• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Dog Thread

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
And now a message from Toby:

Hi Buddy and the rest of the kennel,

I'm just chillin' in my dog fort, it's nice here in the summer. Don't know about this classical music I have to listen to, but otherwise I'm doing okay. Hope all of you are keeping cool and are drinking lots of water as well.

Paw-fives,

The Tobster

Toby is doing ok, thank you for asking, jmd.

He's just hopping around on three legs and seems as happy as ever, so I won't be hauling him back to the vet again. I gave him a bath earlier this week, I figure he's suffered enough.

The Chihuahuas I used to sit were both put to sleep a while back, they were getting old and sickly, so their owner had them put down. The owner is quite old herself, so she won't be getting any more dogs being she wouldn't be able to take care of them properly. While kind of a bummer I think it's the right decision on her part.

How's Buddy doing? I take it you're having some major interior work done?
No, exterior: new roof, lead abatement, rotten wood replacement, paint... (1910 house).

Poor Buddy, and you and your wife. Are you guys able to get away from all the noise at all?

1910 house... wow. Sounds like quite a project. I take it you're not able to DIY some of the stuff?
Its a two story house with several steep roof pitches so the roof was a pro job. The lead abatement was a pro job. Did I mention the two story thing, the paint was a pro job. I might have been able to do some of the wood replacement, but about half of it is, you guessed it, up high.

I did all of that stuff 20 years ago on my little (980 sqft) house, but this house is a different story, and of course I'm 20 years older.

So to answer your question, I am able, but just not willing I guess. Honestly, I would like to sell this house while all of this stuff is new, and buy a small townhouse that I just live in and someone else does everything! :)

Wee doggo (a Pom) had 3 shots in the arse yesterday for rabies, DHPP, & heartworm. 12 hours later, he's got no serious side effects from the shots, but his back end is really sore. He can't move too much without whimpering & can't lift a leg to go. Anyone know from experience how long the soreness might last? I've had large dog breeds in the past & never seen this sort of reaction, but this is my first go with a small dog breed.

Wee doggo (a Pom) had 3 shots in the arse yesterday for rabies, DHPP, & heartworm. 12 hours later, he's got no serious side effects from the shots, but his back end is really sore. He can't move too much without whimpering & can't lift a leg to go. Anyone know from experience how long the soreness might last? I've had large dog breeds in the past & never seen this sort of reaction, but this is my first go with a small dog breed.
I've seen dogs tender to the touch in the shot area for a few days, but not tender to movement. But like you, prior to the dog I got from the IHS last winter, all of my dogs have been 50-60 pounds.

From a quick Google:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/1689656-how-long-after-shots-dog-sore.html

https://dogshealthproblems.com/dog-limping-after-rabies-shot/

Reactions: on3m@n@rmy
Awwww, poor pup. :(

It's probably normal to have such a soreness after getting several intramuscular injections (even us humans might be sore for a few days after getting a flu shot), if your pup doesn't mind too much you might want to try to put a bag of frozen veggies (or a frozen steak) on the site on and off throughout the day. If you see any swelling or redness developing you'd definitely want to call your vet.

As for peeing he might want to do it girl-style for now, or maybe you could fashion some small-sized Depends for him if he truly can't go even when squatting.

Got any piccys of the pup?

PS - You might want to call your vet and ask if it's ok to give your pup some kind of a pain reliever to alleviate the soreness.

Last edited:
Reactions: on3m@n@rmy
We got pee pads today. He has used them before. It is really hard to see swelling cuz of his fuzz butt. But nothing else is swollen. The vet said if the face swells, has difficulty breathing, is vomiting, or has diarrhea that would be an emergency. So far so good in that he has not had any of those symptoms. We are having to put chicken broth in his water to get him interested (no appetite is one symptom) in drinking, and have a syringe to get him water that way if needed. The most recent (1 month ago) pic just after grooming to remove the long guard hair.
IMG-0817b.jpg

We got pee pads today. He has used them before. It is really hard to see swelling cuz of his fuzz butt. But nothing else is swollen. The vet said if the face swells, has difficulty breathing, is vomiting, or has diarrhea that would be an emergency. So far so good in that he has not had any of those symptoms. We are having to put chicken broth in his water to get him interested (no appetite is one symptom) in drinking, and have a syringe to get him water that way if needed. The most recent (1 month ago) pic just after grooming to remove the long guard hair.
IMG-0817b.jpg
Wait, isn't he that Pom that pretends to not like rolling around in the snow? :D

I'm sure he'll be okay, just give it some time. Just keep a close eye on him and pamper him like you've never pampered him before.

Paw-fives from both me and the Tobster.

Yes, that is snow doggo. I was up with him most of the night last night comforting him as best I could. Mostly just laid next to him on the floor (seemed more comfy than the bed). Gently stroking his forehead seemed to mesmerize him to sleep. Then I could doze off. After 29 hours he is finally improving. By tomorrow he should be getting around much better. He was literally at about zero guard doggo power, now is at about 25% power.

Not really looking forward to next month when I have to take him in for a baby tooth extraction. He will be put under for that. Ya, one baby canine tooth just never fell out.

My 3 leg dog..Roubaix( she goes by Ruby) also has struggles w injection sites. She will yip and yipe if you touch her. She does some funny things because of the missing leg ,she only lays on one side because she can't get up all that good when she uses her stump.
She randomly decided when her dog bed needs to be replaced. I had a local sail maker make a cushion cover for a 3in thick piece of foam that is the floor of her dog house.
I buy carpet remnants and because of the low cost it gives me lots of cost effective flexibility. I cut 2 or 3, 28x34 carpets..when they get dirty or she rips one up I can toss it. If the carpet survives her constant destruction I hit it w the hose and soap and she always has a dry clean place to rest or sleep. This week after a bath she went full shark attack,she shredded the carpet,ripped open the heavy canvass beyond repair and mutilated the foam into little chunks mostly tangerine or baseball size. She is unpredictable has only done this @4-5 times in @5 years.
Our relationship doesn't involve lots of training or reprimand or punishment.
She was named for coming from a rough road.

• Love
Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Wee doggo was doing really well Saturday running around the park. But he must have overdone it because he's relapsed today to being sore, stiff, & little painful although not as bad as last Thursday. Sigh
I was about to ask how snow doggo was doing, thanks for the update! Hopefully he'll mend soon if you can keep him calm enough. Which I know can be tricky.

My 3 leg dog..Roubaix( she goes by Ruby) also has struggles w injection sites. She will yip and yipe if you touch her. She does some funny things because of the missing leg ,she only lays on one side because she can't get up all that good when she uses her stump.
She randomly decided when her dog bed needs to be replaced. I had a local sail maker make a cushion cover for a 3in thick piece of foam that is the floor of her dog house.
I buy carpet remnants and because of the low cost it gives me lots of cost effective flexibility. I cut 2 or 3, 28x34 carpets..when they get dirty or she rips one up I can toss it. If the carpet survives her constant destruction I hit it w the hose and soap and she always has a dry clean place to rest or sleep. This week after a bath she went full shark attack,she shredded the carpet,ripped open the heavy canvass beyond repair and mutilated the foam into little chunks mostly tangerine or baseball size. She is unpredictable has only done this @4-5 times in @5 years.
Our relationship doesn't involve lots of training or reprimand or punishment.
She was named for coming from a rough road.
This strikes me as so funny, I can just picture this. Toby has fits too after getting a bath, but mostly he just runs and rolls around on the floor, presumably to get the fresh smell off and get the dirt right back on.

Dogs, you gotta love 'em.

Great name that Roubaix. But you might have to change it to something like Sir Sharky Roubaix.

Wee snow doggo is now at 100% guard pomeranian power. Two really good days in a row and is starting to get rid of certain fears he'd developed from the pain, like apprehension going up/down steps, making big giant leaps (like onto the couch), & being lifted out of the truck and so on. From the time he got the shots, it was 5 days of ups and downs. We've never had to board this tyke, but that is about to change. Trouble is, he is not shooting with blanks (he's got all his junk). So around here boarders do not take in non-neutered or non-spayed dogs or cats. The boarders said the other animals know he's not shooting blanks, and it makes them nervous or edgy. Too bad, he's about to lose them. :eek:

Thanks to all for the encouragement.

Great name that Roubaix. But you might have to change it to something like Sir Sharky Roubaix.

Wee snow doggo is now at 100% guard pomeranian power. Two really good days in a row and is starting to get rid of certain fears he'd developed from the pain, like apprehension going up/down steps, making big giant leaps (like onto the couch), & being lifted out of the truck and so on. From the time he got the shots, it was 5 days of ups and downs. We've never had to board this tyke, but that is about to change. Trouble is, he is not shooting with blanks (he's got all his junk). So around here boarders do not take in non-neutered or non-spayed dogs or cats. The boarders said the other animals know he's not shooting blanks, and it makes them nervous or edgy. Too bad, he's about to lose them. :eek:

Thanks to all for the encouragement.
Ouch, even though I'm a girl I had to cross my legs just thinking about it. It won't be that bad though, well, wee snow doggo will have to wear one of those ridiculous cones around his neck, but that's only temporary until the incision heals. If he absolutely can't get it off on his own I would recommend the inflatable type like Toby had, it's much more comfy than the hard plastic neck cones.

