personally think the Beatles are gods, but if someone else thinks differently, hey that's cool.

Susan

Ok, how about this: it's widely believed the Beatles were originals in every way. That's true for many areas, however, the area they were least original in was their music! Paul McCartney himself has said he knew the band were on the rocks when they, "stopped trying to improve on the music they heard on the radio everyday."

In this age of intellectual property rights, music and the arts is in some sense a collective enterprise, a feedback loop where one artefact is informed by and influences the other. Heck, there's only 12 notes in the scale...it's amazing there's as much variety as there is.

As an earlier poster stated, you can't steal the blues...it's already there

P.S. You can still say you don't like them! (I'm so anti-establishment it's amazing I do...but magic is magic)

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Okay, since politics and various topics are appropriate here, I thought I'd bring up one I hope will get people boiling with anger.

I cannot stand The Beatles. The only one with any talent was George Harrison, and that was minimal. Every year around Christmas I froth at the mouth when I hear that "Simply having a wonderful Christmas time" song by the most talentless of them, Sir Paul McCartney. John Lennon was self absorbed and not a very talented song writer. "Imagine" just isn't that great of a song. And Ringo? Please!

The White Album could be amusing when under the influence of certain substances, but all in all, I am just not a fan of their music. In fact, I listen most anything they wrote, and turn it off quickly. Especially anything done by Sir Paul McCartney. He is a real hack.

And you?

Kind of late for me to be joining the discussion, but I totally agree.

I just had respond seeing as we tend to disagree with everything else. I'll co-sign everything you wrote in this post....sorry dim.

EDIT: The reason I don't like them is quite simple: they don't appeal to me and their musicianship and technical ability are incredibly overrated. As far as I'm concerned they invented radio rock.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
My thing is, I understand what people are saying about them, the groundbreaking nature of their rise, etc. I just don't like the way their music sounds. It just doesn't click that switch in me that makes me say "I have got to go get that album/8 track/cassette/cd/MP3." I just never liked their sound, and really do think that they are over hyped in some ways, especially Lennon. I also, regardless of what may be said about me, believe people are entitled to their own opinion even if it is wrong...:D

That's cool, TFF. Sorry I crashed your game. You're not on ignore anymore. I'm a heel.

I get what you're saying about their sound. I actually like their live sound best (there's not much good audio of it around, though) like in Hamburg...they were very raw and punk before they got cleaned up for mass consumption. Tube amps turned all the way up...fantastic.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone else like The Jam? I've always thought they were the coolest of the British New Wave bands. Weller's Rickenbacker and that thumping Ric bass...I gotta get one of those.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
Kind of late for me to be joining the discussion, but I totally agree.

I just had respond seeing as we tend to disagree with everything else. I'll co-sign everything you wrote in this post....sorry dim.

EDIT: The reason I don't like them is quite simple: they don't appeal to me and their musicianship and technical ability is incredibly overrated. As far as I'm concerned they invented radio rock.

I guess that comes down to that dichotomy between technically-gifted musicians and those that play with good 'feel' or 'touch'. With regards to guitarists, guys like Steve Vai fall into the former category, while Pete Townshend might fall into the latter (I almost said Noel Gallagher too, but figured I would be shot for including him with Pete.) Players that span both categories are truly great, like Clapton and EVH.

Lennon used to make numerous fumbles on the guitar that you can hear on records, but that was part of his charm. But he was a handy rhythm player and also did the blues licks on Get Back.

Ya know, I've seen Ol Slowhand twice and he still hasn't done White Room!

CycloErgoSum said:
Does anyone else like The Jam? I've always thought they were the coolest of the British New Wave bands. Weller's Rickenbacker and that thumping Ric bass...I gotta get one of those.

Personally I much prefered Gang Of Four from the same late 70's early 80's as The Jam always seemed to me to be trying a little to hard to channel the Kinks. Not that I didn't like the Kinks.
I also disagree with one aspect of TFF's appraisal of the Beatles, that being George Harrison being the most talented. Harrison to me embodied pure schmaltz while Lennon was the original punk. Went frickin out of his mind w/ the whole Yoko thing though, but "Cold Turkey" was the best Beatles song ever.