• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 277 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The debate over who is the best can only be about who is the best in one day races. Overall it's impossible to compare who is the better rider.
According to you. Other posters here are arguing about stage racing though. And even in the realm of one day races there is a variety of parcours that suit each rider differently, so it comes down to how you weight the different possible parcours.
I think it’s fair to limit the discussion to road cycling on the road forum if one want that.
Riders like MVDP, WVA, and Pidcock, plus the rise in popularity of mixed-surface events, render this forum's classification obsolete. The reality is that the people who want to exclude those other disciplines from consideration do so only because of personal preference, and not due to any objective standard. Glasgow Worlds or RVV arguably has more in common with a CX or "gravel" race than they do with a stage that finishes on the Stelvio.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93
I need to somehow just say no to Chris Horner's stuff. Another backhand to MVDP today when decided to lower himself and delve into CX to inform us that Piddy is a better CX bike handler in than MVDP. Is Piddy a great descender on the road, yes. Is he handy on the MTB, yes. But to say he (or anyone else for that matter) in the same stratosphere as MVDP at driving a CX bike is maybe the most asinine take in a long line of asinine takes relating to MVDP from our boy Chris.

Pogacar has won 5 monuments to Van der Poel’s 6+Worlds, at 5 years younger, the same total number of different monuments, and has a similar number of non monument classics wins. He is probably on track to win more total monuments in his career. Or do the monuments with real climbs not matter?
Lombardia matters. But let's be honest, it matters quite a bit less.
The 10 editions before Pogcineration:

16px-Flag_of_Switzerland_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
Switzerland
Oliver ZauggLeopard Trek
23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png
Spain
Joaquim RodríguezTeam Katusha
23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png
Spain
Joaquim RodríguezTeam Katusha
23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png
Ireland
Daniel MartinGarmin–Sharp
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy
Vincenzo NibaliAstana
23px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png
Colombia
Esteban ChavesOrica–BikeExchange
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy
Vincenzo NibaliBahrain–Merida
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France
Thibaut PinotGroupama–FDJ
23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png
Netherlands
Bauke MollemaTrek–Segafredo
20px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png
Denmark
Jakob FuglsangAstana

Reactions: proffate
I need to somehow just say no to Chris Horner's stuff. Another backhand to MVDP today when decided to lower himself and delve into CX to inform us that Piddy is a better CX bike handler in than MVDP. Is Piddy a great descender on the road, yes. Is he handy on the MTB, yes. But to say he (or anyone else for that matter) in the same stratosphere as MVDP at driving a CX bike is maybe the most asinine take in a long line of asinine takes relating to MVDP from our boy Chris.
He's trolling mvdp fans. But i watched it too and rolled my eyes, but to be honest I think he is trying to say Pidcock is better bike handler in terms of road racing and focused a lot on his descending

Only weak winner is Zaug (who’s one of the weakest of any monument winner list) but that list is comparable to RVV and PR list of winners. Those had weak editions/winners as well the 10 years before MVDP. GDL list is made of riders who challenged in monuments and grand tours with some getting multiple podiums in them.

but Lombardia is often more of an after thought for cyclist at the end of a season, and not a season long goal like RVV or LBL... that's the issue a bit. So you get a relative impressive startlist of climbers but like 90% are not anywhere near peak shape. So for me, while it's a monument it is not on the level of LBL or RVV
Indeed, that's also clear when you look at the list of winners there in the past

Reactions: Dekker_Tifosi
Indeed, that's also clear when you look at the list of winners there in the past
Yeah,
Pogacar, Nibali, Purito, Gilbert, Cunego, Bettini, Di Luca, Bartoli, Jalabert, Rominger, Kelly, Argentin, Hinault, Saronni, Moser, De Vlaeminck, Gimondi, Merckx, Van Looy, Coppi, Bobet, Bartali,Binda, Girardengo, Pelissier.
I think when you see the list, it's pretty clear what is the level of this race.

Reactions: Sciatic and Didinho
Yeah,
Pogacar, Nibali, Purito, Gilbert, Cunego, Bettini, Di Luca, Bartoli, Jalabert, Rominger, Kelly, Argentin, Hinault, Saronni, Moser, De Vlaeminck, Gimondi, Merckx, Van Looy, Coppi, Bobet, Bartali,Binda, Girardengo, Pelissier.
I think when you see the list, it's pretty clear what is the level of this race.
I was mostly looking at the past 20 years, and if you then look at the opposition, as well as how those riders did the rest of the season you know that the field just isn't as impressive as is the case for De Ronde, Roubaix and Liege.

That's just complete nincompoop from Horner. Yes Piddles is a great bike handler but even he is behind Van der Poel. Namur 2019 is a good example of my point.

Then on the GT vs One day races / Classics vs CX/MTB and Pog vs MVDP. Surely there is no clear cut answer. It all comes down to what you value the highest. I fail to see why GT wins are so highly appreciated but just lets say that a GT should be valued 2x a win in a one day race and 4x a WC win in CX etc well then Pog is clearly the best rider of this generation but it comes down to focus and genes.

My take on the previous generation of top riders is that Boonen and Cancellara were the best followed by Sagan, Valverde and Gilbert. I remember the GT riders but I rate them way below eg Froome, Evans, Quintana, Contador, but that's just me.

I was mostly looking at the past 20 years, and if you then look at the opposition, as well as how those riders did the rest of the season you know that the field just isn't as impressive as is the case for De Ronde, Roubaix and Liege.
Well, I think it depends, from year to year I guess. Last year we had Pogacar, Roglic, Remco, year before Vingegaard was there too.
Some years field is weaker indeed, but mostly when the worlds isn't hilly, then we get only Vuelta climbers, those from the Tour rather take a break.
We also had a period when best climbers (Froome, Contador, Quintana), were not doing one-day races much and were not particularly good in them. In those years we maybe had slight weaker field, and maybe you're referring to that period. But even then we had Nibali, Valverde, Purito, Pinot.., and the racing was quite good.
I don't know.., for me Lombardia is "full time" monument, not lesser than other monuments.

Then on the GT vs One day races / Classics vs CX/MTB and Pog vs MVDP. Surely there is no clear cut answer. It all comes down to what you value the highest. I fail to see why GT wins are so highly appreciated but just lets say that a GT should be valued 2x a win in a one day race and 4x a WC win in CX etc well then Pog is clearly the best rider of this generation but it comes down to focus and genes.
Because of the tours importance fame-/moneywise I think that everyone who has the ability will try to be successful in GTs and otherwise, although that sounds a bit harsh, has to settle for whatever else there is. I think that if mvdp or wout were sure they could be competitive in the tour, they would make the switch, it's just that they are not and therefore they can't risk their success in the classics. That's my take in a super old debate at least, could of course be completely wrong and the world champion driving his lamborghini pities the suffering near-anorexic existence of a GT rider who needs to work weeks instead of days for his wins.

Only weak winner is Zaug (who’s one of the weakest of any monument winner list) but that list is comparable to RVV and PR list of winners. Those had weak editions/winners as well the 10 years before MVDP. GDL list is made of riders who challenged in monuments and grand tours with some getting multiple podiums
If there was a cycling hall of fame, only Nibali would be a no-brainer

If you look at the list posted by saunaking, how can you judge that as a 'weak' list? Nibali, Quim Rodriguez, Dan Martin, Pinot, Mollema, Fuglsang, they were all top riders in those years they won the race. But a Flanders also has a Bettiol on the list.
Yeah, but most dont stand the test of time as 'greats'. Also the 1st 4 monuments are mega targets, guys just show up at lombardia depending on their schedule that year. Its basically Italian San Sebastian:p