• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 276 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
First of all, Pogacar is not 5 years younger, but 3.
Second, Van Der Poel started to ride monuments in 2019, just as Pogacar.
Third, Van Der Poel won 3 different monuments + worlds. Pogacar didn't won worlds.
Fourth, Pogacar won 5 other classics, Van Der Poel won 6
Fifth, Van Der Poel won 22 one-day races, Pogacar 13
And sixth, I don't give a damn who's on track to do what in his career, I can only speak what they have done until now.
How many one day races did they do?

First of all, Pogacar is not 5 years younger, but 3.
Second, Van Der Poel started to ride monuments in 2019, just as Pogacar.
Third, Van Der Poel won 3 different monuments + worlds. Pogacar didn't won worlds.
Fourth, Pogacar won 5 other classics, Van Der Poel won 6
Fifth, Van Der Poel won 22 one-day races, Pogacar 13
And sixth, I don't give a damn who's on track to do what in his career, I can only speak what they have done until now.
Allez Blanco

We could go on and on with this, but the fact is that Mathieu Van Der Poel has more wins, more big wins, more big classics, more podiums, more top 10's in one-day races. In fact I can't find one single parameter in which Pogacar has the edge.
Pogacar is way better in hilly classics. Dude, can you read? Pogacar is one of the best in cobbled classics too and last year worlds he was clearly affcted by the fatigue (yes, he rides GT's to win, not to prep other races).

Reactions: AmRacer
Pogacar has won 5 monuments to Van der Poel’s 6+Worlds, at 5 years younger, the same total number of different monuments, and has a similar number of non monument classics wins. He is probably on track to win more total monuments in his career. Or do the monuments with real climbs not matter?
5 years younger is no argument. Van der Poel's road career started way later. He effectively switched fully since 2019. That is the crazy part. They have a relatively same start to their pro road careers

5 years younger is no argument. Van der Poel's road career started way later. He effectively switched fully since 2019. That is the crazy part. They have a relatively same start to their pro road careers
Van der Poel is a part time cycling road rider.

Yeah, 5 years younger is no argument, because it also matters when a rider started at high level.

Look at Quintana and Roglic. They are 34 years.

Roglic is more young than Quintana because he started more later on a high level.

Quintana appeared very young, but when he entered the 30s he started to decline.
Roglic is still at a high level.

Reactions: Dekker_Tifosi
Pogacar is way better in hilly classics. Dude, can you read? Pogacar is one of the best in cobbled classics too and last year worlds he was clearly affcted by the fatigue (yes, he rides GT's to win, not to prep other races).
Then we can declare him being the best hilly classics rider of the peloton. Is that ok?
And who rides where and what before something, I would just leave that discussion aside...

One rider trains only for the biggest one day races
The other rider trains for same races and GT's.
Van der poel trains for one day races, mountain bike races and cyclocross.

He is just a part time cycling road rider, and Pogacar and the other riders are very lucky about that, because if he focus only on cycling road, it would be very scary for them.

Arguing over whether MvDP or Pog is better is pointless. Clearly they have different talents. The argument is only about which talents are more "important" which is something only the viewer can decide for themselves. Might as well argue whether green or blue is a more important color.
The debate over who is the best can only be about who is the best in one day races. Overall it's impossible to compare who is the better rider.

There's not a best rider in the world at the moment. There's a group of 3 to 6 riders who are the best riders in the world.

In 5 years we will see who is the better rider overall.
But deep down even the biggest van der poel fans already know today, that pogacar is the better rider.
At one day races they are more less the same. But Pogacar is also one of the two best stage racer in the world.

In 5 years we will see who is the better rider overall.
But deep down even the biggest van der poel fans already know today, that pogacar is the better rider.
At one day races they are more less the same. But Pogacar is also one of the two best stage racer in the world.
How can you compare overall if van der poel just does one day races, and Pogacar just does cycling road and not mountain bike and cyclocross?

You can compare just in one day races, nothing more.

Reactions: Spine Concept
The dilemma with the discussion is that some people put a lot of weight into CX and MTB and others are only focusing on road.

When one have the point of view that Cx/MTB is irrelevant in this section of the forum it makes sense to talk about “the best road cyclist” and “the best cyclist” as the same.

With that point of view one cannot look away from Pogacar being the best. VDP is absolutely fantastic, but is still “only” a clear second in my eyes and it’s no shame to be second to what I think is the best cyclist in the last 35 years.

Reactions: Cassirer
The dilemma with the discussion is that some people put a lot of weight into CX and MTB and others are only focusing on road.

When one have the point of view that Cx/MTB is irrelevant in this section of the forum it makes sense to talk about “the best road cyclist” and “the best cyclist” as the same.

With that point of view one cannot look away from Pogacar being the best. VDP is absolutely fantastic, but is still “only” a clear second in my eyes and it’s no shame to be second to what I think is the best cyclist in the last 35 years.
You cannot "just" ignore CX/MTB though as it obviously takes away from Mathieu focusing 100% on the road and to venture into improving in other disciplines on the road (TT's, Climbing). His schedule in the past years (especially in the last Olympic year) was insane.

If you can use the "Pogi is the best in his specialty" argument for him than you can certainly use the CX/MTB argument for Mathieu. You simply cannot ignore it. What's more, it has also "impeded" Mathieu from switching to the road earlier...

Having said the above, it's funny how "accumulated fatigue" can be an argument for Pogi but not for Mathieu.

Last edited:
At the end of the day I'm a fan of both Pogi and Mathieu because of their riding style. I'd rather watch a rider go balls to the wall and break the race open at the earliest possible moment instead of just riding defensively and waiting until the last possible moment to attack.

We should just enjoy them both and be happy that we're alive in the VdP-Pogi era.

Reactions: jmdirt
You cannot "just" ignore CX/MTB though as it obviously takes away from Mathieu focusing 100% on the road and to venture into improving in other disciplines on the road (TT's, Climbing). His schedule in the past years (especially in the last Olympic year) was insane.

If you can use the "Pogi is the best in his specialty" argument for him than you can certainly use the CX/MTB argument for Mathieu. You simply cannot ignore it. What's more it has also "impeded" Mathieu from switching to the road earlier...
I am a very big fan of Mathieu for what he’s doing at the road and I have no problem with ignoring the results he’s having in MTB/Cyclocross, they mean basically nothing to me as I don’t follow these sports more than “oh Mathieu won WC again, he’s such a great athlete”.

I think it’s fair to limit the discussion to road cycling on the road forum if one want that.
The important thing is that the people discussing are being clear, so you don’t end up with a discussion where people are discussing different things.