• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Most Powerful Person In Sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
Nope, not Lance. Try Peyton:

Businessweek Power 100

Lance comes in at #8, between Drew Brees and Albert Pujols.

Wait, what about all those SI covers and ESPY Awards?

...fools!...the correct answer is blutto...and then its a sprint finish for second between Cobblestoned, Polish and flicker...and the peloton is minutes behind...

Cheers

blutto

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Sanitiser said:
In America.

best point. Stars selling and raising money world wide..I am not sure where Lance falls but Pojols, Brees and Manning are not getting close to world wide appeal and revenue...maybe Manning should tweet a punt,pass and kick in Melbourne just to be sure

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
blutto said:
...fools!...the correct answer is blutto...and then its a sprint finish for second between Cobblestoned, Polish and flicker...and the peloton is minutes behind...

Cheers

blutto

Aren't those all the same people?

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Aren't those all the same people?

...well not really, but I can see why one could make that mistake...after-all we do look alike...tall, dark, devilishly handsome and wicked fast on a bike...and we all have dedicated our lives to fighting for truth and goodness and against evil and badness and so on and so forth...

...that being said, we are different too...like individuals and stuff...

...thank you, thank you very much, eh....

Cheers

blutto

I think there needs to be a distinction made here.

The pro-Armstrong crowd is fond of touting Lance not only as the most "popular" (famous/infamous/well known) cyclist in the world, but also as a very powerful individual here in the States. The rankings provide more of a measure of Lance Armstrong the star thlete here in the US, where he faces a court of public opinion, and possibly a court of a more serious nature as well.

According to the article, the methodology was as follows: "An athlete's ranking is comprised of on-field attributes (50 percent) and off-field attributes (50 percent) to develop an overall ranking."

Further, the off-field attributes were comprised of:

OFF-FIELD ATTRIBUTES

The off-field attributes comprise an athlete's expected endorsement potential (80 percent) and endorsement earnings (20 percent). The endorsement potential comes from E-Poll's N-Score, which measures an athlete's name awareness, appeal, influence, trustworthiness, overall popularity, and a number of other attributes. Endorsement data is estimated by industry experts based on comparable athletes

So just how much power and influence OUTSIDE cycling does Armstrong really have?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Commissioner of the NFL. Owner of New York Yankees. Owner of (fill in most valuable Soccer franchise). Commissioner of the NBA.

The players are fodder, the big guys don't even play sports.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
I think there needs to be a distinction made here.

The pro-Armstrong crowd is fond of touting Lance not only as the most "popular" (famous/infamous/well known) cyclist in the world, but also as a very powerful individual here in the States. The rankings provide more of a measure of Lance Armstrong the star thlete here in the US, where he faces a court of public opinion, and possibly a court of a more serious nature as well.

According to the article, the methodology was as follows: "An athlete's ranking is comprised of on-field attributes (50 percent) and off-field attributes (50 percent) to develop an overall ranking."

Further, the off-field attributes were comprised of:

So just how much power and influence OUTSIDE cycling does Armstrong really have?

....whoa!!!!....you just applied the term methodology to sports journalism, a field that stands as one of the great oxymorans of all time...the mind reels...

...that contravenes at least several Geneva Conventions...and probably much more...like go recalibrate your moral compass or something...

Cheers

blutto

blutto said:
....whoa!!!!....you just applied the term methodology to sports journalism, a field that stands as one of the great oxymorans of all time...the mind reels...

...that contravenes at least several Geneva Conventions...and probably much more...like go recalibrate your moral compass or something...

Cheers

blutto

So, now every article written on the subject of sports, including one appearing in Bloomberg Businessweek and written by this guy is flippantly dismissed as "sports journalism".

Talk about losing one's compass...

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
Nope, not Lance. Try Peyton:

Businessweek Power 100

Lance comes in at #8, between Drew Brees and Albert Pujols.

Wait, what about all those SI covers and ESPY Awards?

If I'm selling t-shirts I'll take Ronaldo (even the old fat one), Messi, and Eto'o over any of these guys. I'll do well in América, Africa, Europe, and just about every place else; you can sell shirts in Jersey.

andy1234 said:
Ask anyone outside the US who those American football and baseball players are and you will be met with a confused stare...

Federer, Woods, Armstrong, Bolt etc are truly global.

Too right; I looked the dude up but I have no idea of what a quarterback does. I like it that our football players don't wear all that body armour.. well they used not to ;-(

I agree that Lance has a far wider public awareness, which makes him very vulnerable at the moment.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Paco_P said:
If I'm selling t-shirts I'll take Ronaldo (even the old fat one), Messi, and Eto'o over any of these guys.

According to that list the second most powerful football (soccer) player is Landon Donovan.

It's certainly just about the US.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
So, now every article written on the subject of sports, including one appearing in Bloomberg Businessweek and written by this guy is flippantly dismissed as "sports journalism".

Talk about losing one's compass...

...very funny that you would bring up a business paper as an example of a credible news provider...

...so is a business paper a credible source for anything other than starting fires in our wood-stove?...frankly, that is a resounding no!...in fact, in the cosmic order of things journalistic, the sports section has scads more credibility than the business section...but in the end they are both still sad jokes....

Cheers

blutto

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ridiculous list. Bode Miller, the greatest men's alpine skiier ever from the USA isn't even on the list. He has millions of fans all over the world.

Ok, obviously the forest is getting in the way of one very large tree.

Look at it this way:

Lance Armstrong is an AMERICAN. Over and over on here, posters refer to his "popularity" and connections HERE IN THE US as an indication that he will avoid any grand jury indictments.

The link I provided is an article, published by a respected AMERICAN business journal, that seeks to apply a metric to AMERICAN sports personalities.

In that analysis, regardless of whatever "effort" others may make to the contrary, Lance comes out ranked significantly lower than a number of other AMERICAN sports stars IN AMERICA.

The point is not that Armstrong is not more pupular globally than an NBA of NFL star, or even a golfer. The point is that in America, where he's under investigation (and where it matters), he's not exactly at the top of the popularity list.

And sorry blutto, but if your crowd is going to post moronic links to every blogger you can drag out of a corner booth at Starbucks as proof of your boy's popularity, then I can drag out Businessweek...

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
Ok, obviously the forest is getting in the way of one very large tree.

Look at it this way:

Lance Armstrong is an AMERICAN. Over and over on here, posters refer to his "popularity" and connections HERE IN THE US as an indication that he will avoid any grand jury indictments.

The link I provided is an article, published by a respected AMERICAN business journal, that seeks to apply a metric to AMERICAN sports personalities.

In that analysis, regardless of whatever "effort" others may make to the contrary, Lance comes out ranked significantly lower than a number of other AMERICAN sports stars IN AMERICA.

The point is not that Armstrong is not more pupular globally than an NBA of NFL star, or even a golfer. The point is that in America, where he's under investigation (and where it matters), he's not exactly at the top of the popularity list.

And sorry blutto, but if your crowd is going to post moronic links to every blogger you can drag out of a corner booth at Starbucks as proof of your boy's popularity, then I can drag our Businessweek...

IMlessthanHO Lance's "power" is as fleeting as Caesar's. Any argument that suggests he is being targeted because of the magnitude of his appeal or what he contributes to "cycling" would come from his paid or non-paid defenders, not a realistic observer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS