• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Bobby Julich files

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Come clean completely and fully. That is all. Don't bull**** us and lie to us that you stopped doping whenever you left the big bad shadow of Armstrong.

I get your point (and the others above) though it doesn't apply specifically to Julich. But theoretically if you are being forced to do something that perhaps on your own you wouldn't do once the source of pressure (Lance or USPS) leaves or you leave it, isn't it possible that you quit. I look at it in some ways that many people probably partied or whatever in college or fraternity but at some point, maybe even in college, toned it down or stopped altogether while others kept right on going.

Mrs John Murphy said:
Julich gives a half-hearted confession.

Refuses to talk about CSC and continues to protect Riis.

+1. I wonder why are they so afraid of Riis.
Mcquaid sings his praises and Julich praises CSC.

I'd like to see a more clear picture of the doping at CSC emerging. Particularly whether Sastre was clean or not.

MR_Sarcastic said:
Should he lose his 1998 3rd place...?

“I made the decision to use EPO several times from August 1996 until July of 1998,” Julich wrote. “Those days were very different from today, but it was not a decision that I reached easily. I knew that it was wrong, but over those two years, the attitude surrounding the use of EPO in the peloton was so casual and accepted that I personally lost perspective of the gravity of the situation.”

Speaking of 1998..

1st Pantani
2nd Ulrich....

Should all three places be vacated?
?

No. Riis win in 96 still stands. Julich's 3rd place will remain with a footnote.

The riders are very careful not to confess to anything which falls within 8 years.

I guess this makes LeMond the only American to win the Tour de France and now the only one to podium in the Tour de France. Take away Armstrong, Landis, Leipheimer, now Julich. Next highest legitimate placing is Andy Hampsten in 1986.

Nick C. said:
I look at it in some ways that many people probably partied or whatever in college or fraternity but at some point, maybe even in college, toned it down or stopped altogether while others kept right on going.

Except a college or fraternity doesn't pay you a salary for high marks then reward you for top marks.

Another guy who cheated, has done well by it, and now wants everything to be forgiven. Cheaters prosper.

This is an obvious attempt to stay ahead of the inevitable 2012 Sky scandal. How about firing the medical staff that probably doped other teams?

benzwire said:
I guess this makes LeMond the only American to win the Tour de France and now the only one to podium in the Tour de France. Take away Armstrong, Landis, Leipheimer, now Julich. Next highest legitimate placing is Andy Hampsten in 1986.

Lemond and Hampsten is right.

I don't know why Thom Weisel's USA Cycling is not the center of a great deal of attention given that most of the riders that came through their system and stayed in Europe were dopers.

BTW, what the wives of riders know would probably be very interesting. Omerta extends into the home. Crime families should be run so well in 2012.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Except a college or fraternity doesn't pay you a salary for high marks then reward you for top marks.

Another guy who cheated, has done well by it, and now wants everything to be forgiven. Cheaters prosper.

This is an obvious attempt to stay ahead of the inevitable 2012 Sky scandal. How about firing the medical staff that probably doped other teams?

The point was it comes off as if people are incapable of changing their behavior.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Dear Bobby,

"I would like to preface this statement, by saying that while I don't expect all of you to believe some of the things that I am about to say,"

you're right!

"I don't want to insult anyone’s intelligence any longer"

hmm...I sense my intelligence is about to soon be insulted...

"I made the decision to use EPO several times from August 1996 until July of 1998"

WOW! what's next, the earth isn't actually flat?? Anyway, go on...

"During the 1998 Tour, my fiancé (now wife) found out what was going on from another rider's wife. She confronted me on it and it was one of the most dreadful experiences of my life. She was never a part of this and I put her in a very difficult situation. She told me right then and there that if it ever happened again, our relationship would be over. That was motivation enough and I knew I had to stop."

I can see that. You started sucking pretty badly right after that race.

"My return to the top level of the sport coincided with signing at Team CSC in 2004 and I want to briefly explain my side of the story"

hmmmm....why do I feel you're about to renege on that earlier promise??

"At no time was I offered or did I receive any sort of blood manipulation nor did I witness any systematic doping within the team. I found that I could compete without it and my results during that period were achieved clean."

let me quickly put this into "googletranslate.BS" and see what comes out:

"I really don't want my wife to kill me, lose my Olympic medal or be completely ostracized from working in the sport. Living in the real world would totally SUCK!".

OK, that's better. I hear ya.

"I know I cannot change my past, however, I do wish to remain in the sport of cycling in some capacity. I love it with all my heart and I hope that even though I made some poor decisions a long time ago, that I can continue to help contribute to the positive changes in this sport"

Do you, really?? I mean, like really really?? or do you just love having a job in cycling? Because from where I'm sitting, the latter really seems to be the case.

Bobby, I know you're reading this, so I'm gonna make it simple: either you're the most talented guy to ride a bike, probably EVER, or the drugs don't actually work that well. This is evidenced by the 2004 Olympic TT, the Paris Nice and Criterium International wins and some other results, against some absolutely top-fueled competition. If you got those results clean, then you should be very, very angry--because you would have won several Grand Tours with that sort of ability...because I KNOW that the doping methods available at the time were and are extremely effective. Or, that leaves us with one other option: that you're not being truthful.

So, help me out here and try to explain to me where I've fallen off of logic bus here? I'll be waiting.

Nick C. said:
I get your point (and the others above) though it doesn't apply specifically to Julich. But theoretically if you are being forced to do something that perhaps on your own you wouldn't do once the source of pressure (Lance or USPS) leaves or you leave it, isn't it possible that you quit. I look at it in some ways that many people probably partied or whatever in college or fraternity but at some point, maybe even in college, toned it down or stopped altogether while others kept right on going.

We have a whole series of 'confessions' in it everyone who was at Motorola/USP/Disco/Astana was involved in doping until they left Armstrong's shadow, this is despite doping being rife in the peloton at the time as T-Mob, Festina, Pantani, Puerto and countless other scandals have shown.

So despite being dirty at USP, and riding in a dirty era, everyone one of these riders suddenly had a Pauline conversion and became clean.

I find this a little hard to believe.

Of course, it has nothing to do with the fact that there is/was no investigation into say CSC to the present day?

Omerta might have been broken over USP but it hasn't been broken over CSC.

hfer07 said:
I'm just going to say that I'm pleased he confessed- even if the results & dates don't quite match with what he claims to be "clean results" but at least is one ex-doper exposing the truth rather than a big a$$hole refusing to confess....

except it's not the truth unless you believe he actually stopped in 1998. It's the bare minimum confession with a whole lot of excuses and justifications.

proffate said:
except it's not the truth unless you believe he actually stopped in 1998. It's the bare minimum confession with a whole lot of excuses and justifications.

as I wrote- His statement is still doubtful on his "clean results" specially during the CSC years-so I'm not claiming I believed 100% what he said -but then again-at least this entire mess allowed him to speak out about his doping instead of hiding & denying it ....

Mrs John Murphy said:
So despite being dirty at USP, and riding in a dirty era, everyone one of these riders suddenly had a Pauline conversion and became clean.

Sssshhhhh!!! It's not for you.

It's for the "I watch cycling in July" crowd who are setting PR's at 40KM fun rides and most Triathletes. As 1313 pointed out in the Post of The Day, it's about keeping a job in cycling. The UCI is trying very, very hard to keep the "bad rider" excuse alive.

Julich's "dark era" is behind us now.:rolleyes:

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:

Oooooh. You must be right.

Vaughters probably has a syringe filled with epo sticking out of his buttt AS WE SPEAK. Andreu, too. He always looks a little too jacked up on the webcasts.

Once a doper, always a doper.

I'm fine with being suspicious of Julich's more recent past, and even with being angry at his claim of not insulting our intelligence, if you believe that's what he's doing. But all he had to do to keep his job was keep his mouth shut, and he chose not to. That takes integrity, and I feel almost compelled to point that out because he's getting nothing but contempt here.

Of course, it's entirely possible that his wife forced him to confess today too. In which case, she should be running the interviews at team Sky.

GuidoG said:
Dont pi$$ on me and tell me its raining!!

He was hiding it from his wife in 1998 he claims she only found out form another riders wife.
Some kind of relationship that must´ve been.

Apparently GuidoG has the perfect relationship or marriage which has absolutely not secrets.
I don't find it that weird that he didn't tell his wife. Everyone has secrets, also for their husbands and wives. We are humans afterall.

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
6 pages and I think its about time we get to see that cruel hottie (his wife). So far I approve, any better pictures ? :D

oly_ap_bjulich1_600.jpg

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
If Brailsford is really looking to weed out those who have a sense of conscience and can't be trusted to keep to the omerta, he is certainly going the right way about it. ;)

skidmark said:
... all he had to do to keep his job was keep his mouth shut, and he chose not to. That takes integrity, and I feel almost compelled to point that out because he's getting nothing but contempt here.

Bobby lived the competitive cycling dream until very recently. He has a beautiful family likely a result of doping/cheating and then publishes a strategic confession that very, very VERY likely lies to readers and fans anway.

Poor Bobby! Maybe he'd like to face some of the clean riders he stole the dream from. Judging by the "confession" he'd lie to them too.

Robert21, the Sky scandal is inevitable. Like the Tailwind fraud, there are too many players for it to stay secret.

TRENDING THREADS