• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Dog Thread

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Geee thanks for the good news..
Your welcome! :)
Seriously, I lived in the UK during the mad cow episode and remember it well. Feeding dead cows to cows turned out to be not so good. Infact the same is true of humans. Kuru is the name of the disease that effected the cannibals of Papua New Guinea. Very similar to mad cow disease. There was an urban legend going around of a bit of a flea/tick collar being found in dog food, whether it was true or not I don't know, but as regards to pets eating dead pets,
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pets-in-pet-food/
had a look into where dead pets go and came up with, "we can't prove this isn't happening." Also https://thealternativedaily.com/roadkill-and-shelter-pets-in-dog-food came to the same conclusion.
Bon appétit!

Good article about vets in the UK
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...hree-years-of-dog-ownership-never-trust-a-vet

If you want a terrifying insight into what privatised primary healthcare could look like, get a pet and find a vet. It is not just that veterinary care is expensive – it is all the upselling that comes with it. As with private human healthcare, you sense that the gravitational pull is towards selling you as much treatment as possible rather than the minimum that is sensible or necessary.

These people are fantastic.. They have treated all four of our animals. They are the vets that did the shoulder ball socket removal surgery on Roubaix and I think it was @6000-7000 Mexican pesos which at the time was @$300-350 US dollars.. They removed Ruby's toe which also was responsible.. They have never tried to up sell us..and I don't count them suggesting a slightly more expensive all in one tablet for fleas and ticks and something else.. maybe some kind of worms. In the US I was constantly throttled to do something and I always used the credit card because of how expensive everything is.. Rooob also has her toenails growing funny.. Having the one front leg and now minus a toe she needs her nails cut.. and I tried to do it at home but she goes crazy and acts like I am killing her. Also if you go too deep blood w start flowing and you need some kind of clotting dust..at the vet they do it as a walk in.. $100 pesos.. which is about $6 bucks it's done.. These people have been a Christmas gift every time I go there.. And if you live in Southern California it's worth calling ( they speak decent English) make an appointment and stay the night.. You can get a room for @$25-40 bucks and trust me it will be worth it. Friends from Orange County got dog neutered and the other one one got a check up..both groomed and it was a hundred and something dollars. I am sure that there are upselling vets here too..

Reactions: Tricycle Rider

These people are fantastic.. They have treated all four of our animals. They are the vets that did the shoulder ball socket removal surgery on Roubaix and I think it was @6000-7000 Mexican pesos which at the time was @$300-350 US dollars.. They removed Ruby's toe which also was responsible.. They have never tried to up sell us..and I don't count them suggesting a slightly more expensive all in one tablet for fleas and ticks and something else.. maybe some kind of worms. In the US I was constantly throttled to do something and I always used the credit card because of how expensive everything is.. Rooob also has her toenails growing funny.. Having the one front leg and now minus a toe she needs her nails cut.. and I tried to do it at home but she goes crazy and acts like I am killing her. Also if you go too deep blood w start flowing and you need some kind of clotting dust..at the vet they do it as a walk in.. $100 pesos.. which is about $6 bucks it's done.. These people have been a Christmas gift every time I go there.. And if you live in Southern California it's worth calling ( they speak decent English) make an appointment and stay the night.. You can get a room for @$25-40 bucks and trust me it will be worth it. Friends from Orange County got dog neutered and the other one one got a check up..both groomed and it was a hundred and something dollars. I am sure that there are upselling vets here too..
That's cool you're able to get some good deals south of the border. I'm still paying the occasional big bucks for Toby, but at least the vets always give me a choice. Like should we biopsy and then remove one of Toby's latest skin growths? Or should we just keep an eye on it? (At Toby's age I choose to just keep an eye on it, he's been through enough.)

