• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Great Grand-Tour-Game 2011

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Prediction Game for the Giro, TdF and Vuelta 2011.
The winner will receive 50 USD. If this is not allowed (i accept the rules of cyclingnews.com) the winner will virtually be awarded this: :)

midnightgold-moet-chandon.jpg

The rules: After the Giro, the first 16 in the rankings will advance (allowed) to predict the TdF.
The Top-8 after the TdF advance to the Vuelta-Prediction.
After each GT the points start again at zero for each player. That means once a player is qualified, he has the same chance to win the competition. No reasons to give up. Just reach the "playoffs"... :)

The prediction must be send to me via PM until latest 48 hours before the 1st Stage (Prologue) of the given GT. So for the Vuelta a Espana the deadline is 19.02 CET on Thursday, August 18th, 2011. If a player stops the game, even tough he qualified for the next round, the next best will advance. He will be contacted by me no later than 24 hours before the given GT-Start.

To be predicted: Winners of each stage and the Top-20 of the Final-CG.
Max. predicted stage wins for one rider are 3.

Entrees: (total points scored)
1. Hartog (62)
2. mortand (58) GRAND PRIX WINNER
3. lancaster (57)
4. Sasquatch (56)
5. boomcie (54)
6. The Amateur (53)
7. Sylvester (53)
8. FoxxyBrown1111 (53)
9. The Hitch (38)
10. Ferminal (36)
11. aarnold517 (35)
12. Kazistuta (34)
13. Greenflame (34)
14. Armchair cyclist (33)
15. Timmy-loves-Rabo (33)
16. dlwssonic (31)
17. User Guide (19)
18. AntonioRossi (19)
19. Cobblestoned (18)
20. jobiwan (18)
21. minessa (17)
22. Michielveedeebee (17)
23. luckyboy (17)
24. Eric8-A (16)
25. Tuarts (16)
26. bohino11 (15)
27. Moondance (15)
28. nvpacchi (15)
29. jraama (14)
30. Walkman (14)
31. Nicoper (13)
32. More Strides than Rides (13)
33. JA.Tri (11)

Stats and Final-Standings after the Vuelta
Overview of Stage-Picks for the Vuelta
Overview of Top-20-Picks for the Vuelta

Stats and Standings after the TdF
Overview of Stage-Picks for the TdF

Stats and Standings after the Giro
Overview of Stage-Picks for the Giro
Overview of Top-20-Picks for the Giro

Points: 1 for each correct predicted Stage/Prologue-Winner.
1 for every predicted Top-20-Finisher.
1 additional Point for the correct predicted Place in the Final-CG.
To make the game more exciting: If the predicted rider comes from a Wild-Card-Team, the points are doubled. That means not everybody will predict Cavendish as Stage-Winner of Flat-Stages (at least i hope so).

Example:
a.) Roman Kreuziger finishes 12th in the TdF. Player A predicted him as 20th. Player A will receive 1 point.
b.) Same result, but Player A predicted Roman Kreuziger to finish 12th. He receives 2 points.

Tie-Breakers:
1. Most combined points of all GT´s.
2. Most correct stage wins predicted.
3. Most predicted Top-20-Finishers.
4. "Off-Score" (Explanation: See Post #3)
5. a.) Highest placed (correct) predicted Top-20-Finisher.
... b.) 2nd highest placed (correct) ...
... c.) 3rd highest placed (correct) ...
... d.) ... highest ... etc.
6. Most correct stage wins predicted from WC-Teams.
7. Most predicted Top-20-Finishers from WC-Teams.
8. Most (correct) predicted Top-20-Finishers from WC-Teams.
9. Coin toss (i think the chance for that to happen is 1: 10 Mio.+).

If predictions come early and a predicted rider will not race (please confirm it then with a link) the GT (because of injury etc.), the Player can change (only) this certain rider with another up to 48 hours before the 1st stage.

Specific topics which were not in my mind at the Start are discussed in Post #3 (for example Rider names)

Cheers...

