• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Golf Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sorta makes the Senior's Tour look a bit irrelevant, no?
PM's victory isn't really surprising given the massive technological advances made in golf in recent years.
Amateur golfers over the age of 50 (myself included) can --on the very rare occasion; maybe once per round -- rip it 300+ yards down the middle of the fairway. Phil Mickelson -- one of the best players ever -- does it on a consistent basis. There is no need to be strong like bull when clubs and golf balls are designed to do the heavy lifting as long as you know how to swing a club.
Good for him, but I think victories like these will happen a lot more often in future.
P.S. What the hell was he chewing? He looked like a chipmunk.

Last edited:
I only caught bits and pieces of the US Open, apparently it was pretty wild. Thought it would be an old timer like Oosthuizen to win it, am happy for Jon Rahm, the first Spaniard to win the US Open and his first major.

The delayed ceremonial jet flyover afterward was funny - everyone was looking up at the sky and waiting in anticipation, I thought it would be something spectacular. Instead only a couple of jets finally flew by, it was rather underwhelming. :tearsofjoy:

Edit -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKF0WRLUwYM&ab_channel=LivinginthePast

Last edited:
Reactions: the delgados
Flyovers at a golf tournament. What the hell is that all about?
That ranks up there as one of the dumbest ideas ever conceived, especially considering residents of San Diego are surrounded by every aspect of military strength on a daily basis.
Especially cringe-worthy was watching the tournament winner wince while clapping as the jets flew overhead. It looked as though he was like "Ah, ok, I guess I've gotta go along with this. Maybe I should have finished second after all."

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Flyovers at a golf tournament. What the hell is that all about?
That ranks up there as one of the dumbest ideas ever conceived, especially considering residents of San Diego are surrounded by every aspect of military strength on a daily basis.
Especially cringe-worthy was watching the tournament winner wince while clapping as the jets flew overhead. It looked as though he was like "Ah, ok, I guess I've gotta go along with this. Maybe I should have finished second after all."
I think jet flyovers at sporting events are silly in general, but this one especially stood out. Like you said jets are nothing new to San Diego (even up here in Eugene we occasionally see a few), and given that they could only muster a couple, and they were late at that? It was like a flyover on a budget.

Jon Rahm handled it like a pro and a champ, you could just tell he felt like it was his duty to look impressed.

I am getting too worked up about this and promise to put this to bed after making one last comment about the frigging fighter jets flying over a golf tournament.
I don't know about you, but when I think about golf, I think about flowery things. You know, magnolias and birds singing in the trees and stuff like that. Not some fighter jet dropping bombs in some god forsaken war zone.
Maybe next time the genius's upstairs should launch a bunch of doves into the sky to celebrate the win. How about handing out bouquets of flowers grown in the region to the winner?
Anything other than sending the poor guy into therapy after achieving the greatest win of his life.
What were these guys thinking?
Enough from me.

I am getting too worked up about this and promise to put this to bed after making one last comment about the frigging fighter jets flying over a golf tournament.
I don't know about you, but when I think about golf, I think about flowery things. You know, magnolias and birds singing in the trees and stuff like that. Not some fighter jet dropping bombs in some god forsaken war zone.
Maybe next time the genius's upstairs should launch a bunch of doves into the sky to celebrate the win. How about handing out bouquets of flowers grown in the region to the winner?
Anything other than sending the poor guy into therapy after achieving the greatest win of his life.
What were these guys thinking?
Enough from me.
I am totally with you on that. Golf especially is supposed to be a quiet game, not sure what some noisy, military muscle-flexing jets have to do with any of it.

TR:
Check this out. Some rando walked up to the 10th tee and took a club and headcover out of Rory's bag at the Scottish Open. Weirdness ensues.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prswytRNHjE

Also, that Rahm guy is on fire. Today he shot a 29 (!) on the back nine at the same tournament. That is incredible.
That was really bizarre. At least the guy wasn't streaking and didn't seem like a violent threat to McIlroy, clearly security could have done a better job.

Will you be watching the Open this week? I'll try to catch some of it, there's just so much going on in sports right now. The Euro, Wimbledon, Stanley Cup, and US Senior Open had just ended, we're in the middle of the Tour, the Open starts on Thursday, and the Olympics start on the 23rd. What to watch and follow first...

