• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 292 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just like the men's team, then. Clearly they need to be much more proactive in recruitment in the U23 and junior scenes.
Partnering with Hagens Berman Axeon was the first step to try and remedy this, they've already got Hamish McKenzie heading there for 2024 (his second U23 season), before he probably heads off to Jayco for 2025.

I do agree though, they've really taken their eyes off the ball in regards to their own local talent. Groves was let go, they didn't get Plapp, Strong, Thompson, Pithie etc...

Just like the men's team, then. Clearly they need to be much more proactive in recruitment in the U23 and junior scenes.

Management has a good handle on the upcoming under 23 and Junior talents but have too often chosen the wrong Aussie or been outbid read Plapp - The under 23 level in Australia is currently crap because of the two year COVID lockdown which resulted in next to no racing in Australia, although the junior ranks are looking good - Anyway Jayco's investment in Mercx's development team and the Liv racing team should provide benefits in upcoming years.

Partnering with Hagens Berman Axeon was the first step to try and remedy this, they've already got Hamish McKenzie heading there for 2024 (his second U23 season), before he probably heads off to Jayco for 2025.

I do agree though, they've really taken their eyes off the ball in regards to their own local talent. Groves was let go, they didn't get Plapp, Strong, Thompson, Pithie etc...

Groves was not let go. They were outbid by Alpecin in a canny piece of recruiting - Groves is extremely frustrating because at this time in 2021 his second year as a pro he had no contract because he spent most of the year crashing and was at the last minute that he was offered a one year contract by Jayco - They were outbid for Plapp who was offered a serious amount by Ineos and UAE - Jayco know the talent available but they need better tools to assess the talent.

Yeah, but do you still pay him the Same before seeing him Back in Action after his Crash? You'd think that teams would be careful since Froome went füll Iron extortionist...
Definitively a good point, but I guess the fact Tao is 28 and Froome was 34 also comes into play here. One would think Tao has a lot better chances to make a succesful comeback.

In more women's junior road/CX related news, Lauren Molengraaf will apparently be joining FDJ - SUEZ in what might be part of a new relationship between them and IGW/Tormans, but might also just be a way for them to secure her teams for CX/road/MTB.
There was a rumour going around about her signing with Parkhotel Valkenburg/VolkerWessels, but I don't know if that was ever actually a thing.

View: https://twitter.com/FDJ_SUEZ/status/1704146935139991616

I had hoped that EF would refresh their roster for flatter races in this transfer period but their best signings seem rather climbing focused.

With Rafferty, Ryan and Nerukar they're adding a lot of exciting talent, though.

That's 5th neo-pro and Markel Beloki was rumoured as 6th. That's a lot of neo-pros for one transfer window. I wonder who's going to leave. So far only Cort is confirmed.

Reactions: Sandisfan
What? Did you just give Vaughters some credit? 😉
I give him a lot of credit for his negotiation skills. How he's managed to kill at least two teams and go through... is it two or three mergers now? And yet still he's able to retain overall control each time. It's genuinely really impressive. He's managed to persuade people he runs the cleanest team in the business while also at one time having the highest number of convicted dopers of any team at the top tier on his roster, and he's managed to convince a parade of sponsors to jump ship from other teams too. His powers of persuasion behind closed doors, at the negotiation table or his salesman pitches must be top notch.

I joke about how people still buy his snake oil after fifteen years plenty and can't believe there's still people out there who he's convinced to hang on his every word thinking he is some benevolent force in the sport that isn't out for his own gain, but that's something he's clearly very good at too.

Reactions: awavey
I give him a lot of credit for his negotiation skills. How he's managed to kill at least two teams and go through... is it two or three mergers now? And yet still he's able to retain overall control each time. It's genuinely really impressive. He's managed to persuade people he runs the cleanest team in the business while also at one time having the highest number of convicted dopers of any team at the top tier on his roster, and he's managed to convince a parade of sponsors to jump ship from other teams too. His powers of persuasion behind closed doors, at the negotiation table or his salesman pitches must be top notch.

I joke about how people still buy his snake oil after fifteen years plenty and can't believe there's still people out there who he's convinced to hang on his every word thinking he is some benevolent force in the sport that isn't out for his own gain, but that's something he's clearly very good at too.
It's that MBA from DU. As powerful as their hockey program. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: Libertine Seguros
Geoghegan Hart looked very strong this spring. Seemed to have made a major step up, even compared to when he won the Giro. I think he has the potential (in fact I can't for the life of me understand why Ineos let him go).
I think there's something going on at Ineos that isn't yet apparent, not necessarily related to rider performance.

I agree that Tao was looking great until disaster struck at the Giro. But he's also been a little inconsistent and maybe Ineos didn't trust him as a protected rider.

Does anyone know exactly what happened to his hip?

Reactions: xo 1 and Sandisfan
Well earned step up though.

Could just be that EF offer a bit more freedom, though it does seem like Vaughters has a pretty good scout within the British domestic scene and teams with them also picking up Rootkin-Gray and also having picked up Healy from Trinity a few years ago too.

It's not like you need a brilliant scout to spot these guys. They are/were all pretty well known.

Well earned step up though.

Could just be that EF offer a bit more freedom, though it does seem like Vaughters has a pretty good scout within the British domestic scene and teams with them also picking up Rootkin-Gray and also having picked up Healy from Trinity a few years ago too.
I mean scouting hasn't been a problem with Vaughters over the last decade, getting the most out of riders and keeping them, well that's another story...

In more women's junior road/CX related news, Lauren Molengraaf will apparently be joining FDJ - SUEZ in what might be part of a new relationship between them and IGW/Tormans, but might also just be a way for them to secure her teams for CX/road/MTB.
There was a rumour going around about her signing with Parkhotel Valkenburg/VolkerWessels, but I don't know if that was ever actually a thing.

View: https://twitter.com/FDJ_SUEZ/status/1704146935139991616
I always thought she'd end up at Alpecin, as she regularly features on Puck's GoPro course rides - a recent one calling the Japanese groupset manufacturer 'Shitmano'.
But it's an interesting move, riding for 3 different teams.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
I always thought she'd end up at Alpecin, as she regularly features on Puck's GoPro course rides - a recent one calling the Japanese groupset manufacturer 'Shitmano'.

Due to the PV rumour, which both PCS and FC had fallen for, I was thinking she would end up at SD Worx in a few years, but that can of course still happen.
But yeah, with her and Puck's relationship in mind, it would have made perfect sense for her to go to Alpecin/Fenix-Deceuninck instead.

The Roodhooft brothers have signed Xaydée Van Sinaey to their CX family, and I assume she's going to ride for them on the road as well.

To be honest I don't really think it matters much for which teams they ride... remember Puck and Lauren have never been on the same team, yet spend a lot of time together.