• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Dog Thread

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aww, I just found this thread and it is adorable.
Ever see videos featuring a soldier or a long-lost companion arrive at the airport and the awaiting dog goes nuts?
My friends own two dogs and we have formed a mutual admiration society. Whenever I meet them in the park the big guy pauses, recognizes and runs across the park and basically tackles me. It makes my day every single time, no matter what kind of mood I'm in.
I love dogs.
Dogs are awesome. Cats and other critters are fine too, but my first, true love will always be dogs. :)

h everyone....TR....great to see pic of tobes 'n hear he's ok......i'm with you TR as much as i
love cats i feel bond with dogs....pic is doodle of my 1st dog now much missed

wor pip is happy/greedy as ever out on sunny walks she is so endearing curling up with
people we meet who are sitting in grass.................this morning she was happy finding a
dropped meat pie....

Mark L

Dogs are awesome. Cats and other critters are fine too, but my first, true love will always be dogs. :)

I used to hate cats -- why would I get a cat that's just going to ignore me? I'm ignored by enough people on a daily basis. It would just make me even more depressed.
But then I moved in to an apartment that is dangerously close to restaurants and quickly realized it would be a good idea to get one. It was the right decision to make. I have a huge mice-phobia and I've only seen two in 16 years.
Plus, as an added bonus, the cats we currently have are the most adorable things. One acts like a dog and jumps on my lap, roles over onto his back and lets me pet his stomach until the guy falls asleep.
I don't know why I'm telling these stories, but whatevs; it's a pet thread, after all.

I used to hate cats -- why would I get a cat that's just going to ignore me? I'm ignored by enough people on a daily basis. It would just make me even more depressed.
But then I moved in to an apartment that is dangerously close to restaurants and quickly realized it would be a good idea to get one. It was the right decision to make. I have a huge mice-phobia and I've only seen two in 16 years.
Plus, as an added bonus, the cats we currently have are the most adorable things. One acts like a dog and jumps on my lap, roles over onto his back and lets me pet his stomach until the guy falls asleep.
I don't know why I'm telling these stories, but whatevs; it's a pet thread, after all.
No worries, I'm sure nobody minds your pet stories, at least I don't. Speaking of stories...

My neighbors went camping last month some distance away and took their hunting dog along, the dog got lost just about when they were going to head back home some 300 miles away. They stuck around and searched for her for two days (with the help of fellow campers), they finally found her walking in the middle of a highway. She was a little banged up and had some minor injuries, but she was so happy to see them.

Needless to say my neighbors were elated and relieved to have found their pooch, and I'm equally happy for them. Marley is such an awesome dog, I would have been just devastated if she had been lost forever and ever.

Thanks, TR!
That's a great story, one of which is good to hear these days.
I will never cease to be amazed how dogs can be trained to perform certain duties.
I'm not a huge fan of drug-smelling dogs -- go away! -- (I kid), but there is a special place in my heart for dogs who guide their blind owners.
I once met a blind person and almost instantly fell in love with her dog (she was pretty ok, too but I digress)
At that point I knew that guide dogs are not to be touched while on duty, but the three of us became friends and she let me take her dog to the park for play time and it was awesome to see the guy run around and fetch balls and be happy.

Thanks, TR!
That's a great story, one of which is good to hear these days.
I will never cease to be amazed how dogs can be trained to perform certain duties.
I'm not a huge fan of drug-smelling dogs -- go away! -- (I kid), but there is a special place in my heart for dogs who guide their blind owners.
I once met a blind person and almost instantly fell in love with her dog (she was pretty ok, too but I digress)
At that point I knew that guide dogs are not to be touched while on duty, but the three of us became friends and she let me take her dog to the park for play time and it was awesome to see the guy run around and fetch balls and be happy.
Guide dogs are super duper awesome, hopefully everyone knows not to disturb them while they are at work. (I always ask the owner first if it's okay to visit with their guide dog before I get all friendly with them.)

border collies are so popular where i live...clever dogs....a neighbour points out litter to her dog
who picks it up and trots to the nearest bin and places item in that bin

another dog is always listening for trains....when she hears one she races far into the distance chasing the train...returning a little later

wor dog is just clever enough to thrust her snout in peoples pockets...stealing treats!

