• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Mads Pedersen is Danish and Absolutely no other Nationality Thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What Nationality is Mads Pedersen?

• Dansk

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Danish

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Dänisch

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Danés

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Danois

• Danese

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Deens

• Danska

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters
First or second in a third of the stages at the Vuelta, as a non-climber. That's rare - six has happened every few years, but seven? Don't think that's happened since the Vuelta moved to late summer.
I was super impressed with the way he stayed within himself and climbed at his level( which is super awesome) and rode a great Vuelta..I think Mads and others are tossing old overused labels..kind of all the sudden larger riders w drag race power and not get destroyed or dropped on moderate days of climbing
. I respect what a high quality,intelligent rider knows about his peers..riders who don't go to worlds because they don't feel it are showing respect for their country and federation by not wasting the money and riding for a miracle result..at worlds no award for participating

Reactions: Sandisfan
So, his 2022 season stopped after the Vuelta? A bit early. If you feel that you're losing strength after some good results, I perfectly understand, but it seems he has halted his season while he was peaking. Admittedly, he has had a busy year, and is still in the top 10 of riders with most race days.

Last edited:
He's
DeutscheDogge1.jpg

So, 4th. That's pretty good. He did make it pretty clear before the race - and as early as the beginning of the year - that after his string of bad luck, his primary aim was just to ride the finale.
Actually a great performance by Pedersen. If he had done something similar in either RVV or PR in several of the versions in the mid 2010s, I think he would have won at least one of the races. But today the competitors is just one or two levels up.

No matter how much weight he sheds, it looks like there will always be a climb or pavé where he can get dropped like a stone by the best riders (not that there's any shame in that).

A pity that he was badly positioned on Haveluy à Wallers, cause perhaps he could have podiumed if he had made it into the group from the start. But he can still be quite happy with his consistency during the first months of the season, and if he starts the Giro in good shape, he'll have a pretty good chance of winning a stage.

Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
No matter how much weight he sheds, it looks like there will always be a climb or pavé where he can get dropped like a stone by the best riders (not that there's any shame in that).

A pity that he was badly positioned on Haveluy à Wallers, cause perhaps he could have podiumed if he had made it into the group from the start. But he can still be quite happy with his consistency during the first months of the season, and if he starts the Giro in good shape, he'll have a pretty good chance of winning a stage.
Has he shed weight? I wonder if he were to change teams, say if he went to Jumbo, if he 'd be able to take another step. Look at Laporte, i feel Pedersen intrinsically is the bigger natural talent, but Laporte has probably been more successful since moving to Jumbo. Not sure Trek is the team that gets the full potential out of their riders.

• Wow
Given the pressure that some people put on him before the race (danish journalists and experts), a 4th like this with no shot of following should be very disappointing. 5 star favorite is 5 stars, and he really didn't live up to that.

Funnily enough, everyone was happy and all smiles are he finished 4th though. Probably not a 5-star favorite with two monsters in the race anyways.

A rider like him can win some monuments in an easier era (look at Kristoff/Degenkolb), but man oh man is it hard seeing him winning against this lot.

Given the pressure that some people put on him before the race (danish journalists and experts), a 4th like this with no shot of following should be very disappointing. 5 star favorite is 5 stars, and he really didn't live up to that.

Funnily enough, everyone was happy and all smiles are he finished 4th though. Probably not a 5-star favorite with two monsters in the race anyways.

A rider like him can win some monuments in an easier era (look at Kristoff/Degenkolb), but man oh man is it hard seeing him winning against this lot.
Roubaix was won by Van Baarle only last year, the dominance of this few riders shouldn't last the entire era I don't think.

I don't remember where the elastic snapped when Wellens was pulling in Sanremo, but a Sanremo or Roubaix without tailwind should have some chances for him.

Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
Has he shed weight? I wonder if he were to change teams, say if he went to Jumbo, if he 'd be able to take another step. Look at Laporte, i feel Pedersen intrinsically is the bigger natural talent, but Laporte has probably been more successful since moving to Jumbo. Not sure Trek is the team that gets the full potential out of their riders.

I guess he isn't exactly a skeleton yet, so there is of course a chance he could improve by moving to JV. But I'm not sure their way of doing things suits him, and the difference between them and Cofidis should also be bigger than the one between them and Trek, although I agree that Trek isn't the best team either.

If he had had better support in the crucial moments yesterday, then that could probably also have improved his chances.