• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Grand 2022 Wollongong UCI Road World Championships Thread, September 18th-25th

Page 88 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This finish reminded me of that Amstel Gold Race when Alaphillipe and Fuglsang were caught just before the finish after playing cat and mouse and almost stopping. It's not pleasant to watch. Skelmose was to blame here, as he was the strongest sprinter of the four. In the interview afterwards, he said that he couldn't be expected to take the initiative among the four in the group, but I think that's a wrong assessment. It was his first WC, yes, but the others were not exactly the biggest stars either (apart from Lutsenko who was exhausted). Skelmose should have attacked or at least pulled - he would still have been in with the chance of a medal in the sprint.

Last edited:
Doubtful Channel 9 had any clue of the gravity of the event they were covering. Also a failure of sports journalism.
For SBS its just a matter of funding. They're already paying for the three grand tours and the classics. They have already lost the A-League soccer plus the TDU and Cadel race. They are showing the World Cup soccer this year but that might be the next to go. Cam imagine how much that will cost.

an hour ago this was already the dumbest race i've ever seen and wow what happened since

This kind of nice race without radio pacers, of which now, unfortunately, is only experienced once a year, reminds me of the good time before Motorola team inventions, when the cunning often cheated the less cunning, and not necessarily the strongest who won.

Today we had both in one and it was a pleasure to watch.

These Remco solos are becoming boring. There is no suspense at all. As soon as he gets 3m of a gap, it's over. Especially when he is doing it against second and third tier riders in a break.
Anyway, congrats for the win. Fully deserved.

Imagine that group with that lead and exchange Remco for wout. It would have been the same, madness to let it get to that. They had 60k to sort it out and failed.

Remco was super strong though, what a great year for him

I think it was as late as the penultimate lap that they were still chasing, not for Zimmermann.
yeah, before the first Pogacar attack which reduced the gap to 1 minute or so. Arndt must have been a bit overconfident there, but it's not like Rutsch and whoever else was left would have been of any more use anyway. It was the last chance to bring things back together, and I can't really blame them for giving it a try.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Remco‘s winning average speed was insanely fast, again: 42.6 kms/hr!

He was very active, soloed the finale, and finished two and a half minutes in front of the Silver medaillist.

Comparable performance numbers by Remco to his numbers of LBL. Very impressive.

Also a lot of disappointing riders, today. Guys who prepared perfectly, but failed in the race.

Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
Remco‘s winning average speed was insanely fast, again: 42.6 kms/hr!

He was very active, soloed the finale, and finished two and a half minutes in front of the Silver medaillist.

Comparable performance numbers by Remco to his numbers of LBL. Very impressive.

Also a lot of disappointing riders, today. Guys who prepared perfectly, but failed in the race.
Same average speed roughly as the junior and u23 races. That's pretty normal as far as I can see, though the men had better weather conditions.

TRENDING THREADS