P.S.: To guarantee a fair game for everybody, only members of cyclingnews.com who registered no later than March 2011 are allowed to compete. I hope the reasons are clear.
Finally: Since i´ll manage the game, i´ll automatically advance to each next round as "Wildcard" if not qualified by points. The field then would be 16+1 respectively 8+1. But i would not be allowed to win the Grand Prix. I think that´s fair, right!?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Explanation of the "Off-Score" (i think i heard that before... LOL):
Counted are each players picks who made the Final-Top-20.
Example:
Player A picked 3 Top-20-Riders (Kreuziger at 10th, Rujano at 13th, Dupont at 18th)
Player B picked 3 Top-20-Riders (Kreuziger at 8th, LeMevel at 12th, Rujano at 19th)
The Final-Top-20 were; 5th-Kreuziger, 6th-Rujano, 7th- LeMevel, 15th Dupont.
The Off-Score for Player A is; 15
The Off-Score for Player B is; 21 = Player A wins the tie breaker
-------------------------------
When you send the picks, please use the real names. I am not used to all riders nicknames. And pls take care of brothers. The Schlecks are obvious, but there are also the lesser known Masciarellis. So send the picks, if possible, with pre- and surnames like "Joaquin Rodriguez". Thanks.
The Vuelta WC-Teams are:
Andalucia,
Cofidis,
Geox,
Skil
About results:
Official Stage results for the Race-Day count. Disqualifications after will not influence or change the results.

Example:
a.) Cav wins sprint stage, gets disqualified by the UCI because of an unfair sprint, 2nd-Place-Finisher like Farrar is announced as winner = Farrar counts as Stage-Winner in this Game.
b.) DiLuca wins Mountain-Stage, gets disqualified 3 Months later by whatever reasons; DiLuca is still counted as Stage-Winner in this Game
c.) Barredo wins the last stage and the TdF-Overall, gets disqualified 2 days after and results are changed immediately by UCI = Barredo does not count as winner in this Game.
d.) Petacchi wins 2nd stage, gets disqualified by the UCI after Stage 17 and his results from stage 2 are removed officially while the TdF is still running = Petacchi is not counted as the winner of stage 2.
Picks can be send as early as now, because if a rider don´t start, predictions for this certain riders can be changed (see above).

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
If it's max 32 contestants, will there be a sign up procedure?
If so, count me in :)

SO you have to send all stage winners before the thing starts? Maybe have a max 3 stages per rider rule or something?
Otherwise TDF predictions still may look like: CANC-CAV-CAV-CAV-CAV-CAV-CAV-AC-AC-AC-AC-CANC-CAV

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
SO you have to send all stage winners before the thing starts? Maybe have a max 3 stages per rider rule or something?
Otherwise TDF predictions still may look like: CANC-CAV-CAV-CAV-CAV-CAV-CAV-AC-AC-AC-AC-CANC-CAV

Good idea. I am open for this. So max. 3 stage wins can be predicted for one rider.

Yes, all stage winners have to be predicted before the start of the given GT. Otherwise it would get to complicated.

This sounds like a great game, and I would love to participate, although I'd rather wait for a more definitive roster for Giro starters, since submitting picks now would be to a large extent based on what we speculate the teams might be, since only a handful of teams have confirmed their entire line-up. That will save everyone involved from the administrative clusterfcuk of changing their picks many times over as assumed starters drop out, or unexpected ones take part.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
mortand said:
Yay - another great occasion to waste precious time. Count me in!

You are in. And made me laugh, because you are right. But still better than working ;)

Moondance said:
This sounds like a great game, and I would love to participate, although I'd rather wait for a more definitive roster for Giro starters, since submitting picks now would be to a large extent based on what we speculate the teams might be, since only a handful of teams have confirmed their entire line-up. That will save everyone involved from the administrative clusterfcuk of changing their picks many times over as assumed starters drop out, or unexpected ones take part.

OK, no problem. Send it later. It´s still 18 days time.
I have not done my picks either. Just know there will be plenty of mountain stages = many different winners in this years Giro.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Good idea. I am open for this. So max. 3 stage wins can be predicted for one rider.

Yes, all stage winners have to be predicted before the start of the given GT. Otherwise it would get to complicated.

Cool. Gonna wait for Trentino and Romandie before doing Giro predictions though.
Thanks for organizing this!

TRENDING THREADS