-------

Related, but going back to Rob's article he had posted upthread, I think it can make a big difference whether one is a first-time pet owner or whether one has been at it for a while. First-time pet owners who aren't knowledgeable enough yet can absolutely be taken to the cleaners by the vets, so hopefully they do some research before acquiring said pet. Or even prior to a potentially expensive procedure new and seasoned pet owners alike can always do some research to see whether the procedure is truly necessary.

Armed with knowledge we shall defeat the evil vets! :D

Reactions: jmdirt
I think that it was kicked around a bit about food related issues and that in my experience is were the vet clinics have certainly fine tuned their business model. Dog or cat having digestive issues, allergies or something on their skin the vet can offer a specific diet for your member of the family right in the office. So you can walk out with some expensive food and you look like a putz if you act like you are going to shop around!!And for the record, Bahia clinic which I give high praise has multiple brands of Gucci pet food stacked high in the lobby!!

• Wow
I think that it was kicked around a bit about food related issues and that in my experience is were the vet clinics have certainly fine tuned their business model. Dog or cat having digestive issues, allergies or something on their skin the vet can offer a specific diet for your member of the family right in the office. So you can walk out with some expensive food and you look like a putz if you act like you are going to shop around!!And for the record, Bahia clinic which I give high praise has multiple brands of Gucci pet food stacked high in the lobby!!
I thought you were kidding but there really is Gucci crap for pets out there, must be for the rich socialite types. Ugh, as much as we love them a pet is still an animal, I doubt it'll know and appreciate the difference between a Walmart food bowl and a Gucci food bowl!

Crikes, just look at all this unnecessary garbage... I think this is more of the pet owners projecting their own feelings about luxury onto their pets, their poor pets have no say in it. :(

Last edited:
Ha ha ha Gucci Pet Collection ... unbelievable.
I remember in one of Cesar Milan's programs that he said, and used, that just a piece of rope works as a lead and collar. Worked fine.
As was said first time pet owners get fleeced before the penny drops and during Covid, a lot of people got pets for the first time. So many in fact, that it became a catch phrase of "Covid-dog" around these parts. It's a shame as many people don't seem to have a clue how a dog, in particular behaves and it's needs.

Ha ha ha Gucci Pet Collection ... unbelievable.
I remember in one of Cesar Milan's programs that he said, and used, that just a piece of rope works as a lead and collar. Worked fine.
As was said first time pet owners get fleeced before the penny drops and during Covid, a lot of people got pets for the first time. So many in fact, that it became a catch phrase of "Covid-dog" around these parts. It's a shame as many people don't seem to have a clue how a dog, in particular behaves and it's needs.
Despite the flour shortage I didn't mind when people got into baking all of a sudden at the height of Covid. But buying/owning a dog or cat there is a certain amount of responsibility involved indefinitely!

I feel so sad for all the pets that ended up in a shelter after the height of Covid, it's just heartbreaking.

Sort of an amusing update on Toby - I took him to the vet last week because I felt the cytopoint injections weren't really working anymore because he was still all itchy and rashy, and also, Toby seemed lethargic and was falling on his butt a lot. I thought it was just his age but...

After years of cytopoint shots we switched his allergy med to oclacitinib and, not only is Toby no longer itchy, but he is all energetic and acting like a puppy again. I don't know whether there's any coke or such in the oclacitinib, but next time I see the vet I'll have to tell her I'm very happy Toby's new med is working so spectacularly! (Maybe I should try it myself. :tearsofjoy:)

• Love
Reactions: sevenall
Good to hear about Toby get better! :)

France’s breakout literary-success of the year?
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...tory-life-love-grief-word-of-mouth-bestseller
The life and times of Ubac the bernese mountain dog,(all 45kg or 99ib) becomes a bestseller and probable stocking filler for Christmas in France.
3888.jpg

"Cédric Sapin-Defour, a sports teacher and mountain enthusiast, wrote the book, Son odeur après la pluie (His smell after the rain), not just as a tribute to the love humans feel for their pets but also as means of voicing the deep grief that can be felt after a dog’s death, when all that is left is a collar and hairs, and the house seems too big without them."

