• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Caleb Ewan vs. Fernando Gaviria Thread

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Scarponi said:
To me and I know a lot will
Disagree but People hate on Ewan because he Australian vs the almost sickening love for riders from Colombia and Portugal
On here. Zero reason why a 23 year cops the crap he does on here and the love for the exact same rider from Colombia is over earned
Here Colombians are usually overhyped but Gaviria sprinting wise has already showed that is a phenomenon, I think it's difficult to find a rider with 4 wins and points jersey in his first GT.
What he should show are his credentials in cobbles/hilly classics where some think he could deliver.

Personally I’m not that big of a fan of Australian cycling, Cadel Ewans wasn’t a good ambassador and a lot of obnoxious cycling bloggers on yt are from Australia so I’m biased. But with Caleb Ewan I think I just dislike short riders in general, never really cared for Cav either. I like the tall, powerful and handsome sprinters like Cipo, Kittel and Hushovd, and prefer Dumoulin over Pozzovivo;) That’s probably why I like Gaviria more, maybe this unconsciously affects a lot of fans, idk. Caleb is obviously talented though.

Once again took a look at some of the posts made in this thread. Had laugh at a few posts like claiming this was as one sided as Sagan vs EBH...yeah...guess what, Ewan now has the same amount of tdf stages as Gaviria and just one less gt stage in general while other than Gaviria he has won stages at all three gt's. Boy does this make me happy after all the sh*t that was written about Ewan in this thread.

Gigs_98 said:
Once again took a look at some of the posts made in this thread. Had laugh at a few posts like claiming this was as one sided as Sagan vs EBH...yeah...guess what, Ewan now has the same amount of tdf stages as Gaviria and just one less gt stage in general while other than Gaviria he has won stages at all three gt's. Boy does this make me happy after all the sh*t that was written about Ewan in this thread.

Nice to see such comments from a neutral observer. Yes I was aware of some of the illogical unfair comments on Ewan in the past. Always felt it was only a matter of time before he got the formula right. Happy to see him delivering his full potential. Hopefully he gets over the Alpes and can make it three on the Champs-Élysées.

Re:

yaco said:
Gaviria is a touch quicker and maybe more versatile in riding Classic type races - But there has always been little between Ewan and Gaviria.
I still honestly think that gaviria is the more talented rider. I think they are almost equal in simpel bunch sprints but Gaviria can win slightly harder races (although of the two Ewan was a lot closer to winning Milano Sanremo). But raw talent isn't everything. I'm starting to doubt we will ever see gavirias full potential in classics while Ewan looks like this year for the first time in his career he really got all the pieces he needs together.

It's interesting that Ewan is always portrayed as yet another Australian cyclist, but perhaps he should also be recognised as one of the most successful WT cyclists to date with significant (half) eastern Asian heritage.

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
GWP1nBc.jpg

It's not even close, and Ewan has won those TdF stages this year because of the unusually weak field, including the absence of Gaviria, who got injured and isn't there. Photo-finish with Groenwegen in Stage 11 and edging Viviani / Groenwegen by a wheel-length in stage 16

Ewan is a one-trick pony who is also inferior in strategy and style.

Most of the current top sprinters are here.

Generally, the level of top sprinters these days is low. I'd go as far as to argue the likes of Goss and Farrar would be enjoying decent success right now, let alone Cav/Kittel/Greipel

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
GWP1nBc.jpg

It's not even close, and Ewan has won those TdF stages this year because of the unusually weak field, including the absence of Gaviria, who got injured and isn't there. Photo-finish with Groenwegen in Stage 11 and edging Viviani / Groenwegen by a wheel-length in stage 16

Ewan is a one-trick pony who is also inferior in strategy and style.

Lol.

Because Gaviria has had a lot of luck against Groenewegen recently... Check De Panne if you want to see how they measure up against each other.

Too bad team UAE is so stacked that Gaviria didn't have a spot in their squad so he can beat Ewan again. Anyway, I'm sure Ewan can hardly sleep thinking about his humiliating 114th place in a stage at the Tour of Guangxi he so desperately tried to win. :D