I dunno, the guy seemed to me more of a threat than a streaker. Streaker's are probably hammered and trying to impress their friends by taking them up on a bet.
This guy was different. Like creepy different, if you know what I mean. Obviously he wasn't a threat, but I didn't get the impression he was trying to impress his friends by doing a silly gag. I got the impression he didn't have any friends.
I'm definitely looking forward to watching the Open, but not the Olympics. Too many people have dropped out and it seems the organizers are trying their best to make it seem like a perfectly credible event. I'm glad they're taking proper precautions to protect people's safety, but the whole thing is starting to ring hollow. (Ring. Geddit? Olympic rings? Sandisfan? You there?)

Reactions: jmdirt
I dunno, the guy seemed to me more of a threat than a streaker. Streaker's are probably hammered and trying to impress their friends by taking them up on a bet.
This guy was different. Like creepy different, if you know what I mean. Obviously he wasn't a threat, but I didn't get the impression he was trying to impress his friends by doing a silly gag. I got the impression he didn't have any friends.
I'm definitely looking forward to watching the Open, but not the Olympics. Too many people have dropped out and it seems the organizers are trying their best to make it seem like a perfectly credible event. I'm glad they're taking proper precautions to protect people's safety, but the whole thing is starting to ring hollow. (Ring. Geddit? Olympic rings? Sandisfan? You there?)
The Olympics will be really odd this year, but I'll still watch because Japan interests me. Don't know how much cultural exposéing they'll be doing due to Covid restrictions, but hopefully they'll do a lot fewer of those soppy athlete background stories. Crikes, I used to like them when I was much younger, but now they just get on my last nerve.

Okay, having said that, the Open round 1, here we go! Don't have any faves right now, we'll have to see who makes the cut.

Golf is such a difficult and unpredictable sport that I can't imagine anyone making serious cash in the gambling ring. Seriously, if you were to lay down $20, who would you pick?
Aside from Tiger back in the day (who was the closest thing to a sure bet as anyone ever), when was the last time the following names have popped into your mind: Jason Day; Adam Scott; Brent Snedeker; that Bubba guy; etc, etc...
These are just a few names that I think of off the top of my head, but if we were to take a look-see at the start list I'm sure there are many names that would pop out and serve as reminders that they were at the top of the sport not too long ago.
I'm trying to watch the Tour but my computer is driving me bat-schit crazy my konking out every few seconds. But yeah, next stop: The Open.
p.s. Let's look at the start list and pick a favourite just for kicks. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go for a European pro no one outside the continent has heard of.

Golf is such a difficult and unpredictable sport that I can't imagine anyone making serious cash in the gambling ring. Seriously, if you were to lay down $20, who would you pick?
Aside from Tiger back in the day (who was the closest thing to a sure bet as anyone ever), when was the last time the following names have popped into your mind: Jason Day; Adam Scott; Brent Snedeker; that Bubba guy; etc, etc...
These are just a few names that I think of off the top of my head, but if we were to take a look-see at the start list I'm sure there are many names that would pop out and serve as reminders that they were at the top of the sport not too long ago.
I'm trying to watch the Tour but my computer is driving me bat-schit crazy my konking out every few seconds. But yeah, next stop: The Open.
p.s. Let's look at the start list and pick a favourite just for kicks. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go for a European pro no one outside the continent has heard of.
I just checked the start list, sheesh, 139 players, many I've never heard of. I kinda took a peek at the Senior Open because many players I'm familiar with are now seniors... can they be in both? I could have sworn Lucas Glover just played in the Senior Open, but now he's playing the Open?

Anyway, my sentimental faves are Spieth, Sergio Garcia, and Paul Casey. But more than likely it will be Oosthuizen (if all else fails I always pick Oosthuizen), or some real dark horse like Atiwit "Jazz" Janewattananond who will win. It's just too early to tell, it looks like Martin Kaymer and Jason Day are really stinking up the joint right now, though.

Your faves?

O.K. after careful consideration (10 minutes), I have gone over the start list and have picked my favourite to win the British Open. Before I announce my pick I want you to know that I have not looked at the leader board. I originally listed six players as possible contenders including Gary Woodland. Remember him? That's right, he won the U.S. Open just a couple years back. Then I looked closely at Rikuya Hoshino. He is what many would consider an obscure player, but he had a decent showing at the 2021 U.S. Open finishing 26th. Not too bad, I thought.
But one name kept coming back to me. One name I just could not ignore. That's right, his name is Guido Migliuzzi and he is my pick to win the 2021 Open. Guido has not accomplished much in his professional career, but he is known as a long hitter who had a respectful showing at the 2021 U.S. Open. My hunch is Guido is about to emerge into the limelight and capture the Claret Jug (or whatever the hell they call it.)