Seems to be only available in French at the moment.

My wife and I have two dogs, all of our dogs have been pound or rescue dogs, one is mine, and the other is hers; hers is a black wire terrier that looks like she put her paws into an electrical outlet and her hair remained that way! And mine is a Viszla.

Since we've been married, we have had 7 dogs, Golden and Brown Labs, a Golden Retriever, a German Shepherd, and a Wolfhound, yup, all were pound or shelter dogs. Of all the dogs we've had my Viszla has been the best dog we've ever had, either someone went to extremes to train this dog or he just is that way, but he's amazing, they are called Velcro dogs, and he attached himself to me from day one, that's been 3 years ago and he's still attached to me! Stupid dog!!! LOL!

He knows his place, whenever we have left food out accidentally all the dogs we've had helped themselves, sort of funny, but this Viszla won't touch it? We don't have to worry about leaving food out anymore, crazy, undog-like. He's extremely protective, but friendly if it's daytime and there's no stress, but at night he's much more alert, not in a stressful way, just listens to everything going on outside. We did have someone come into our yard about 3 A.M. a while back and he let out a couple of huge barks, I got my pants on and went out front, my dog was right beside me like he always does, we had our RV parked in the drive, so I went around the front of the RV, next thing I notice was my dog had went around the backside of the RV, and he wasn't barking or growling, but his ears and tail were straight up. The other odd thing about that event, we have an invisible fence, and his collar was on, it was shocking him but he just stood there looking down the street while being shocked and he didn't care, down the street was someone running.

If anyone has ever had a Vizsla here, let me know what you think of the breed and what your experience was, I never even heard of that breed before till we got him.

My wife and I have two dogs, all of our dogs have been pound or rescue dogs, one is mine, and the other is hers; hers is a black wire terrier that looks like she put her paws into an electrical outlet and her hair remained that way! And mine is a Viszla.

Since we've been married, we have had 7 dogs, Golden and Brown Labs, a Golden Retriever, a German Shepherd, and a Wolfhound, yup, all were pound or shelter dogs. Of all the dogs we've had my Viszla has been the best dog we've ever had, either someone went to extremes to train this dog or he just is that way, but he's amazing, they are called Velcro dogs, and he attached himself to me from day one, that's been 3 years ago and he's still attached to me! Stupid dog!!! LOL!

He knows his place, whenever we have left food out accidentally all the dogs we've had helped themselves, sort of funny, but this Viszla won't touch it? We don't have to worry about leaving food out anymore, crazy, undog-like. He's extremely protective, but friendly if it's daytime and there's no stress, but at night he's much more alert, not in a stressful way, just listens to everything going on outside. We did have someone come into our yard about 3 A.M. a while back and he let out a couple of huge barks, I got my pants on and went out front, my dog was right beside me like he always does, we had our RV parked in the drive, so I went around the front of the RV, next thing I notice was my dog had went around the backside of the RV, and he wasn't barking or growling, but his ears and tail were straight up. The other odd thing about that event, we have an invisible fence, and his collar was on, it was shocking him but he just stood there looking down the street while being shocked and he didn't care, down the street was someone running.

If anyone has ever had a Vizsla here, let me know what you think of the breed and what your experience was, I never even heard of that breed before till we got him.
Guy in bike club has a Vizsla. My observations, dog is smart, athletic, not nervous, has scary Kids tie Alley eyes, dries quickly after getting wet,is not greasy, doesn't scratch my vehicle when riding w my spaz,crazy dogs. Is not food aggressive.
All that said sounds like your wife's dog is better than yours because of the punk rock hair cool factor.
I feel like my dogs need a shampoo daily, recent rains have the entire house smelling like a new perfume by Armani..wet dog..

