• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Cat Thread

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
hiero2 said:
Dude, without being catty, I can honestly say, if you need to stay THAT far ahead of the dog thread, it is no wonder you have a reputation for being grouchy. It stands, at the mo, at about 8 to 1, right? Sheesh. If you were riding the RAAM, you'd be in NYC when the dogs left CA!

I've got a story for ya. I've mostly had cats in my adult years. I grew up in a house that bred and trained dogs. But dogs are more maintenance than cats. So I had cats.

One year I had a cat while living in the city - and she got hit by a car. So I went to the pound to find a new kitty. I walked up and down the aisles, looking for a kitten with bright eyes and a calm demeanor. I figured if the kitten could stay calm in a pound, well, should be a calm cat! So I said to the attendant - I want this one. The attendant told me to come back on Saturday, and they would do the paperwork then.

I came back on Saturday, and they were very busy. I didn't see my kitten, but I didn't want to interrupt the attendants. They were REALLY busy. After some time, I finally buttonholed an attendant, "Excuse me, I hate to interrupt . . ." and told them I was supposed to pick up my kitten. She asked for my paperwork. I told her the previous attendant had told me to do the paperwork today. She got a look on her face - not a good one, either.

She went to the back to check on something. It turned out she was checking to see if they had turned on the gas in the gas room yet. It was past the scheduled time, you see. Turned out nobody had done so, they were too busy. My kitten was in that room.

Idk what was up with the 1st attendant, but they knew better. It didn't really matter tho - that cat, Sammi, and I were together for 13 years. She traveled with me on occasion, too. She was a good traveler. When she passed away, I built her a wood coffin, with her name carved in the lid. I still miss her sometimes. Today we have two rescue cats - nothing like my old Sammi. These two are so energetic they drive me nuts - but they do keep the mouse pop down. I also have two dogs, and they get to run with me while I ride in the park next door.

Hope I haven't bored ya. That's my cat palmares, so to speak.

Cool story- I would love to have as long a history with cats.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
image.jpg

:D

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Clementine!

Roughly 2 1/2 years after I lost my buddy of 19yrs Hunter(yes, I'm an HST fan,see new avatar), I've taken the plunge again and took in a rescue kitten. She was found abandoned or lost at 6wks old cowering under a boat in someone's back yard. I've had her now for nearly 8 months. It's been tough at times. Hunter was...well, perfect and I've tried really hard to not compare Clemmie to her. She's not terribly affectionate, she likes to have a little cuddle once or twice a day and otherwise she's off kind of doing her own thing. Hopefully things will get better with time.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
marinoni said:
She's not terribly affectionate, she likes to have a little cuddle once or twice a day and otherwise she's off kind of doing her own thing. Hopefully things will get better with time.
Some cats are affectionate and others seem to think of humans as little more than a meal ticket.

As long as our cats (six of 'em) come in at night, don't fight with each other (too much), don't pick on the dog, and don't keep me up all night playing The Flying Trampolini Brothers on the bed, I'm happy to just having them around.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
marinoni said:
. . .Hunter was...well, perfect and I've tried really hard to not compare Clemmie to her. She's not terribly affectionate, she likes to have a little cuddle once or twice a day and otherwise she's off kind of doing her own thing. Hopefully things will get better with time.

More than dogs, I think, cats have a wide range of personalities. Sammi - who lived with me for 13 years, was brave, calm, smart, and just right in the affection department. Sprocket - was an excellent hunter, and loved to pick on the dogs - which probably is why he disappeared one night. He probably met a coyote, and thought he could bully him. Our two latest have more energy than all the other cats I've ever had put together, at least past the kitten play stage. These two are a nuisance for attention and playing. Tommy Templeton has become Tommy Trouble-ton. But he's loved anyway. Get another kitten, two are not much more effort than one. Keep your eye out for the right personality before you adopt your 2nd. All my cats have been rescues. Dogs, too.

Fuzzy talks of his meowitzers and a keg of abs, enjoy: http://www.gocomics.com/getfuzzy/2013/05/17/

cat enemy

I'm really a 'Dog Person' but I like cats too

been looking after my friends cat ( pic drawn as a card to welcome her back from holiday )

my friend said 'if you want my cat to come to you use her fishy treats - she will go mad for them

not from me! the cat hid as soon as I entered...........even though my friend only lives in a small 2 bedroom flat I never saw the cat for days..........I searched but even now I have no idea where it was hiding

Mark L