Great to hear he's better now! :cool:

Wee doggo boy made it through surgery (to de-neuter, baby tooth extraction that never fell out on its own, & teeth cleaning) last month just fine. He did not even need the cone of shame to prevent licking & infecting the area sutured. I only had to say "no lick" twice. Good boy, 10 of 10. This is him 5 days into recovery period of a 14-day long restrained period (no jumping, no running):

20191013-142634.jpg

High-centered with no nads? No probs.

Boy was he happy for day 15 when he could run and jump all he wanted.

This is his favorite duck toy:
20190930-172320-2.jpg

Unfortunately for him (not us humans), losing his jewels has eliminated his strong urge for this fav pastime:
20191001-144924-Trim-Trim.gif

Wee doggo boy made it through surgery (to de-neuter, baby tooth extraction that never fell out on its own, & teeth cleaning) last month just fine. He did not even need the cone of shame to prevent licking & infecting the area sutured. I only had to say "no lick" twice. Good boy, 10 of 10. This is him 5 days into recovery period of a 14-day long restrained period (no jumping, no running):

20191013-142634.jpg

High-centered with no nads? No probs.

Boy was he happy for day 15 when he could run and jump all he wanted.

This is his favorite duck toy:
20190930-172320-2.jpg

Unfortunately for him (not us humans), losing his jewels has eliminated his strong urge for this fav pastime:
20191001-144924-Trim-Trim.gif
Good to hear wee doggo is doing well after what sounds like quite a bit of surgery. And I would give it some time with his sex drive, even though Toby had been de-balled when he was just a pup he still liked to hump his favorite stuffed toys well into old age. (With his bum leg now he unfortunately can't indulge any longer.)

Has it snowed in your area yet? I expect wee doggo will be gleefully rolling around in the snow again.

Good to hear wee doggo is doing well after what sounds like quite a bit of surgery. And I would give it some time with his sex drive, even though Toby had been de-balled when he was just a pup he still liked to hump his favorite stuffed toys well into old age. (With his bum leg now he unfortunately can't indulge any longer.)

Has it snowed in your area yet? I expect wee doggo will be gleefully rolling around in the snow again.
forecast is possible snow by Wednesday, and 15 degrees by Friday or Saturday.:p

forecast is possible snow by Wednesday, and 15 degrees by Friday or Saturday.:p
Awesome! (Unless you have to travel in the snow, that is.)

Am looking forward to pics or vids of wee doggo once again becoming the one and only, the glorious, wee snow doggo! :D

On my end we're only expecting some ice the next few days, so while Toby loves to roll around in the snow there is no way I am letting him loose on the ice.

Buddy had a similar reaction to one of his shots that we discussed for one of the other pooches earlier. He was completely out of it for a full day and still off for another day, plus the shot area was really tender for a week. He's good again now though.

Ho ho ho!

As dog owners we know our dogs have their very favorite toys, unfortunately I had to throw out most of Toby's stuffed ones recently because they were so dirty and reeked so badly they stunk up the whole house.

One of his faves was this ladybug pillow I had bought for him years ago, don't even remember where I got it. So I frantically searched for an exact replacement (this is very reminiscent of that neurotic couple searching for "Busy Bee" in Best in Show), luckily I was able to find it online for a decent price. And the biggest bonus is it'll arrive tomorrow right before xmas!

I am so stoked, and I'm sure Toby will be, too. Well, once he tears off a few parts and customizes it to his liking he'll be stoked. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005WXS746/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyhoo, Happy Yule to you all, I'm sure there will be lots of food around. So keep your pets safe during the holidays and make sure they don't get into things they shouldn't!

Grrrrrrrr, guaranteed delivery my arse! :angry:

Toby's ladybug did not arrive in time for xmas, in fact, now amazon's tracking is saying it may not arrive till after New Year's. In fact, the tracking says the sellers didn't even drop it off at the post office in order for it to arrive on time, so I'm canceling my order with them and am going to try a different seller. So there!

Ladybug will still not arrive on time, but I got Toby a squeaking penguin as well as a present, so the penguin is keeping him busy in the meantime.

Why does Toby always go for the eyes and face first? I think that's rather macabre.

TRENDING THREADS