• Haha
Guy in bike club has a Vizsla. My observations, dog is smart, athletic, not nervous, has scary Kids tie Alley eyes, dries quickly after getting wet,is not greasy, doesn't scratch my vehicle when riding w my spaz,crazy dogs. Is not food aggressive.
All that said sounds like your wife's dog is better than yours because of the punk rock hair cool factor.
I feel like my dogs need a shampoo daily, recent rains have the entire house smelling like a new perfume by Armani..wet dog..
I was in the car with my Viszla in the back seat one night, a car pulled out in front of me and I hit the brakes hard, the dog went flying into the back of the front seat with a thump and landed on the floor, he never made a sound, just got back into the seat like nothing happened! Even after that he still wants to go for a ride in the car.

Yeah, the wire terrier does have that sort of punk look to her now that you mentioned it.

Buddy was in distress yesterday evening so I assumed that he ate something bad (he hoovers the ground inside and out). He wasn't vomiting and he pooped two normal times though. I gave it a little time to see if it would pass, but then took him to the emergency vet (our vet was closed). Inflammation/pain in his vertebrae/discs, but all bloodwork good. I assume that he jump off of the couch and landed wrong, or was playing too rough with one of his toys (his play is insane!). He's on pain and anti inflammatory meds, and low activity for two weeks. Hopefully that is all he needs!

• Sad
Buddy was in distress yesterday evening so I assumed that he ate something bad (he hoovers the ground inside and out). He wasn't vomiting and he pooped two normal times though. I gave it a little time to see if it would pass, but then took him to the emergency vet (our vet was closed). Inflammation/pain in his vertebrae/discs, but all bloodwork good. I assume that he jump off of the couch and landed wrong, or was playing too rough with one of his toys (his play is insane!). He's on pain and anti inflammatory meds, and low activity for two weeks. Hopefully that is all he needs!
Paw-fives from Toby (who is getting to be on more and more pain meds due to age-related arthritis and such), and from me a tummy rub and ,- get well soon, Buddy!

Paw-fives from Toby (who is getting to be on more and more pain meds due to age-related arthritis and such), and from me a tummy rub and ,- get well soon, Buddy!
I am sure that most older dogs are disappointed that they can't get tequila or whiskey out of the cabinet for arthritis pain!! Glad to know that there is some internal WD-40 that can keep the pups parts lubricated and working without pain..
Has to be satisfying to see the dog be able to get around better after some medication.

I am sure that most older dogs are disappointed that they can't get tequila or whiskey out of the cabinet for arthritis pain!! Glad to know that there is some internal WD-40 that can keep the pups parts lubricated and working without pain..
Has to be satisfying to see the dog be able to get around better after some medication.
Don't even think I haven't been tempted to dip into Toby's stash of tramadol (as an opioid even at the vet's it's now kept in a safe that only the vet has the combination to!) for my own age-related aches and pains, but being it's veterinary grade I've been able to relent for now. :p

But seriously, once the pet gets old and/or achy enough you just have to have some mercy and give the animal some pain meds that will actually provide some relief.

Forgot to ask, what pain meds is Buddy on?

Don't even think I haven't been tempted to dip into Toby's stash of tramadol (as an opioid even at the vet's it's now kept in a safe that only the vet has the combination to!) for my own age-related aches and pains, but being it's veterinary grade I've been able to relent for now. :p

But seriously, once the pet gets old and/or achy enough you just have to have some mercy and give the animal some pain meds that will actually provide some relief.
As we discussed several years ago, a med regimen gave my old Lab Belle another year of quality life.

Gabapentin for pain, Carprofen for inflammation. They gave him a methadone injection at the vet too.

Toby is currently on tramadol and carprofen to control the pain, but if he needs to go to the vet (or have me give him his usual bath), he's on the "cocktail" (is what the vet calls it) of gabapentin and trazodone just to keep him calm enough.

Whatever works, just keep Buddy away from jumping on the sofa for now! :hearteyes:

Last edited: