• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Most Devastating Attack

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Hmm.. trouble is, all i can think of is Vino, Ricco, and Landis.. :D

Not an attack, but the only time I've actually shouted at the TV in awe that I can remember was that side on view on the Champs this year when Petacchi was sprinting and then suddenly Cav shot passed as if he had a jet engine on.

The other one that springs to mind was Indurain's in 1995 (the Bruyneel wheelsucking one), partly as it was such a great display of power and partly because it was so unexpected.

Cobblestoned said:
When Vino attacked at the worlds 2009, cold sweat was running down my back.

i aged five years that day.

Hoop Dogg said:
I forget the year and whether is was Beltran or heras, but the year at the bottom of alpe d'huez when the blue train dropped the hammer and the bunch went from about 70 dudes to 5 in about 200 metres. Lance said later on that it was a miscommunication and he was starting to think he was gonna get dropped by his own teammates IIRC?

oh you really shouldn't mention that.now i have to watch these two beautiful videos all over again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-y38WZAtgc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-wJ3fuVzs&feature=related

the good old days when the legends were riding like demons.damn i miss those days.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if this one has been mentioned but an older Sean Kelly at MSR in 1992 has always been on of my favorites. Pulling away from the chase pack on the descent of the Poggio and then catching Argentin, who had topped the Poggio with a 15 second lead. Finally, he beat Argentin in the sprint. Simply brilliant attacking and riding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL3jQmkj3uI

The_Z_man said:
Carlos Sastre on Alpe D'Huez in 2008. You could see that one coming from a mile away. Perfectly timed, and nobody could react.

For that, Gilbert at Lombardia '09 is the best. On Eurosport Magnus Backstedt was saying "He's going to attack after this next corner. If he wants to win, he has to go then, so everybody in the group is watching Philippe Gilbert". And indeed they were. And they got to the next corner, and Gilbert went, exactly as predicted, but none of them could do a thing about it.

Libertine Seguros said:
For that, Gilbert at Lombardia '09 is the best. On Eurosport Magnus Backstedt was saying "He's going to attack after this next corner. If he wants to win, he has to go then, so everybody in the group is watching Philippe Gilbert". And indeed they were. And they got to the next corner, and Gilbert went, exactly as predicted, but none of them could do a thing about it.

Sammy Sanchez begs to differ.

The Montelupone (Wolf Mountain):
montelupone_medium.jpg

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Hoop Dogg said:
I forget the year and whether is was Beltran or heras, but the year at the bottom of alpe d'huez when the blue train dropped the hammer and the bunch went from about 70 dudes to 5 in about 200 metres. Lance said later on that it was a miscommunication and he was starting to think he was gonna get dropped by his own teammates IIRC?

Hell yes. The trees were going by like they were all on motorcycles. Fuc*ing flying!

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
It would be mad to see what was going on in triki's head... "what?? U want me to go FASTER?? Oh well here comes the pain BOOM!!!

Even though he didn't win, I'll nominate cancellara at the Beijing rr. Even being an Evans fan, I was standing up willing Spartacus to bridge and take em in the sprint. So much power!

Hoop Dogg said:
Even though he didn't win, I'll nominate cancellara at the Beijing rr. Even being an Evans fan, I was standing up willing Spartacus to bridge and take em in the sprint. So much power!

Yeah, when that camera whipped around and all of a sudden he was right there? Holy crap, that was one of the most exciting moments of the last few years.

Mar 11, 2009
www.fiddy.com
Andrei Tschmil going off the front in the 1994 Paris Roubaix and soloing to victory. He kicked the crap out of everyone and even pulled a sweet bunny-hop over a traffic island.