• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The deer, parrot, or any other animal, thread

Wasn't sure where to put this, deer are obviously neither dogs nor cats. And a parrot falls absolutely nowhere within anything of anything. But...

I get to keep four young bucks and a mom and her Bambi as wild "pets", place I'm house sitting at at the moment has a whole bunch of them in the apple orchard. The deer are completely free and on the loose, but still very tame, once you see them up-close they are such majestic animals.

2yyqzqa.jpg

The parrot, well, that's a different story. (I tried to teach him some bad words, but after day 3 he is still only singing the same tune.)

334qat0.jpg

So let's have it, you weirdos! While not keen on reptiles I'm sure some of you are keeping them as pets.

Okay, okay, just for you cat lovers out there... I'm taking care of a couple outdoor cats as well while on this wildlife safari gig. One of the kitties is just outright feral, but she's very sweet. In this pic she's just waiting to be fed. :)

24p9p94.jpg

Update: Am not sure why the piccy of this lovely animal won't show up in this post. She's very cute, I promise. :(

But back to the latest love of my life now... this buck is just gorgeous! Wish I could take him home with me, right now he's just resting under the apple trees in the orchard.

2he8pvo.jpg

It's really fascinating for me to observe these deer, the bucks especially... their antlers aren't really symmetrical. How is this in any way aero? (As a completely unaccomplished cyclist I don't get this.)

Re:

the delgados said:
I look at the deer photos and think of one word: Venison.
Deer meat is awesome.
Maybe you should take one out and tell the home owners it got hit by a car.
Good eatin', I tell ya!

Methinks venison tastes rather primitive even after countless hours of preparation. Wouldn't bother with the stuff. Perhaps thats why its so cheap around here.

Anyway, TR, I do have some living creatures around here. A wild cat I took in as a kitten seems more like a cross between a natural born killer and a dog these days. Hitting 7 years soon.

There are plenty of deer around, but the area is hence off to protect the roses and other plants/trees.

Other creatures involves a handsome fox, at least two hedgehogs, many birds including owls, various frogs, bats, and an ants nest or two.

As I have a walnut tree, there are always squirrels around. Fighting and screaming.

Not really a fan of "domesticated" animals and the parrot situation.......

Re:

the delgados said:
Deer meat is awesome.
Good eatin', I tell ya!
Why, I NEVER! :mad:

But seriously, I don't mind hunting as long as people eat what they kill. (I realize culling is also necessary if the animals are diseased.)

The last time I ate venison (have been mostly vegetarian for decades now) I thought it tasted funky. It's an acquired taste, I suppose.

Re: Re:

Dazed and Confused said:
Anyway, TR, I do have some living creatures around here. A wild cat I took in as a kitten seems more like a cross between a natural born killer and a dog these days. Hitting 7 years soon.

There are plenty of deer around, but the area is hence off to protect the roses and other plants/trees.

Other creatures involves a handsome fox, at least two hedgehogs, many birds including owls, various frogs, bats, and an ants nest or two.

As I have a walnut tree, there are always squirrels around. Fighting and screaming.

I wasn't thrilled about the parrot situation either. He stays caged (which may explain why he gets so aggressive when you approach him), to me birds are meant to be free to fly.

Except for the ants the rest of your post sounds cool.

Tricycle Rider said:
Dazed and Confused said:

I wasn't thrilled about the parrot situation either. He stays caged (which may explain why he gets so aggressive when you approach him), to me birds are meant to be free to fly.

Except for the ants the rest of your post sounds cool.

The ants nest is located 12 feet from the corner of the porch, but they have never operated near the house as I can tell (outside of the occasional single investigating encounter). Harmless stuff.

Dazed and Confused said:
The ants nest is located 12 feet from the corner of the porch, but they have never operated near the house as I can tell (outside of the occasional single investigating encounter). Harmless stuff.
I guess it depends on the type of ant. My bro stepped into a red ant nest down in Texas once, he ended up in the ER due to anaphylactic shock.

The little black kitchen ants we get in my area I don't mind too much. (Just don't like it when they get all over any exposed food/fruit.)

Tricycle Rider said:
Dazed and Confused said:
I guess it depends on the type of ant. My bro stepped into a red ant nest down in Texas once, he ended up in the ER due to anaphylactic shock.

The little black kitchen ants we get in my area I don't mind too much. (Just don't like it when they get all over any exposed food/fruit.)

Not sure about the "type" here, but they seem non lethal.

Tricycle Rider said:
the delgados said:
Deer meat is awesome.
Good eatin', I tell ya!
Why, I NEVER! :mad:

But seriously, I don't mind hunting as long as people eat what they kill. (I realize culling is also necessary if the animals are diseased.)

The last time I ate venison (have been mostly vegetarian for decades now) I thought it tasted funky. It's an acquired taste, I suppose.

So I guess you don't want my quick and easy recipe for a truly great venison meal.
Fine, then. Saves you buying a rifle.
Maybe Dazed and Confused would be interested. I was given some venison along with a recipe a while back, and it was delicious.

No fishie keepers here? All righty then, I'll get the party started. (I know, I tried to do this in the doggie thread already.)

So, a couple of my goldfish had recently croaked in my 10 gallon fish tank... I'm thinking the ph-level of the water was all wrong. So my next three baby goldfish I had just adopted for 19cents each will be the next victims of my experiments... hopefully I'll get the water ph level right this time.

153uzhl.jpg

There are so many toys you can buy to keep track of the water ph level (wasn't even aware of this till now), this is only my first.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PU0W35K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Re: Fancy 2-tone squirrel

JayKosta said:
We've got a 2-tone squirrel in our area - I don't recall ever seeing one like it before. Any idea about how common they are?

See photo here - http://www.pronetisp.net/~jkosta/2_Tone_Squirrel_cropped.jpg

Sorry I couldn't get a better picture ...

Jay
Hmmm... never seen one of these before, it almost looks like a bunny with a squirrel tail.

It might just be some kind of a hybrid, maybe someone else here might know?

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Looks pretty squirrely to me.

And I don't think a squirrel-bunny hybrid is actually biologically possible.
I wasn't really suggesting a bunny could breed with a squirrel biologically, I merely said the picture looked like a bunny with a squirrel tail. Apologies if I wasn't being clear enough, as we all know this can happen very easily over the interwebs.

Right, moving on to some other type of animal now...

I've been wanting to clean out my little "Zen" pond in the back of the yard for a while now because the water is just filthy, however, this rather large frog keeps on preventing me from doing it. Anyone know what kind of frog this is and what her/his natural "living habit" is?

101352frog1527885063.jpg

TRENDING THREADS