Mark L

And now the moment I know you all have been anxiously waiting for -

I got Toby stoned on sedatives the vet gave me and gave him a really good bath, plus I was able to cut the rest of his smelly dreadlocks off. I wish the nail trimming had gone better, but I was at least able to trim 4 nails, which in itself is a major victory. The rest I'll just have to let the pros do, I just get too nervous and anxious I'll hurt Toby. Some visuals...

And now a word from Toby:

I have successfully survived another bath, not sure why my stupid owner even tried to trim my nails. That's just not gonna happen no matter how much she sedates me. I see Wout won the TOB though, I'm okay with that. As long as I got myself out of the nail trimming I don't really care who won.

Paw-fives to all (thankfully my stupid owner didn't manage to cut my paws off),

The Tobes

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt

pip has a visitor for a few days...my nieces dog hershey a coca-poo...my neice described him
as 'lovely but a 'lil naughty' which sums him up pretty well .....and he's noisy!

pip seems confused to have company and seeks my reassurance while remaining aloof....

one thing...pip is well more greedy ..devouring all the treats...and when i fed the dogs pip ate
both portions........................LOL! like her owner

Mark L

remembered i posted pic of hershey on earlier page ( there he was described as a friends dog
not my niece's ) one thing is sure though..he likes his treats..play..walkies

like many dogs ..it's a toss up..'very clever...or very stoopid'....he takes little notice of NO
....but sits nicely as soon as treats appear....

walking him we meet many other cocker-poos..since just before lockdown these have been the
'in dog' here in uk

Mark L

I must say that I am a Toby guy..sure there are other beautiful dogs here,but let's be honest..Toby is tops...ooops..strike that just saw recent Hershey photo..my heart is fluttering!!

across the street neighbor took 2 of litter of 7, Rottweiler mixes..both females..iron side gate..w @4in space between sidewalk and bottom of gate..the dogs as puppies are are in a constant state of playful curiosity and chaos..They started trying to wiggle under the gate..they were kept in the house until some chicken wire was installed..the chicken wire is effective unless someone is standing on the other side of the gate..they climb over effortlessly to start a party..the chicken wire was extended to 6.5-7ft high..doggy prison.
their other dog is 12 years old..in the company of the new pups he is recharged

remembered i posted pic of hershey on earlier page ( there he was described as a friends dog
not my niece's ) one thing is sure though..he likes his treats..play..walkies

like many dogs ..it's a toss up..'very clever...or very stoopid'....he takes little notice of NO
....but sits nicely as soon as treats appear....

walking him we meet many other cocker-poos..since just before lockdown these have been the
'in dog' here in uk

Mark L
It's true some dogs aren't the most clever, but eh, we love them anyway.

Btw., even though people have a way of making poodles look stupid with all the foofy haircuts and whatnot poodles can be wonderfully clever. :)

Just a poodle reference..I guy I used to share with his pets and family..had a Standard Poodle that followed us surfing,hiking and mountain biking..always being there and staying out of the way..dog can jump into any truck no matter how high the tailgate..Labrodoodles..look cool..non biters..small poodles..super small brain..huge heart and loyalty in spades..I have something good to say about most breeds..Dalmatians..not so much..and when Spurs Mackenzie was the rage..omg..no value..but most dogs have something to give

Outstanding news about Toby's nail trimming at the vet's...

Unfortunately I missed the sedative deadline (I was supposed to give it 2 hours prior to the visit, I managed to do only 1 hour [I hang my head in shame]), but Toby still behaved himself. I was waiting to hear some drama or trauma from him while sitting in the waiting room, but not a peep out of Toby while the vet and his tech were working on his nails.