O.K. after careful consideration (10 minutes), I have gone over the start list and have picked my favourite to win the British Open. Before I announce my pick I want you to know that I have not looked at the leader board. I originally listed six players as possible contenders including Gary Woodland. Remember him? That's right, he won the U.S. Open just a couple years back. Then I looked closely at Rikuya Hoshino. He is what many would consider an obscure player, but he had a decent showing at the 2021 U.S. Open finishing 26th. Not too bad, I thought.
But one name kept coming back to me. One name I just could not ignore. That's right, his name is Guido Migliuzzi and he is my pick to win the 2021 Open. Guido has not accomplished much in his professional career, but he is known as a long hitter who had a respectful showing at the 2021 U.S. Open. My hunch is Guido is about to emerge into the limelight and capture the Claret Jug (or whatever the hell they call it.)
Okay, so you're going with Guido and I'm going with Atiwit "Jazz" Janewattananond (have never heard of him), may the best poster win! :D

Okay, so you're going with Guido and I'm going with Atiwit "Jazz" Janewattananond (have never heard of him), may the best poster win! :D

Good news: My boy Guido finished the day t28 at 1-under par. Guido's time is coming very soon. Like, I'm talking within the next few days. Get ready. He tied or beat household named players and things are looking up for good ol' Guido.

It's so funny that you picked "Jazz" because I noticed J. Janewattanond was at even par and was going to make a joke about JJ nipping at the heals of my boy Guido. Imagine the two going into the final round as the last pairing. I would drain what little money I have and hop on the next jet to see that in person.

p.s. Although Guido's my guy, my sentimental favourite is the Canadian who is two shots back. I'm not a nationalist by any means, but I've got a soft spot in my heart for Canadian golfers.

p.p.s. I'm pretty sure the elders can play in the Open. It wasn't too long ago that Tom Watson, age 112, almost won the damn thing.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Good news: My boy Guido finished the day t28 at 1-under par. Guido's time is coming very soon. Like, I'm talking within the next few days. Get ready. He tied or beat household named players and things are looking up for good ol' Guido.

It's so funny that you picked "Jazz" because I noticed J. Janewattanond was at even par and was going to make a joke about JJ nipping at the heals of my boy Guido. Imagine the two going into the final round as the last pairing. I would drain what little money I have and hop on the next jet to see that in person.

p.s. Although Guido's my guy, my sentimental favourite is the Canadian who is two shots back. I'm not a nationalist by any means, but I've got a soft spot in my heart for Canadian golfers.
My boy Jazz is currently tied with Rory, so that's respectable. Rory is only on the 5th or 6th hole though, so things are bound to change.

No worries you root for Canuck players, btw., I was kinda bummed to find out Mike Weir is on the Senior Tour now. Aging sucks.

On a side note - are there actually 156 players, are they multiplying on the course as we speak? Thought it was only 139 players initially...

My boy Jazz is currently tied with Rory, so that's respectable. Rory is only on the 5th or 6th hole though, so things are bound to change.

No worries you root for Canuck players, btw., I was kinda bummed to find out Mike Weir is on the Senior Tour now. Aging sucks.

On a side note - are there actually 156 players, are they multiplying on the course as we speak? Thought it was only 139 players initially...

They are humping like rabbits between shots.

• Haha
TR: It is with heavy heart that I have to announce my boy Guido missed the cut at the Open. He went and gone poopy in the bed and shot something like four over par. Don't quote me. I'm still having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that Guido is going home.
On a brighter note, your guy JJ "Jazz" Janewattanound made the cut by shooting a second round score of 1-under par! Awesome! JJ Jazz is still in it!
Fingers crossed. JJ's got a chance!

TR: It is with heavy heart that I have to announce my boy Guido missed the cut at the Open. He went and gone poopy in the bed and shot something like four over par. Don't quote me. I'm still having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that Guido is going home.
On a brighter note, your guy JJ "Jazz" Janewattanound made the cut by shooting a second round score of 1-under par! Awesome! JJ Jazz is still in it!
Fingers crossed. JJ's got a chance!
Indeed, tragedy struck and your boy Guido had to go home. :( He's in good company though with J. Day, Kuchar, and especially Michelson. Michelson really stunk it up in the first round, it just shows how a bad few shots and you're out of the tournament. The pros make golf look easy.

Yes, my boy Jazz is doing okay, and I'm especially interested in how the couple of amateurs (Schmidt and Lin) will do. Perhaps now that Guido is out you could adopt one of them? I always like to root for the amateurs anyway...

I do not like Marcel Siem's hair bun. I don't mind men wearing the occasional Mr. Sensitive ponytail, but that bun is just too offensive. You could poke an eye out with that thing.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS