• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 271 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I’m chewing on my hat. And it will take quite a while to fully consume it. It tastes terrible.

I’ve questioned mvp all the way since his supreme condition in cross season. And was wrong. He’s hit his main objectives on the season short of Olympics. Nothing can stop him. Except for pogi
Hahaha i remember that. I knew he wasn't close to his best. Glasgow was another level. And in cross his 17/18 (or was it 18/19?) season was much better

Reactions: scribers and xo 1
Should this be reiterated? I'll oblige: Best one-day racer on the planet bar NONE. Ask any cyclist what his wildest dream would consist of in terms of one-day races and winning the double Flanders/Roubaix as a world champion in solo fashion for a combined 110km would be right up there.

Legendary racer for the ages. And he's still "only" 29.
Definitely the most dominating (physically and mentally) and impressive Spring season I’ve ever seen.

But just to be slightly annoying, his palmares this Spring don’t (yet) top Cancellara’s from 2013:
3rd San Remo
1st E3
1st RvV
1st Roubaix

But I know MVDP could have easily podiumed MSR except he rode for a teammate instead, which is even more impressive. And of course there’s still more to come,

Last edited:
Definitely the most dominating (physically and mentally) and impressive Spring season I’ve ever seen.

But just to be slightly annoying, his palmares this Spring don’t (yet) top Cancellara’s from 2013:
3rd San Remo
1st E3
1st RvV
1st Roubaix

But I know he could have easily podiumed MSR except he rode for a teammate instead, which is even more impressive. And of course there’s still more to come,
You basically answered your own point. I agree that Mathieu could have probably at the very least podiumed at MSR had he just raced for himself (which I think he should have done). Moreover, I don't think Cancellara won those races in an equally dominating fashion (as you mentioned) nor did he do it as a World Champ (I realize it's not in the same cycling season, but it adds to the legend).

And yes, to top it off the season isn't over yet for Mathieu...

You basically answered your own point. I agree that Mathieu could have probably at the very least podiumed at MSR had he just raced for himself (which I think he should have done). Moreover, I don't think Cancellara won those races in an equally dominating fashion (as you mentioned) nor did he do it as a World Champ (I realize it's not in the same cycling season, but it adds to the legend).

And yes, to top it off the season isn't over yet for Mathieu...
Oh I agree with you: just reflecting on how palmares alone are a great achievement but don’t always reflect how strong or dominant a rider is.

Reactions: Spine Concept
Oh I agree with you: just reflecting on how palmares alone are a great achievement but don’t always reflect how strong or dominant a rider is.
yup..
I mean Boonen won GW + E3 + RVV + PR I think in one season.. And still I found that less impressive than this years VDP

Boonen E3 = mass sprint 50 men
Boonen GW = Group sprint 15 men
RVV = 3 men sprint
PR = 53k solo

Not the same as 3 big solo's + helping your teammate win MSR

If he wins LBL against Pogacar, the velodor is safe in my opinion. Pogacar has to win at least giro and tour double to beat this.
That is a big if. MvdP is in great shape; that is clear. However, Pogi's 80k solo was also pretty impressive, and LBL is very close to Pogi's natural skills. I am hoping for a great battle, but at this time, I am giving Pogi the benefit of the doubt.

All time great rider, no doubt, but what an absolute shame that the only rider and team who REALLY can put him in trouble is completely MIA. Not that it diminishes his effort today, it really doesn't in the way he won it, but we got robbed collectively.

When he's on, he's got the anerobic efforts of prime Gilbert and aerobic efforts of prime Cancellara. Then you add the technique and understanding of the race yeah, this competition is just left without anything to do. He made them look foolish today, and it makes you wonder how a prime Wout and Visma would have done, because it was simply too easy