So yeah, sometimes it's just better to have the pros do the dirty deed, at only $38 Toby (or any other pet) is worth it. :)

well done! TR glad to hear toby is sorted.....trimming nails is something that i would be nervous about.....and i'm sure if pip saw me waving clippers about she would be hiding

luckily living in urban area we take such long walks across pavement gravel paths etc pip's
claws are always short....apart from her dew claws which pip chews herself...

wet day here so cheering myself up with a couple of doodles...1st 'scary pip' a card ready for
halloween

Mark L

Roubaix(Ruby) my 3 legged dog has had a setback..on her only front tire,her outside toe and toenail became extremely infected. The vet tried a few antibiotics,and even after doing a culture to specifically target the type of infection. Didn't work.
She had to have her outside toe amputated. She is doing well..using a harness,we help support her to eat and relieve herself. Her tail is going and she is happy to use her back legs and the slight lift in the front has her doing a dog wheelie.
they will unwrap it today and we get to see her foot post surgery. Ruby is named for the rough roads of Roubaix ..she has had a rough road..I could have also named her Timex because she takes a licking and keeps on ticking..if there is such a thing as a survivor gene she has 2..

Roubaix(Ruby) my 3 legged dog has had a setback..on her only front tire,her outside toe and toenail became extremely infected. The vet tried a few antibiotics,and even after doing a culture to specifically target the type of infection. Didn't work.
She had to have her outside toe amputated. She is doing well..using a harness,we help support her to eat and relieve herself. Her tail is going and she is happy to use her back legs and the slight lift in the front has her doing a dog wheelie.
they will unwrap it today and we get to see her foot post surgery. Ruby is named for the rough roads of Roubaix ..she has had a rough road..I could have also named her Timex because she takes a licking and keeps on ticking..if there is such a thing as a survivor gene she has 2..
Hopefully things will turn out okay for Roubaix (love the name), fingers crossed, keep us posted!

On that note Toby is doing okay for his age, still hopping around on his three functional legs. He's taken to whining when he's left alone in a room... besides probably some cataracts I'm not sure what his vision is like, but his hearing definitely has declined, so I'm thinking he's probably feeling disoriented and maybe even a little scared. So he's become a whiny old senior, but we love him anyway.

That reminds me, Toby is due for a bath, thankfully the sedatives the vet had prescribed work like a charm. He walks around all wobbly and stoned when he's on them, but at least he doesn't throw a fit while he's in the bathtub.

The Roob is doing great..stiches are still in..she did a few days of pain meds but after 3 days she was walking. Our household problems are a few..keeping her inside 100% of the time, not that hard,even w her cone on she helps herself to dog Paydays out of the cat box..disgusting certainly, but both our dogs love them..!!yuck. Keeping her from going upstairs..little harder because that's her place..and the other problem is Max, a goofy golden,licking her stiches..he is trying to help but they have been living separated for the first time ever..they cry and bark to each other through the door..vet appointment tomorrow and stiches probably removed..we are all hoping

The Roob is doing great..stiches are still in..she did a few days of pain meds but after 3 days she was walking. Our household problems are a few..keeping her inside 100% of the time, not that hard,even w her cone on she helps herself to dog Paydays out of the cat box..disgusting certainly, but both our dogs love them..!!yuck. Keeping her from going upstairs..little harder because that's her place..and the other problem is Max, a goofy golden,licking her stiches..he is trying to help but they have been living separated for the first time ever..they cry and bark to each other through the door..vet appointment tomorrow and stiches probably removed..we are all hoping
Good to hear things are going well with Roubaix, please continue keeping us posted on her progress!

Weird thing some dogs really do like cat poo, must be the Fancy Feast or whatever the kitties consume. Maybe the dogs see it as a delicatessen? Who knows...

• Haha

TRENDING THREADS