• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Grand 2022 Wollongong UCI Road World Championships Thread, September 18th-25th

Page 56 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Van der Poel would be an excellent companion to attack with from far out. He will commit fully and ride 100%. Then Evenepoel can easily drop him in the final lap, considering Evenepoel, unlike Van der Poel, doesn't fade away after a long range attack. It would be a much bigger problem if Pogacar joined him. He's not going to drop Pogacar 1v1 and he's not going to outsprint him either.

PS: Adrie's advice to Mathieu in case Evenepoel attacks: "Don't try to follow him." (click)
If Remco attacks everyone knows the right tactic is to get in behind WvA who will go all out to chase him down :p

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Is Cosnefroy an outside bet? Haven’t checked but if the odds are high I’d pick.
An outside bet - Powless. Pretty sure he will top ten.

Maybe not an "outside" bet but he is surely in the tier below the biggest favorites, at least.

Lets throw a couple of others riders into the mix. Why not Honoré? He seems to be in good form, finally, at the end of the season. Fred Wright is another that could be in the top 10, I reckon.

Van der Poel would be an excellent companion to attack with from far out. He will commit fully and ride 100%. Then Evenepoel can easily drop him in the final lap, considering Evenepoel, unlike Van der Poel, doesn't fade away after a long range attack. It would be a much bigger problem if Pogacar joined him. He's not going to drop Pogacar 1v1 and he's not going to outsprint him either.

PS: Adrie's advice to Mathieu in case Evenepoel attacks: "Don't try to follow him." (click)

Lol, he can't "easily" drop Van der Poel if he is at the height of his powers.

Usually I'm critical of people who type "why didn't they react/chase?", but in this case it was eye bulging shocking that no one in the front group even flinched. That's the race going up the road. True, it will be really tough to get over her, but that's the title rolling away! I'm sure their legs are spent, but at least stand up and fake it, who knows what can happen?! That being said, AvV probably wins no matter who reacts.

Star ratings from the big newspapers (no access to l'Equipe anymore, unfortunately)

Het Nieuwsblad:
van Aert
**** Pogacar, Matthews
*** van der Poel, Girmay, Evenepoel
** Cosnefroy, Alaphilippe, Hayter, van Baarle
* Cort, Bettiol, Wright, Powless, Küng

Gazzetta:
van Aert
**** Pogacar, van der Poel, Matthews
*** Evenepoel, Girmay
** Alaphilippe, van Baarle, bettiol
* Bagioli, Küng, Sagan, Laporte, Hayter, Kristoff

I really don't understand how you can give so many stars to Matthews. How is he going to win? Yes if he's good he has a big chance to be top 5 and has a shot at a podium, but winning? How exactly? Matthews is just going to be Matthews and wait till the big guns go and then there's always someone that's going to be faster than him.

Last edited:
Usually I'm critical of people who type "why didn't they react/chase?", but in this case it was eye bulging shocking that no one in the front group even flinched. That's the race going up the road. True, it will be really tough to get over her, but that's the title rolling away! I'm sure their legs are spent, but at least stand up and fake it, who knows what can happen?! That being said, AvV probably wins no matter who reacts.
That's just part of the problem, they shouldn't have put themselves in a situation where this could happen to begin with.
They even had 2 chances to get away but with only one working and the rest wanting a freeride to the finale , well to put it mildly they deserved what they got, more or less gifted the win to AvV. Sorry about Lippert though, she deserved more and the only one that really worked for it.
Mind-boggling .

I really don't understand how you can give so many stars to Matthews. How is he going to win? Yes if he's good he has a big chance to be top 5 and has a shot at a podium, but winning? How exactly? Matthews is just going to be Matthews and wait till the big guns go and then there's always someone that's going to be faster than him.
Only makes sense if you're giving stars based on chances of a good result rather than a win. Which is a silly way to give stars, of course.

TRENDING THREADS